dell dem 3000

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Highest Point, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. hey does anyone know how well the dell dem 3000 works cause i'm
    thinking of getting one.

    Highest Point, Jul 26, 2005

  2. As an office machine, it's fine. If you're looking for any level of
    gaming at all, skip the 3000 - it has no fast video slot and the onboard
    video is very weak.

    Edward J. Neth, Jul 26, 2005

  3. i don't really do any gaming, but i do watch a lot of videos and stuff
    on my old computer. and i'll be using it at home for basic school work
    and entertainment. so if i want to be entertained without getting
    pissed at my machine, i shouldn't get it then?

    Highest Point, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Highest Point

    Ben Myers Guest

    If your old computer is sufficient for watching videos, surely a Dimension 3000
    would be OK, too.

    Most any Socket 478 or later computer is quite capable of playing movies, either
    downloaded or from a DVD drive, at an acceptable frame rate with little or no
    choppiness of motion. Video games stress out the processor and graphics far
    more than a movie or similar entertainment.

    Better to steer away the temptation of a computer capable of gaming. A gaming
    addiction can take away all your spare time and erode the time needed to survive
    in life (job or school), and, in the case of EverQuest, it can eat the dollars
    in your billfold, too. This month's Wired Magazine has a blurb about the
    EverQuest economy, wherein people pay one another for virtual weapons and other
    virtual artifacts used in the game. I'm not saying that games are inherently
    bad. Games played without any moderation can have a serious effect on the
    quality of one's life... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Highest Point

    Kevin Guest

    Right. For just a bit more money you can get the 4700. While it's not
    specifically a gaming or multimedia machine, it will handle what you
    indicate you want to do with it. Always go for at least 512 MB of RAM and
    at least a 64 MB video card.

    Kevin, Jul 26, 2005
  6. Highest Point

    Tom Scales Guest

    I wouldn't agree. The integrated video on the 2400 and 3000 have particular
    weaknesses in Video. Some software won't even support them.

    I'd suggest a 4700, 5100 or even a refurbished 4600 first if video is an
    objective.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 26, 2005
  7. let me add this to the other good comments that have been made...
    if you purchase the dimension 4700 with integrated video it works out to be
    only $40 more than the 3000 in the same configuration. but going with the
    4700 means you get a video expansion slot that the 3000 does not have. if
    you have doubt, as it appears you do, then this is the way to go. i have
    found the integrated video in both machines to be perfectly good for movie
    playback and for business and even cad applications. you can play games but
    the hot games drag - in no way should one expect a good gamming experiance
    from the integrated video. check out the 'outrageous deals' on the dell
    small business page (dell.com, small business, outrageous deals, desktops).
    there you can configure:
    $543 ($668 - $125 rebate) dimension 3000, p4 3ghz/800, 17" lcd, integrated
    speaker, xp home, 512mb, 80gb, optical mouse, cd, 2 year
    $583 ($718 - $135 rebate) dimension 4700, p4 2.8ghz/800, 17" lcd, speaker
    bar, xp home, 512mb, 40g, optical mouse, cd, 2 year
    in both cases you probably want to upgrade the cd drive to a dvd recorder
    for $99 or buy one at a local store for $50 and install it yourself. no
    floppy, no modem. free shipping but $19 'handeling fee.' sales tax will be
    collected (as is the case with all 'educational' sales). this is probably
    the last day for this promotion.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 27, 2005
  8. the $583 config includes a 80gb not 40gb

    also, when the 4700 is purchased with a video card (as opposed to with just
    integrated video) it dose not come with the integrated video. it of couse
    has the video expansion slot, but you can not later remove the video card
    and expect to use the integrated video becuase it simply isn't there.

    Christopher Muto, Jul 27, 2005