    supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
    apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
    and switch.
    Jeff B, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Jeff B

    McSpreader Guest

    "Jeff B" <> wrote in
    news:42cdc0e5$:

    > i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to
    > place an order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20
    > minutes back and forth and hold time, they refused to take the
    > order because it was too backordered. The day the catalog came
    > out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing now with them.
    > Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
    > supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good
    > price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for
    > false advertising/bait and switch.

    I'm sure you could sue Dell for the actual loss you incurred. How
    much was that?
    McSpreader, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Jeff B

    Notan Guest

    Jeff B wrote:

    > i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an order
    > for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and forth and
    > hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too backordered.
    > The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing
    > now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
    > supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
    > apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
    > and switch.

    There's usually an "as long as supplies last" clause, be it written
    or not.

    Notan
    Notan, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Jeff B wrote:
    > i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an order
    > for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and forth and
    > hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too backordered.
    > The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it. i am arguing
    > now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am awaiting a
    > supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good price, but
    > apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false advertising/bait
    > and switch.

    How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because
    it was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the
    deal. Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming
    Dell because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.

    How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
    number? Of course not.
    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
    > Jeff B wrote:
    >
    >> i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an
    >> order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back
    >> and forth and hold time, they refused to take the order because it was
    >> too backordered. The day the catalog came out they refused all orders
    >> for it. i am arguing now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless,
    >> and I am awaiting a supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They
    >> had a good price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue
    >> for false advertising/bait and switch.
    >>

    > How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because
    > it was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the
    > deal. Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming
    > Dell because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.
    >
    > How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
    > number? Of course not.

    How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
    number? Of course not.

    should be

    How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a
    another? Of course not.
    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
    catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
    another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the price
    anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

    Jeff B, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Jeff B

    WSZsr Guest

    amazon has the canon Powershot S1 IS 3.2Mpixel 10x optical zoom on sale for
    $249.94 shipped free.

    WSZsr, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Jeff B

    PC Medic Guest

    "Jeff B" <> wrote in message
    > First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
    > catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
    > another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the
    > price anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

    It is still NOT 'Bait and Switch and they obviously WERE taking orders the
    day it came out or there would not have been too many back-orders.

    You may also want to look at the bottom of the page where it reads:

    "
    Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offer may change without
    notice. Taxes are extra, and vary. May be combined with other select offers
    or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home
    Systems Electronics & Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to and is
    not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems
    configurator, refurbished items, or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same
    items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and
    reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors. Continental
    U.S. orders only.
    "

    By the way, they are currently available for order on-line.
    PC Medic, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Jeff B wrote:
    > First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
    > catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell me
    > another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the price
    > anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
    >

    > "Dan Sgambelluri" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jeff B wrote:
    >>
    >>>i received the Dell July flyer today in the mail. i tried to place an
    >>>order for a Canon Powershot S2Is camera today. After 20 minutes back and
    >>>forth and hold time, they refused to take the order because it was too
    >>>backordered. The day the catalog came out they refused all orders for it.
    >>>i am arguing now with them. Customer nonservice was worthless, and I am
    >>>awaiting a supervisor. I doubt it will get me anywhere. They had a good
    >>>price, but apparently it is lie. I wish someone would sue for false
    >>>advertising/bait and switch.

    >>How is this False Advertising? They advertised the price but because it
    >>was a good price, that lots and lots of people took advantage of the deal.
    >>Dell had their backorder for it filled up. So you are blaming Dell
    >>because you were too late to get on the deal. Better luck next time.
    >>
    >>How is this Bait & Switch? Did they say one price and than give a number?
    >>Of course not.

    but it is neither.

    It is not bait and switch because, they did not say, you will pay this
    price for one product and than switch and get you to get enhancements or
    a different product or price. None of that happened.

    It is not false advertising, as they had the deal, you were just to slow
    to get it as others were quicker to get it as they got the deal.
    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Jeff B

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Oh, puleeeze................ Anything in a mailer is also available on
    line..... You were just too late.

    Bet you were pissed when a recommended stock on Wall Street Week tanked
    after you bought it....

    Bottom line is that printed materials like circulars are always outdated as
    soon as they are printed....

    Get a life and move on..........

