Dell Inspiron 1100 with Non-Dell (regular) XP pro installed can't flash BIOS to upgrade

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mailJLB@gmail.com, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I installed a plane version of windows and everything runs fine. I
    installed the graphics driver from the dell website. I recently bought
    two 512 ram sticks to upgrade to the max RAM and I kept getting blue
    screen windows crash dumps. I looked online for a BIOS update, which
    there is one. I am running version A06 and the upgrade is to A32.
    However I can not run the update because it says:

    NOTICE!!
    Running on and unsupported system

    and I can not choose continue to install. This is pretty lame if dell
    wont let me update the bios unless I install thier crappy glutted out
    default install of windows for this laptop.

    I need to know how to force the install and update the BIOS.

    one thing I noticed is that it says that the version numbers for the
    upgrade is dell and that the current version is pheonix technologies
    ltd?

    , Feb 18, 2007

  2. Tom Scales Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I installed a plane version of windows and everything runs fine. I
    > installed the graphics driver from the dell website. I recently bought
    > two 512 ram sticks to upgrade to the max RAM and I kept getting blue
    > screen windows crash dumps. I looked online for a BIOS update, which
    > there is one. I am running version A06 and the upgrade is to A32.
    > However I can not run the update because it says:
    >
    > NOTICE!!
    > Running on and unsupported system
    >

    > and I can not choose continue to install. This is pretty lame if dell
    > wont let me update the bios unless I install thier crappy glutted out
    > default install of windows for this laptop.
    >
    > I need to know how to force the install and update the BIOS.
    >
    > one thing I noticed is that it says that the version numbers for the
    > upgrade is dell and that the current version is pheonix technologies
    > ltd?

    Often you can't make that many version changes at once to a BIOS. Read
    through the readmes and it should explain.

    That said, you seem to be unaware that the XP that Dell provides is plain
    vanilla XP without any applications or bloat of any kind. No anti-virus, no
    applications, nothing. It is a real XP CD. The only difference is that
    Dell often adds their drivers (which is nice) and the Dell version does not
    require any activation.

    If you're running the BIOS upgrade from floppy, which is the safest way to
    do it, XP isn't loaded anyway.

    Tom Scales, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Jim Macklin Guest

    Are you sure that the BIOS update is for your model
    computer? The BIOS update would look at the motherboard,
    not the operating system.
    A flash BIOS would run from a floppy and express BIOS would
    run from within Windows, but the error message would be for
    a BIOS/mobo issue.
    plane,plain

    Jim Macklin, Feb 18, 2007
  4. something doesn't sound right about this.
    the initial release of the bios for the inspiron 1100 was a20. so you
    probably don't have an inspiron 1100 and should be grateful that the author
    of the flash program has taken the time to check your current version and
    prevent you from ruining your machine.... you might have a machine that say
    inspiron 1100 on the case but not be what is on the inside. the fact that
    you don't have the original windows xp disk suggests that there is more to
    this machine than you are telling us. i suggest that you reboot the machine
    and press f2 to enter the bios. there you will see the designation of
    make/model, bios version, and system tag number. that should point you in
    the right direction.
    also, since you loaded xp from scratch, did you apply the chipset driver?
    it is critical for a stable system. it really should be the first thing
    done after installing window but better late than never. you can find it on
    the dell download page where you found your video driver - but first figure
    out exactly what sort of machine you have there... as far as i know the
    inpiron 1100 was not sold with a bios revision a06.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 19, 2007
  5. Re: Dell Inspiron 1100 with Non-Dell (regular) XP pro installed can'tflash BIOS to upgrade

    Normally that message has nothing to do with the OS ... in fact, Windows
    is not normally running when you do a BIOS update. You may have the
    wrong BIOS file, or the DMI information saved in the Dell's CMOS may be
    incorrect (this happens often if the motherboard was ever changed, and
    can also happen under other circumstances). Contact Dell. Again,
    Windows is not normally even running when you do a BIOS update, and it's
    unlikely that your non-Dell version of Windows has anything to do with
    this at all.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 19, 2007
  6. BigJim Guest

    if memory severs me I think there were 3 board that fit that case

    BigJim, Feb 19, 2007
  7. Guest

    The case definatly says inspiron 1100 strange that they would have so
    many versions! I didnt steal it or anything, and I do have hte OEM
    disks its just XP home and bloated. I dont belive I installed the
    chipset driver so I will try that to see if it helps. I think I got
    the video driver from the Intel website since it uses a "intel
    graphics extreme" display. Do you think that would have installed the
    pheonix bios or would windows have donw that while loading default
    drivers? I downloaded the bios flash program off of the dell website
    from thier support downloads page. Its wierd, I know.

