    Meanwhile I'm going to try to see what type drive and see if I can
    just swap out a spare laptop drive with the existing one. If not,
    wonder if my old 1100 or 1405 can swap with this one?

    RnR, Feb 15, 2012

  2. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:59:31 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >Got my daughter's old laptop back and I decided to try to format it.
    >Problem is it won't boot up. On the device status lights, the 2nd
    >from the left (4 total) flickers fast then goes out as the laptop
    >seems to want to boot up. The manual says this light "turns on when
    >the computer reads and writes data" so I'm assuming a bad drive????
    >Meanwhile I'm going to try to see what type drive and see if I can
    >just swap out a spare laptop drive with the existing one. If not,
    >wonder if my old 1100 or 1405 can swap with this one?

    Never mind.... I think maybe the battery was too weak. I had it on
    electric for about 15 to 30 minutes and now it's booting up to the xp
    welcome screen. I like it when it fixes itself <grin>.

    RnR, Feb 15, 2012

  3. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:03:18 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:59:31 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Got my daughter's old laptop back and I decided to try to format it.
    >>Problem is it won't boot up. On the device status lights, the 2nd
    >>from the left (4 total) flickers fast then goes out as the laptop
    >>seems to want to boot up. The manual says this light "turns on when
    >>the computer reads and writes data" so I'm assuming a bad drive????
    >>Meanwhile I'm going to try to see what type drive and see if I can
    >>just swap out a spare laptop drive with the existing one. If not,
    >>wonder if my old 1100 or 1405 can swap with this one?

    >Never mind.... I think maybe the battery was too weak. I had it on
    >electric for about 15 to 30 minutes and now it's booting up to the xp
    >welcome screen. I like it when it fixes itself <grin>.

    Well crap, it got stuck in the welcome screen since I forgot my
    password and so I tried to reboot and now it's doing the same thing as
    before. I had it plugged in too all the while. Now I just thought
    about the CMOS battery. Could it be so weak that it's causing this
    failure to boot? I don't think this laptop has been used or plugged
    in for a couple of years.

    RnR, Feb 15, 2012
  4. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:18:54 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:03:18 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:59:31 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Got my daughter's old laptop back and I decided to try to format it.
    >>>Problem is it won't boot up. On the device status lights, the 2nd
    >>>from the left (4 total) flickers fast then goes out as the laptop
    >>>seems to want to boot up. The manual says this light "turns on when
    >>>the computer reads and writes data" so I'm assuming a bad drive????
    >>>Meanwhile I'm going to try to see what type drive and see if I can
    >>>just swap out a spare laptop drive with the existing one. If not,
    >>>wonder if my old 1100 or 1405 can swap with this one?

    >>Never mind.... I think maybe the battery was too weak. I had it on
    >>electric for about 15 to 30 minutes and now it's booting up to the xp
    >>welcome screen. I like it when it fixes itself <grin>.

    >Well crap, it got stuck in the welcome screen since I forgot my
    >password and so I tried to reboot and now it's doing the same thing as
    >before. I had it plugged in too all the while. Now I just thought
    >about the CMOS battery. Could it be so weak that it's causing this
    >failure to boot? I don't think this laptop has been used or plugged
    >in for a couple of years.

    Continuing this saga... I got it to boot up now and into my name so it
    appears to work but I still wonder if the CMOS battery is weak? Will
    it charge up if the laptop is plugged in? Sorry for all my posts in
    this thread....

    RnR, Feb 15, 2012
  5. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    RnR wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:18:54 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:03:18 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >>> Never mind.... I think maybe the battery was too weak. I had it on
    >>> electric for about 15 to 30 minutes and now it's booting up to the
    >>> xp welcome screen. I like it when it fixes itself <grin>.

    >> Well crap, it got stuck in the welcome screen since I forgot my
    >> password and so I tried to reboot and now it's doing the same thing
    >> as before. I had it plugged in too all the while. Now I just
    >> thought about the CMOS battery. Could it be so weak that it's
    >> causing this failure to boot? I don't think this laptop has been
    >> used or plugged in for a couple of years.