    --
    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Jeff B

    Steve W. Guest

    "Jeff B" <> wrote in message
    > First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
    > catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell

    me
    > another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the

    price
    > anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.

    Bait & Switch = Hey buddy buy this here camera for 50 bucks. Get home
    open the box and find a different camera in it.

    False Advertising = Hey buddy I know this girl who would be just perfect
    for you. Want to meet her? Get to the place and it's a guy in drag.

    Steve W., Jul 8, 2005
  12. Jeff B

    Rich Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:51:56 -0400, "Steve W." <>
    wrote:

    >"Jeff B" <> wrote in message
    >> First of all its Bait & Switch/false advertising because the day the
    >> catalogue came out they were not taking orders for it but Would sell

    >me
    >> another "similar" camera. Fortunately Staples was willing to match the

    >price
    >> anyway since it was advertised and Dell opened a store in my area.
    >>

    >Bait & Switch = Hey buddy buy this here camera for 50 bucks. Get home
    >open the box and find a different camera in it.
    >
    >False Advertising = Hey buddy I know this girl who would be just perfect
    >for you. Want to meet her? Get to the place and it's a guy in drag.

    i agree with you on the false advertising definition but not on B&S.
    one online dictionary defines B&S as: "A sales tactic in which a
    bargain-priced item is used to attract customers who are then
    encouraged to purchase a more expensive similar item"

    your definition of B&S is theft by deception. the OP wasn't the
    victim of B&S but rather demand outstripping supply.

    73,
    rich, n9dko
    Rich, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    Yes thanks but the S2 Is is a newer/better product.

    Jeff B, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    WRONG! They did try to get me to buy something else. Per one of the sales
    people they stopped taking orderes "a while ago". If an item is advertised
    then a business should atleast make an attempt to take orders/sales the day
    it the ad comes out. Dell did not do this.

    Jeff B, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    I relooked at the page with the ad. The below paragraph IS NOT on that page
    or the next page. As a matter of fact, in the July catalog I received I do
    not see that or any other paragraph suggestting limited quantities. The
    camera was on page 44 in my catalog. Anyone else see this limityation in
    that catalog? What page?

    Jeff B, Jul 9, 2005
  16. Jeff B

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh please. It was popular. They ran out. Live with it.

    Tom Scales, Jul 9, 2005
  17. Jeff B

    Irene Guest

    I tried to stay out of this but I can't ignore the unrealistic comments by
    the pro-Dell group any longer.

    "Oh, please." Oh please, indeed. Dell excepts orders for items being held
    for "back order" every day. Why not just admit this was an advertising
    gimmick(we in retail call it a "loss leader") that Dell offered a very low
    price on and failed to place a limit on the sales. I can't find a limit,
    either. Then Dell got surprised by the number who responded and to limit
    their losses, they began refusing more orders. Not at all uncommon in the
    retail business, but some what unethical, and possibly a violation the
    Consumer Protection Laws in some states. Jeeeeez

    Irene, Jul 9, 2005
  18. Jeff B

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
    insure/ensure).

    My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day it
    starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law that
    says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic. For all
    you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number 3,000,001

    I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'. Prove
    it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 9, 2005
  19. Jeff B

    Notan Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > I'm guessing they actually ACCEPT orders (common mitake, like
    > insure/ensure).
    >
    > My grocery store is out of at least one item in the weekly ad on the day it
    > starts every single week. Post a link to a consumer protection law that
    > says a vendor can't run out of an item on sale. It's not realistic. For all
    > you know they had 3 million of them an he was customer number 3,000,001
    >
    > I find it entertaining when people throw out 'possibly a violation'. Prove
    > it.

    Funny you should mention grocery stores... They seem to be one of the few
    businesses that routinely issue "rain checks."

    I'd imagine there's no law that says they "have to."

    Notan
    Notan, Jul 9, 2005
  20. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    Your wrong Tom. I spoke to 4 people at Dell. They absolutely REFUSED to take
    an order. Backorder or otherwise. I think I could deal with them taking a
    backorder on the item, yes this does occur. But they would not under any
    circustances take an order. I was told that the item is due in September.
    Well yes that is far off but still that would be my decision not there's if
    I wished to wait.

    Jeff B, Jul 9, 2005