Dell 3000 - Crippled from Birth

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Leythos, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:50:10 -0500, Jamie wrote:
    [snip whining]

    You had an opportunity to learn about all of those items BEFORE you bought
    that cheap system. Why are you bitching about your failure to do your
    homework before purchasing a system?

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Jamie;
    Return it to Dell and be sure you give an explanation.
    You may also want to send a letter to Customer Service.
    This newsgroup may be a good place to vent but the chance is very slim
    anyone of importance at Dell will see it.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Leythos

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated cardboard for the case instead
    > of that expensive metal?

    While corrugated cardboard might help keep a system quiet, its a little
    more thermally insulating, so would be harder to keep cool.

    As Dell machines usually run quite quiet in a metal case I can't see this
    being an issue...

    If you failed to read the specifications for the PC you bought, and
    didn't realise you were getting one without an AGP slot, perhaps you can
    console yourself by remembering how cheap the machine was.

    Jamie, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Leythos

    David Guest

    >Jamie ranted
    >Thanks Dell! You suck!!

    This system is REGULARLY on sale for around $400.00 (US) often
    with a flat panel LCD monitor. What do you expect for this price.
    It is a good deal. If you can do better just buy that instead.
    The specs of this system are no secret.
    I am about ready to stop reading this news group. It is such
    a bitch session anymore. If you dont like Dell dont buy Dell.
    I buy whatever is the best value (Dell or another brand...) Just
    bought an HP laptop...it was a better deal than Dell (and came with
    an oem windows xp cd....I was shocked).
    Why did you not return the computer...they DO have a money back
    guarantee.
    Dave

    David, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Jamie wrote:
    > Crippled video upgradability: NO video slot, just 3 meezly PCI slots
    > You get a nice solder
    > pattern of holes where it COULD have been!
    >
    > Crippled memory upgradability: Two memory slots, now full with two 256MB
    > sticks.
    > Upgrading renders
    > those excess now have to buy twice as much to get to 1GB.
    > You get a nice solder
    > pattern of holes where two slots COULD have been!
    > Save a whole nickel
    > and screw us good!!
    >
    > Crippled Floppy Disk: No bracket unless you buy it from
    > them! $$ for a shit piece of metal.
    >
    > Crippled Hard Drive: No bracket unless you buy it from
    > them! $$ for a shit piece of metal.
    > Only one connector on
    > the drive cable! Gotta replace that too for a 2nd drive.
    >
    > But they DID screw up! They gave me a data cable for the CD with TWO, count
    > 'em TWO, connectors so I don't have to replace that cable! Hurry and order
    > this crippled POS before they can figure out what else they can get away
    > with stripping out of the system. Hey Dell, why not switch to corregated
    > cardboard for the case instead of that expensive metal?!
    >
    > Thanks Dell! You suck!!

    I have to agree with the others on this one, Dell is not the one who
    screwed up here, rather the customer didn't know what they were getting
    into.

    When you buy a very inexpensive system, you limit your ability to
    upgrade the machine. Dell did not hide the fact that the box doesn't
    have a graphics card slot, they didn't hide the fact that both memory
    slots were full. These items are clearly stated in the details.

    This is right from the system specs

    Memory
    256 MB (single channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

    512 MB - 1 GB (dual channel) shared3 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

    Note: 400MHz memory performs at 333MHz with 533MHz front side bus
    processor

    2 DIMM slots

    Slots
    3 PCI slots

    According to these specs, right from www.dell.com, you got EXACTLY what
    the 3000 comes with. Plain as day

    Patrick L. Parks, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Leythos

    gringo Guest

    if you know so much about computers, go out and build your own - you stupid
    twat.

    gringo, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Leythos

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Let me see.... You bought a system based purely on price without a clue as
    to what is in it or how to expand it. Now you're pissed at Dell...

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I know....... Here's what you should do..........

    GO AWAY!!!!!

    --
    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Feb 26, 2005
  9. Leythos

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I'm doubtful that the asshole even bought one........

    --
    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Feb 26, 2005
  10. Leythos

    schema Guest

    Whine, whine, whine, What the hell do you expect for a few dollars.
    Spend some money and get a real Dell!

    schema, Feb 26, 2005
  11. Leythos

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not a Dellbot. I only service Dells and other computers for a living. You
    got good value for the money. Try building your own with the more or less the
    same specifications and see what the price tag is for the parts. If you don't
    like the computer, return it or sell it off to someone who would appreciate it
    and cut your losses. Then either build your own or spend more money to get a
    computer that actually meets your needs. For the money, the low-end Dells are a
    better value than HP, Compaq, eMachines, Gateway or most any other name-brand.
    If you bought strictly on price, you got everything that you paid for.

    The configuration of the DDR memory is typical. Manufacturers almost always
    split the memory into two DDR DIMMs, rather than using a single one. Costs less
    to manufacture, and gives marginally better performance.

    Dell uses a somewhat custom chassis which requires mounting brackets for floppy
    and hard drive. Well, guess what? So do other name brand computers! If you
    needed a floppy diskette drive, you could have ordered one at the time you
    bought the system. It is not too late. You can still buy one from Dell or on
    the open market for maybe $30 including drive and bracket.

    No disk drive bracket? Do you mean to say that you got the system without a
    hard disk. Hardly unlikely. What's your beef? Oh, a SECOND hard drive?

    I've tried hard not to flame back at you, so I'll stop for now before the flames
    really blast out.

    Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware. In other words, find out what you will be
    getting before you buy. It's not really easy to do so, but not that difficult
    either... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 26, 2005
  12. Leythos

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'll give him $175 for it.

    It's a nice little box for the money.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 26, 2005
  13. Leythos

    JJO Guest

    Agree that one simply cannot build a system for the price of those little
    2400 and 3000 boxes. We needed another budget system for the home and just
    bought a 2400 with a very nice Celeron setup for $299 Canadian and no
    shipping charge. How can a person possibly beat that price. I cannot even
    attempt to buy the components for anywhere near that price. You do get what
    you pay for and what I paid for was a sweet little budget system.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Feb 26, 2005
  14. Leythos

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:37:23 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:50:10 -0500, Jamie wrote:
    >[snip whining]
    >
    >You had an opportunity to learn about all of those items BEFORE you bought
    >that cheap system. Why are you bitching about your failure to do your
    >homework before purchasing a system?

    You said it. What a ding-dong. Serves him right.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Paul Knudsen, Feb 26, 2005
  15. Leythos

    Ajax Guest

    I agree with this. If u hate DELL so much, why do u people crib about
    it??? DOnt buy it . As simple as that.Its more like people who dont
    much about computers are overwhelmed by it , and start thinking DELL
    is selling them things that dont work, where as in truth, these dumb
    people dont know how to use the computer. THE COLD TRUTH. And this you
    are hearing from a TECH SUPPORT specialist of wireless department
    based in India fro DELL Computer corporation.

    Ajax, Mar 14, 2005