    > Continuing this saga... I got it to boot up now and into my name so it
    > appears to work but I still wonder if the CMOS battery is weak? Will
    > it charge up if the laptop is plugged in? Sorry for all my posts in
    > this thread....

    I don't know about most Dells, but some laptops have weird CMOS charging
    restrictions. And this information is usually hard to find out (service
    manual usually says though). Sometimes they have to be powered on to
    charge (not just plugged in and off). Although any power on state should
    be ok even at the BIOS Setup. And my old Toshiba 2595XDVD is even more
    restrictive before charging the CMOS battery. As the laptop screen has
    to be lit too or it won't charge (there is a hotkey to toggle the screen
    on and off). And generally speaking, virtually all laptops take between
    12 to 24 hours to fully charge a CMOS battery.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Feb 15, 2012
  6. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:36:53 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >RnR wrote:

    >>> Well crap, it got stuck in the welcome screen since I forgot my
    >>> password and so I tried to reboot and now it's doing the same thing
    >>> as before. I had it plugged in too all the while. Now I just
    >>> thought about the CMOS battery. Could it be so weak that it's
    >>> causing this failure to boot? I don't think this laptop has been
    >>> used or plugged in for a couple of years.

    >> Continuing this saga... I got it to boot up now and into my name so it
    >> appears to work but I still wonder if the CMOS battery is weak? Will
    >> it charge up if the laptop is plugged in? Sorry for all my posts in
    >> this thread....

    >I don't know about most Dells, but some laptops have weird CMOS charging
    >restrictions. And this information is usually hard to find out (service
    >manual usually says though). Sometimes they have to be powered on to
    >charge (not just plugged in and off). Although any power on state should
    >be ok even at the BIOS Setup. And my old Toshiba 2595XDVD is even more
    >restrictive before charging the CMOS battery. As the laptop screen has
    >to be lit too or it won't charge (there is a hotkey to toggle the screen
    >on and off). And generally speaking, virtually all laptops take between
    >12 to 24 hours to fully charge a CMOS battery.

    Thanks Bill. I found the manual and service manual on line so I'll
    read both in regard to the CMOS battery. Thank You !!!

    RnR, Feb 15, 2012
  7. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:36:53 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >RnR wrote:

    >>> Well crap, it got stuck in the welcome screen since I forgot my
    >>> password and so I tried to reboot and now it's doing the same thing
    >>> as before. I had it plugged in too all the while. Now I just
    >>> thought about the CMOS battery. Could it be so weak that it's
    >>> causing this failure to boot? I don't think this laptop has been
    >>> used or plugged in for a couple of years.

    >> Continuing this saga... I got it to boot up now and into my name so it
    >> appears to work but I still wonder if the CMOS battery is weak? Will
    >> it charge up if the laptop is plugged in? Sorry for all my posts in
    >> this thread....

    >I don't know about most Dells, but some laptops have weird CMOS charging
    >restrictions. And this information is usually hard to find out (service
    >manual usually says though). Sometimes they have to be powered on to
    >charge (not just plugged in and off). Although any power on state should
    >be ok even at the BIOS Setup. And my old Toshiba 2595XDVD is even more
    >restrictive before charging the CMOS battery. As the laptop screen has
    >to be lit too or it won't charge (there is a hotkey to toggle the screen
    >on and off). And generally speaking, virtually all laptops take between
    >12 to 24 hours to fully charge a CMOS battery.