    , Feb 20, 2007
  8. Fixer Guest

    The BIOS has nothing to do with the O/S , it is its own chip on your
    motherboard so the intel drivers or win XP cannot and do not affect the
    BIOS.
    Drop into the BIOS bt pressing the F2 key when you see the Dell splash logo
    and just see what system the BIOS is reporting your machine as.

    And Dell XP Home is not filled with BLOAT either.

    As mentioned in this NG. it is a genuine copy of XP produced by Dell
    withsome of their drivers slipstreamed into it.

    Follow this link and download all the drivers you need and the BIOS update
    from this Dell page.
    http://support.euro.dell.com/suppor...s=gen&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=EN

    Fixer, Feb 20, 2007
  9. re-read my previous reply. you can determine exactly what machine
    (motherboard and bios) that you have by entering the bios.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 21, 2007
  10. Ben Myers Guest

    Given that the Inspiron 1100 chassis is shared with several other models of Dell
    notebooks, is it possible that the motherboard inside is not an 1100, but rather
    some other model of board?

    The BIOS inside a Dell starts out with core software from Phoenix Technologies,
    just about the last BIOS development company left standing. Consequently, that
    is what is displayed by the BIOS initially. However, press the F1 key to enter
    the BIOS setup and determine both the MODEL and the revision of the BIOS. The
    BIOS MODEL tracks the motherboard MODEL pretty much in lock-step.

    It is possible to finagle a flash BIOS update for a model of motherboard
    different than the one which is in hand. But it is not easy, it is dangerous,
    and it is beyond the scope of this newsgroup.... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 21, 2007
  11. S.Lewis Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > re-read my previous reply. you can determine exactly what machine
    > (motherboard and bios) that you have by entering the bios.

    Heck, he should be able to pause the machine on the Dell splash and read the
    system model and BIOS rev. right there also.

    S.Lewis, Feb 21, 2007
  12. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:11:32 -0600, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:

    >"Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >> re-read my previous reply. you can determine exactly what machine
    >> (motherboard and bios) that you have by entering the bios.
    >>

    >Heck, he should be able to pause the machine on the Dell splash and read the
    >system model and BIOS rev. right there also.

    Here's an excellent little freeware tool for processor & memory info:
    http://www.cpuid.com
    Click on the "Mainboard" tab & it will tell you all about it.
    Mac

    , Feb 21, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:11:48 GMT, wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:11:32 -0600, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >>> re-read my previous reply. you can determine exactly what machine
    >>> (motherboard and bios) that you have by entering the bios.
    >>>

    >>Heck, he should be able to pause the machine on the Dell splash and read the
    >>system model and BIOS rev. right there also.
    >>

    >Here's an excellent little freeware tool for processor & memory info:
    >http://www.cpuid.com
    >Click on the "Mainboard" tab & it will tell you all about it.
    >Mac

    A better link:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    Mac

    , Feb 21, 2007
  14. Tom Scales Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 05:11:32 -0600, "S.Lewis" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >>> re-read my previous reply. you can determine exactly what machine
    >>> (motherboard and bios) that you have by entering the bios.
    >>>

    >>Heck, he should be able to pause the machine on the Dell splash and read
    >>the
    >>system model and BIOS rev. right there also.
    >>

    > Here's an excellent little freeware tool for processor & memory info:
    > http://www.cpuid.com
    > Click on the "Mainboard" tab & it will tell you all about it.
    > Mac

    More work then necessary since all he has to do is press F2 at boot up and
    look in the BIOS. For some reason, the OP seems reluctant to share that
    information. It's feeling more and more troll-like.

    Tom Scales, Feb 21, 2007
  15. Richardmtl Guest

    No, he's not a troll. I'm fixing a computer for a friend, and I came
    across the exact same problem. BIOS is A06, no other info available in
    the BIOS screen. I'll post here the Motherboard info when I get a
    chance... Strange little problem, never seen it before.

