Dell branded19" CRT standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Carl LaFong, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. Carl LaFong

    Carl LaFong Guest

    Has anyone reading this been told by Dell tech support that Dell branded 19
    inch CRT monitors cannot be exchanged after 120 days from purchase???

    I specifically refer to a Dell P992 purchase in 2002. Here is a paste from
    the accompanying CD re warranty:

    "During the second and third years of this limited warranty, Dell will
    provide, on an exchange basis and subject to Dell's Exchange Policy in
    effect on the date of the exchange, replacement parts for the Dell hardware
    product(s) covered under this limited warranty when a part requires
    replacement."

    No mention of 120 days anywhere in any of my documents.

    Does anyone have the fine print on "Dell Exchange Policy" as in the above
    paragraph? When you poke that link it just takes you to support.dell.com.

    Please advise if you have any insight into CRT monitor exchange denials
    when dealing with tech support in India.

    I could use a US-based customer care 800 number, but there may not be one?

    Carl LaFong, Nov 30, 2004

  2. all dell support calls are routed by chance and happenstance. You could get
    India, or Nashville, or Texas, or any number of spots in the USA. Your call
    is *mostly* routed by your express service code. so keep that number
    *ready*!

    Monitors are tied to the SYSTEM in home/small business situations. If your
    system has a 3 year warranty, so does your monitor. Note: Dell checks
    serial numbers as part of the troubleshooting process, so don't get the
    monitors messed up between two systems.

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - Some assembly required - like the WHOLE thing.

    personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Carl LaFong

    Carl LaFong Guest

    "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <> wrote in message
    > all dell support calls are routed by chance and happenstance. You could
    > get India, or Nashville, or Texas, or any number of spots in the USA.
    > Your call is *mostly* routed by your express service code. so keep that
    > number *ready*!
    >
    > Monitors are tied to the SYSTEM in home/small business situations. If
    > your system has a 3 year warranty, so does your monitor. Note: Dell
    > checks serial numbers as part of the troubleshooting process, so don't get
    > the monitors messed up between two systems.

    Dick:

    Thanks for the response.

    I have called 7 times in the last 2 weeks to either 800 624 9896 or 800 624
    9897. Invariably answered by a severe Indian accent. It seems to me that I
    am routed to India by virtue of choosing "home system" or words to that
    effect early in the voicemail tree.

    I have no "express service code" and never had one. All I have is an order
    number from the date of purchase and a "case number" that I got a couple of
    days ago. That is not the same as an "express service code"; nor is it a
    dispatch number.

    This was NOT a system purchase. It was a purchase of a P992 monitor only and
    therefore didn't have an express service code. All my documentation says 3
    year warranty.

    If you or anyone has clues to how to contact a US person without an express
    service code, please advise.

    If you or anyone has the fine print on exchange denials on monitors please
    advise.

    It's a long pathetic story. Suffice it to say India tech support now wants
    to deny the claim because I am beyond 120 days after purchase. This is after
    an Indian support manager said I was qualified last week, but when he turned
    me back over to the tech, the tech claimed he could not give me a dispatch
    number because Dell's database was temporarily down. Today, the database is
    up, but this new tech wants to deny, despite what the manager told me last
    week. I have had a total of 4 different Dell reps say I was qualified, but
    got nowhere, allegedly because "the database is down". Until today, that is.
    Now that the database is up, the claim is suspect.

    I have spent over 3 hours on the phone in those 7 phone calls and have no
    stomach for more from India, considering language barrier, down databases,
    and repeated contentions from techs that I would be phoned back "tomorrow"
    with a dispatch number.

    Needless to say, no one in India has a direct phone number or direct email.
    You have to wade back down through the tree and take your chances.

    Any assistance appreciated--other than India. I will concede the claim
    rather than fight the language barrier, minimal technical competence, and
    ongoing broken assurances.

    Carl LaFong, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Carl LaFong

    Tom Almy Guest

    No question about it, monitors have a 3 year warranty if purchased
    separate from the system. However everything in support is tied to those
    system tag numbers! I don't know of any secret, just keep trying.
    Tech Support for Home Sales 1-800-624-9897
    Tech Support for Small Business 1-877-773-3355

    I've always purchased from Small Business. You might be able to use the
    Small Business tech support, who knows?

    Tom Almy, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Carl LaFong

    Tom Almy Guest

    Tom Almy wrote:
    >> Tech Support for Home Sales 1-800-624-9897

    > Tech Support for Small Business 1-877-773-3355

    Ops, those are for Customer Care. All tech support goes
    through 1-800-624-9896 and is routed via that system service tag. :-(

    Tom Almy, Nov 30, 2004
  6. First, if it's a "non-time-critical" issue, you can usually get excellent
    results with their website / e-mail response teams.
    Second, although I shouldn't say this in a public forum, the phone numbers
    for all the tech support folk at the Nashville location usually start with
    something like:
    615-795-xxxx (usually somewhere over 7000) -- you're bound to get ahold of
    someone who will route you to the nearest manager in that building -- Home &
    Small business, desktops and laptops, mostly.
    Finally, write your displeasure to the Big Guy himself: --
    this guy really DOES read all his e-mail!
    And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information, well --
    it's because those friggin' bastards won't re-hire previous employees!
    (Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

    As to your last point (somewhere below) people should know this: NO one
    (except myself) EVER calls / called back from Dell, with the exception of
    managers. If you do NOT get a DPS# (dispatch parts / service) then your
    repair request has not been processed, but you *should* have notes in a call
    log somewhere. When calling, get tech names, badge numbers, and manager
    names (managers DO have phone #'s!)

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - MONEY TALKS... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

    personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Carl LaFong

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:34:43 -0600, RE: Re: Dell branded19" CRT
    standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?
    "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <> wrote:

    >And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information, well --
    >it's because those friggin' bastards won't re-hire previous employees!
    >(Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

    They probably out-sourced your job to India. Great for computer prices
    and the Dell bottom-line; lousey for our economy, employees and users
    that don't speak Hindi and need support.

    --
    To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

    Vic Dura, Dec 1, 2004
  8. "Vic Dura" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:34:43 -0600, RE: Re: Dell branded19" CRT
    > standalone purchase warranty only 120 days?
    > "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <> wrote:
    >
    >>And if anyone at Dell is wondering why I'm posting this information,
    >>well --
    >>it's because those friggin' bastards won't re-hire previous employees!
    >>(Thus, I have to get my "fixing fix" in here via the newsgroup.)

    > They probably out-sourced your job to India. Great for computer prices
    > and the Dell bottom-line; lousey for our economy, employees and users
    > that don't speak Hindi and need support.

    True: they were starting up the India group when I left in 10/2001. I
    think the real problem is: I actually *care* about helping people fix their
    problems. It is a joy to me. To them, I was simply someone who took longer
    than other folk to get the customers off the line.

    personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk, Dec 1, 2004