    Well had it on charger over nite and it booted up fine 2 or 3 times.
    Waited about 20 minutes or so and turned it on again and this time, no
    dice. I figure it's got to be the CMOS battery or reserve battery as
    Dell likes to refer to. I just wish there was a way to monitor this
    CMOS battery as the regular battery (now fully charged). Problem is
    whether I want to spend for the replacement CMOS battery for a 6 yr
    old laptop that otherwise works fine?? I already have spare laptops
    collecting dust now. And I think another daughter will be buying a
    new laptop so I'll be adding to my laptop collection soon if true.
    I'll probably end up buying the CMOS battery reluctantly and watch the
    laptop collect dust :(

    RnR, Feb 16, 2012
  8. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    On 2/16/2012 7:26 AM, RnR wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:36:53 -0600, "BillW50"<> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> RnR wrote:

    >>> Continuing this saga... I got it to boot up now and into my name so it
    >>> appears to work but I still wonder if the CMOS battery is weak? Will
    >>> it charge up if the laptop is plugged in? Sorry for all my posts in
    >>> this thread....

    >> I don't know about most Dells, but some laptops have weird CMOS charging
    >> restrictions. And this information is usually hard to find out (service
    >> manual usually says though). Sometimes they have to be powered on to
    >> charge (not just plugged in and off). Although any power on state should
    >> be ok even at the BIOS Setup. And my old Toshiba 2595XDVD is even more
    >> restrictive before charging the CMOS battery. As the laptop screen has
    >> to be lit too or it won't charge (there is a hotkey to toggle the screen
    >> on and off). And generally speaking, virtually all laptops take between
    >> 12 to 24 hours to fully charge a CMOS battery.

    > Well had it on charger over nite and it booted up fine 2 or 3 times.
    > Waited about 20 minutes or so and turned it on again and this time, no
    > dice. I figure it's got to be the CMOS battery or reserve battery as
    > Dell likes to refer to. I just wish there was a way to monitor this
    > CMOS battery as the regular battery (now fully charged). Problem is
    > whether I want to spend for the replacement CMOS battery for a 6 yr
    > old laptop that otherwise works fine?? I already have spare laptops
    > collecting dust now. And I think another daughter will be buying a
    > new laptop so I'll be adding to my laptop collection soon if true.
    > I'll probably end up buying the CMOS battery reluctantly and watch the
    > laptop collect dust :(

    For me, it is hard to say what the problem is yet. As it sounds like it
    could be lots of things to me yet to put my finger on one or two things
    yet. And yes, it could be due to a weak CMOS battery, but a lot of
    laptops don't care if the CMOS battery is working or not. Unfortunately,
    some do care.

    If the trouble is the battery is just weak, which could cause lots of
    weird problems. So it might work better if the battery was disconnected.
    That way it wouldn't be stuck between good and bad states. Is it easy to
    get too just to test this idea?

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

    BillW50, Feb 16, 2012
  9. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:39:25 -0600, BillW50 <> wrote:

    >On 2/16/2012 7:26 AM, RnR wrote:
    >> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:36:53 -0600, "BillW50"<> wrote:

    >>> I don't know about most Dells, but some laptops have weird CMOS charging
    >>> restrictions. And this information is usually hard to find out (service
    >>> manual usually says though). Sometimes they have to be powered on to
    >>> charge (not just plugged in and off). Although any power on state should
    >>> be ok even at the BIOS Setup. And my old Toshiba 2595XDVD is even more
    >>> restrictive before charging the CMOS battery. As the laptop screen has
    >>> to be lit too or it won't charge (there is a hotkey to toggle the screen
    >>> on and off). And generally speaking, virtually all laptops take between
    >>> 12 to 24 hours to fully charge a CMOS battery.

    >> Well had it on charger over nite and it booted up fine 2 or 3 times.
    >> Waited about 20 minutes or so and turned it on again and this time, no
    >> dice. I figure it's got to be the CMOS battery or reserve battery as
    >> Dell likes to refer to. I just wish there was a way to monitor this
    >> CMOS battery as the regular battery (now fully charged). Problem is
    >> whether I want to spend for the replacement CMOS battery for a 6 yr
    >> old laptop that otherwise works fine?? I already have spare laptops
    >> collecting dust now. And I think another daughter will be buying a
    >> new laptop so I'll be adding to my laptop collection soon if true.
    >> I'll probably end up buying the CMOS battery reluctantly and watch the
    >> laptop collect dust :(

    >For me, it is hard to say what the problem is yet. As it sounds like it
    >could be lots of things to me yet to put my finger on one or two things
    >yet. And yes, it could be due to a weak CMOS battery, but a lot of
    >laptops don't care if the CMOS battery is working or not. Unfortunately,
    >some do care.
    >
    >If the trouble is the battery is just weak, which could cause lots of
    >weird problems. So it might work better if the battery was disconnected.
    >That way it wouldn't be stuck between good and bad states. Is it easy to
    >get too just to test this idea?