    Richardmtl, Feb 24, 2007
  16. Richardmtl Guest

    On Feb 23, 9:28 pm, "Richardmtl" <> wrote:
    > No, he's not a troll. I'm fixing a computer for a friend, and I came
    > across the exact same problem. BIOS is A06, no other info available in
    > the BIOS screen. I'll post here the Motherboard info when I get a
    > chance... Strange little problem, never seen it before.
    >
    > On Feb 21, 9:22 am, "Tom Scales" <> wrote:
    >
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > Here's an excellent little freeware tool for processor & memory info:
    > > >http://www.cpuid.com
    > > > Click on the "Mainboard" tab & it will tell you all about it.
    > > > Mac

    > > More work then necessary since all he has to do is press F2 at boot up and
    > > look in the BIOS. For some reason, the OP seems reluctant to share that
    > > information. It's feeling more and more troll-like.

    I think I found the answer... Dell changed the way updates are made.
    Check this link:

    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...t=1&vercnt=8&formatcnt=3&libid=1&fileid=85192

    "The latest revision of BIOS required significant changes in order to
    update systems from the Phoenix BIOS to Dell BIOS, and therefore,
    cannot be upgraded using the floppyless BIOS upgrade procedure. We
    sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause in updating
    your system."

    Richardmtl, Feb 24, 2007
  17. Guest

    I knew I wasnt crazy! so the unit came with a pheonix bios. I'm going
    to follow the steps in this link. Thanx for helping me out with this!
    I'm sure I'm not the oly person that has this problem.

    On Feb 23, 7:52 pm, "Richardmtl" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 23, 9:28 pm, "Richardmtl" <> wrote:
    >

    > > No, he's not a troll. I'm fixing a computer for a friend, and I came
    > > across the exact same problem. BIOS is A06, no other info available in
    > > the BIOS screen. I'll post here the Motherboard info when I get a
    > > chance... Strange little problem, never seen it before.

    > > On Feb 21, 9:22 am, "Tom Scales" <> wrote:

    > > > <> wrote in message

    > > > More work then necessary since all he has to do is press F2 at boot up and
    > > > look in the BIOS. For some reason, the OP seems reluctant to share that
    > > > information. It's feeling more and more troll-like.

    > I think I found the answer... Dell changed the way updates are made.
    > Check this link:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=g...
    >
    > "The latest revision of BIOS required significant changes in order to
    > update systems from the Phoenix BIOS to Dell BIOS, and therefore,
    > cannot be upgraded using the floppyless BIOS upgrade procedure. We
    > sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause in updating
    > your system."

    , Feb 24, 2007
  18. Guest

    I dont know why but I can't get into the BIOS all it wants to do is
    boot to windows. I made a CD image of the BIOS flash utility but I
    can't get the unit to let me boot to the CD. THe instructions at dell
    say press f12 the splash screeen says f2 to setup but nither one
    works. I keep rebooting and pushing the button trying either one and
    it wont work. It shows a white "DOS looking" progress bar right before
    the boot menue. what am I missing??

    , Feb 24, 2007
  19. WSZsr Guest

    Try a cold boot and hold any key down until you get an error message.

    WSZsr, Feb 24, 2007
  20. Guest

    Well CRAP I still can't get in. Holding down f2 does NOTHING. Holding
    down F12 makes a loud beeping noise but it still boots into windows
    and never checks the CD for a boot record. How the hell can dell get
    away with this kinda crap? talk about catch 22, the bios update should
    fix this problem right? looks like other people in the forum have had
    simmilar problems and the way they got in was disconnecting the
    harddrive? are you serious? how would I even do that??

    On Feb 24, 2:13 pm, "WSZsr" <> wrote:
    > Try a cold boot and hold any key down until you get an error message.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > >I dont know why but I can't get into the BIOS all it wants to do is
    > > boot to windows. I made a CD image of the BIOS flash utility but I
    > > can't get the unit to let me boot to the CD. THe instructions at dell
    > > say press f12 the splash screeen says f2 to setup but nither one
    > > works. I keep rebooting and pushing the button trying either one and
    > > it wont work. It shows a white "DOS looking" progress bar right before
    > > the boot menue. what am I missing??

    , Feb 25, 2007