    Well I saw a cmos battery for $3.00 new with free shipping on Ebay so
    I bit the bullet and ordered it. I'll just take the chance. If I'm
    wrong, then it goes into the pile for parts or donating. Now if I'm
    right, it goes into the pile for collecting dust :(
    No wonder why I can't get rich this way....
    Last, thanks Bill for the help !!!!

    RnR, Feb 16, 2012
  10. RnR

    Larry Guest

    On Feb 16, 9:44 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:39:25 -0600, BillW50 <> wrote:

    > >> Well had it on charger over nite and it booted up fine 2 or 3 times.
    > >> Waited about 20 minutes or so and turned it on again and this time, no
    > >> dice.  I figure it's got to be the CMOS battery or reserve battery as
    > >> Dell likes to refer to.  I just wish there was a way to monitor this
    > >> CMOS battery as the regular battery (now fully charged).   Problem is
    > >> whether I want to spend for the replacement CMOS battery for a 6 yr
    > >> old laptop that otherwise works fine??  I already have spare laptops
    > >> collecting dust now.  And I think another daughter will be buying a
    > >> new laptop so I'll be adding to my laptop collection soon if true.
    > >> I'll probably end up buying the CMOS battery reluctantly and watch the
    > >> laptop collect dust  :(

    > >For me, it is hard to say what the problem is yet. As it sounds like it
    > >could be lots of things to me yet to put my finger on one or two things
    > >yet. And yes, it could be due to a weak CMOS battery, but a lot of
    > >laptops don't care if the CMOS battery is working or not. Unfortunately,
    > >some do care.

    > >If the trouble is the battery is just weak, which could cause lots of
    > >weird problems. So it might work better if the battery was disconnected.
    > >That way it wouldn't be stuck between good and bad states. Is it easy to
    > >get too just to test this idea?

    > Well I saw a cmos battery for $3.00 new with free shipping on Ebay so
    > I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I'll just take the chance.  If I'm
    > wrong, then it goes into the pile for parts or donating.  Now if I'm
    > right, it goes into the pile for collecting dust :(
    > No wonder why I can't get rich this way....
    > Last, thanks Bill for the help !!!!

    I have a 600m...it was a nice laptop with good graphics for the time
    and a solid build. About one month past the three year warranty, my
    screen went dark, but it works fine with an external monitor. I have
    some dos based games that I still play on it.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 16, 2012
  11. RnR

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Feb 16, 4:55 pm, Larry <> wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 9:44 am, "RnR" <> wrote:

    > > >For me, it is hard to say what the problem is yet. As it sounds like it
    > > >could be lots of things to me yet to put my finger on one or two things
    > > >yet. And yes, it could be due to a weak CMOS battery, but a lot of
    > > >laptops don't care if the CMOS battery is working or not. Unfortunately,
    > > >some do care.

    > > >If the trouble is the battery is just weak, which could cause lots of
    > > >weird problems. So it might work better if the battery was disconnected.
    > > >That way it wouldn't be stuck between good and bad states. Is it easy to
    > > >get too just to test this idea?

    > > Well I saw a cmos battery for $3.00 new with free shipping on Ebay so
    > > I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I'll just take the chance.  If I'm
    > > wrong, then it goes into the pile for parts or donating.  Now if I'm
    > > right, it goes into the pile for collecting dust :(
    > > No wonder why I can't get rich this way....
    > > Last, thanks Bill for the help !!!!

    > I have a 600m...it was a nice laptop with good graphics for the time
    > and a solid build.  About one month past the three year warranty, my
    > screen went dark, but it works fine with an external monitor.  I have
    > some dos based games that I still play on it.
    >
    > Larry

    I have 2 15R's (1545,N1050) that have LED back-lighting. Has anyone
    had any issues with these displays going out or are they pretty bullet-
    proof?

    Bob_Villa, Feb 17, 2012
  12. RnR

    Larry Guest

    On Feb 16, 5:44 pm, Bob_Villa <> wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 4:55 pm, Larry <> wrote:

    > > > Well I saw a cmos battery for $3.00 new with free shipping on Ebay so
    > > > I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I'll just take the chance.  If I'm
    > > > wrong, then it goes into the pile for parts or donating.  Now if I'm
    > > > right, it goes into the pile for collecting dust :(
    > > > No wonder why I can't get rich this way....
    > > > Last, thanks Bill for the help !!!!

    > > I have a 600m...it was a nice laptop with good graphics for the time
    > > and a solid build.  About one month past the three year warranty, my
    > > screen went dark, but it works fine with an external monitor.  I have
    > > some dos based games that I still play on it.

    > > Larry

    > I have 2 15R's (1545,N1050) that have LED back-lighting. Has anyone
    > had any issues with these displays going out or are they pretty bullet-
    > proof?

    Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 17, 2012
  13. RnR

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Feb 16, 8:36 pm, Larry <> wrote:

    > > I have 2 15R's (1545,N1050) that have LED back-lighting. Has anyone
    > > had any issues with these displays going out or are they pretty bullet-
    > > proof?

    > Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.
    >
    > Larry

    If it's 6 yrs old...most likely CCFL back-lit.

    Bob_Villa, Feb 17, 2012
  14. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Larry wrote:
    > Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    The florescent tube or the inverter is the most likely culprit. Used
    inverters usually sell for 20 bucks or less. And brand new florescent
    tubes are generally around 25 bucks. Although the lamps are generally
    hard to replace from within the LCD panel and most replace the whole LCD
    panel. Another option is buying a used top lid complete. Some prefer
    this method better.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Feb 17, 2012
  15. RnR

    Larry Guest

    On Feb 17, 6:04 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    >
    > Larry wrote:
    > > Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > > first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > > the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    > The florescent tube or the inverter is the most likely culprit. Used
    > inverters usually sell for 20 bucks or less. And brand new florescent
    > tubes are generally around 25 bucks. Although the lamps are generally
    > hard to replace from within the LCD panel and most replace the whole LCD
    > panel. Another option is buying a used top lid complete. Some prefer
    > this method better.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    Thanks for that information!

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 17, 2012
  16. On 2/16/2012 9:36 PM, Larry wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 5:44 pm, Bob_Villa<> wrote:

    >>> I have a 600m...it was a nice laptop with good graphics for the time
    >>> and a solid build. About one month past the three year warranty, my
    >>> screen went dark, but it works fine with an external monitor. I have
    >>> some dos based games that I still play on it.

    >>> Larry

    >> I have 2 15R's (1545,N1050) that have LED back-lighting. Has anyone
    >> had any issues with these displays going out or are they pretty bullet-
    >> proof?

    > Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.
    >
    > Larry

    larry, this sounds like an inverter problem. one thing you can try,
    which often confirms a inverter failure, is dimming the display... sick
    inverters will often work fine when not operating at full brightness, or
    at least will work longer at lower brightness than at full brightness.
    inverters are cheap on ebay for under $5 each but there are a couple of
    issues with them... 1) they are difficult to replace as you have to
    remove the screen assembly, and then open the screen assembly to install
    it 2) they are specific to the type/resolution of the display that you
    have and so you have to remove your current inverter to get the correct
    part number from it before you shop for a replacement. Finally, if you
    do find that the problem is with the lamp in the display and purchase a
    replacement display then you should also replace the inverter as a bad
    lamp over time ruins an inverter and after installing the new display
    the inverter can fail shortly thereafter.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 21, 2012
  17. RnR

    Larry Guest

    On Feb 21, 6:29 am, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    > On 2/16/2012 9:36 PM, Larry wrote:

    > >> I have 2 15R's (1545,N1050) that have LED back-lighting. Has anyone
    > >> had any issues with these displays going out or are they pretty bullet-
    > >> proof?

    > > Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > > first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > > the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    > > Larry

    > larry, this sounds like an inverter problem.  one thing you can try,
    > which often confirms a inverter failure, is dimming the display...  sick
    > inverters will often work fine when not operating at full brightness, or
    > at least will work longer at lower brightness than at full brightness.
    > inverters are cheap on ebay for under $5 each but there are a couple of
    > issues with them... 1) they are difficult to replace as you have to
    > remove the screen assembly, and then open the screen assembly to install
    > it 2) they are specific to the type/resolution of the display that you
    > have and so you have to remove your current inverter to get the correct
    > part number from it before you shop for a replacement.  Finally, if you
    > do find that the problem is with the lamp in the display and purchase a
    > replacement display then you should also replace the inverter as a bad
    > lamp over time ruins an inverter and after installing the new display
    > the inverter can fail shortly thereafter.

    Thanks for that info...
    Larry

    Larry, Feb 21, 2012
  18. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:04:28 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In
    >Larry wrote:
    >> Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    >> first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    >> the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    >The florescent tube or the inverter is the most likely culprit. Used
    >inverters usually sell for 20 bucks or less. And brand new florescent
    >tubes are generally around 25 bucks. Although the lamps are generally
    >hard to replace from within the LCD panel and most replace the whole LCD
    >panel. Another option is buying a used top lid complete. Some prefer
    >this method better.

    Any idea what the LCD panel costs? I tried new CMOS batteries and
    that did not work. I already had this laptop saved just for parts
    but if it's cheap to fix, maybe I will tho I really don't need it.

    RnR, Feb 22, 2012
  19. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:19:20 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:04:28 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    >
    >>In
    >>Larry wrote:
    >>> Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    >>> first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    >>> the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    >>The florescent tube or the inverter is the most likely culprit. Used
    >>inverters usually sell for 20 bucks or less. And brand new florescent
    >>tubes are generally around 25 bucks. Although the lamps are generally
    >>hard to replace from within the LCD panel and most replace the whole LCD
    >>panel. Another option is buying a used top lid complete. Some prefer
    >>this method better.

    >Any idea what the LCD panel costs? I tried new CMOS batteries and
    >that did not work. I already had this laptop saved just for parts
    >but if it's cheap to fix, maybe I will tho I really don't need it.

    My bad.... I'm confusing 2 laptops I'm currently working upon.
    For my 600m, the CMOS batteries did work on this laptop.

    Now on another laptop ( E1405) the screen boots up to 2 beeps and the
    CMOS batteries for it did not do the trick. I think that's the one I
    need the replacement screen but if it costs too much I'll just keep it
    for spare parts since we have another E1405 still working in the
    family.

    RnR, Feb 22, 2012
  20. RnR

    Larry Guest

    On Feb 22, 9:19 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:04:28 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > >In
    > >Larry wrote:
    > >> Mine is a 14" display. The display works for several seconds when it
    > >> first boots up, then goes dark. So it might be something other than
    > >> the display. As I said it works fine with an external monitor.

    > >The florescent tube or the inverter is the most likely culprit. Used
    > >inverters usually sell for 20 bucks or less. And brand new florescent
    > >tubes are generally around 25 bucks. Although the lamps are generally
    > >hard to replace from within the LCD panel and most replace the whole LCD
    > >panel. Another option is buying a used top lid complete. Some prefer
    > >this method better.

    > Any idea what the LCD panel costs?   I tried new CMOS batteries and
    > that did not work.   I already had this laptop saved just for parts
    > but if it's cheap to fix, maybe I will tho I really don't need it.

    Looks like ebay has a few for around $30.

    Larry

    Larry, Feb 22, 2012