    expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
    hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?
    RnR, Jan 17, 2012

  2. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
    >slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
    >32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
    >all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
    >within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
    >help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
    >expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    >missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
    >hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

    Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.
    RnR, Jan 17, 2012

  3. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    RnR wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
    >> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
    >> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
    >> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
    >> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
    >> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
    >> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    >> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
    >> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

    > Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

    Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
    like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Jan 17, 2012
  4. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >RnR wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:07:22 -0600, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got hold of my daughter's laptop. She had xp on it but it ran so
    >>> slow it wasn't worth trying to fix so I decided to install win 7 ult
    >>> 32bit on it. It's running now with win 7 but in the device manager,
    >>> all is ok except for "Other Devices" and that lists three line items
    >>> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
    >>> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
    >>> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    >>> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll figure it out but was
    >>> hoping for a faster solution. Suggestions?

    >> Guess I'll google it for the now. Thanks.

    >Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
    >like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

    I think I read most are. Just hate to install and have to uninstall
    them one at a time. Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
    haven't run the laptop too much. Looks good so far tho. I'm
    installing some software right now on it. Thanks Bill.
    RnR, Jan 17, 2012
  5. RnR

    Dave Guest

    On Jan 17, 10:39 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:27:13 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > >Innews:,
    > >RnR wrote:

    > >> Guess I'll google it for the now.   Thanks.

    > >Isn't Windows 7 drivers mostly compatible with Vista drivers? Kind of
    > >like most Windows 2000 and XP drivers are the same.

    > I think I read most are.  Just hate to install and have to uninstall
    > them one at a time.   Funny but right now, all seems to run okay but I
    > haven't run the laptop too much.  Looks good so far tho.  I'm
    > installing some software right now on it.   Thanks Bill.

    I've seen this be the card reader device.
    Install the vista one and see.

    Dave
    Dave, Jan 17, 2012
  6. RnR

    Alan Guest

    I have one which came with Vista. Recently, I updated it to WIN7 with
    no problem. As others have said, MS kept the same driver model, and
    all the specific Dell functions are working fine with the old drivers.
    Also, WIN7 has the ability to use even older drivers in compatibility
    mode. In the device driver, you may be able to find something under
    the update section.

    --
    Alan
    Alan, Jan 17, 2012
  7. RnR

    dg1261 Guest

    Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
    of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
    care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
    and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
    them.
    dg1261, Jan 18, 2012
  8. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:56:03 +0000 (UTC), dg1261
    <> wrote:

    >Dave's right -- the card reader driver will usually take care of one or two
    >of the yellow exclamation marks, and the Intel chipset driver might take
    >care of the rest. Download/install the Vista drivers for both the Intel
    >and Ricoh chipsets from the Dell website and see if that takes care of
    >them.

    Will try to if I find them and update this thread then. Thanks I
    hope.
    RnR, Jan 18, 2012
  9. On 1/17/2012 10:07 AM, RnR wrote:
    > that lists three line items
    > within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
    > help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
    > expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    > missing drivers are? I know in time I'll fi

    no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

    the best approach to resolving this is to first run windows update
    repeatedly until there are no more updates to be had. in many cases
    windows update will solve the driver problem for you. if it does not
    then open device manager and double click the item in question and then
    click the 'details' tab. there you can select the 'hardware id' drop
    down and find the vendor (manufacturer) and device id. with this
    information in hand then a drive can be found on the manufacturers site.
    after trying all the above and you still can't find the driver then
    report the ven and dev id here for further assistance.
    Christopher Muto, Jan 18, 2012
  10. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:04:20 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/17/2012 10:07 AM, RnR wrote:
    >> that lists three line items
    >> within it described as "Base System Device". Dell's website won't
    >> help since it only lists xp and vista drivers which is what I
    >> expected. Therefore what is the fastest way to figure what the
    >> missing drivers are? I know in time I'll fi

    >no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    >
    >the best approach to resolving this is to first run windows update
    >repeatedly until there are no more updates to be had. in many cases
    >windows update will solve the driver problem for you. if it does not
    >then open device manager and double click the item in question and then
    >click the 'details' tab. there you can select the 'hardware id' drop
    >down and find the vendor (manufacturer) and device id. with this
    >information in hand then a drive can be found on the manufacturers site.
    >after trying all the above and you still can't find the driver then
    >report the ven and dev id here for further assistance.

    Thanks. I didn't do your approach because I hadn't thought of it nor
    read your reply in time. Besides, I'm not a big fan of MS updates
    anyway which might explain why I didn't think of it. That said, I
    had another problem with no sound. Long story short, I installed a
    audio driver (not associated with this Tag # I might add) recommended
    by other internet sources and viola, my sound came back. Not only
    that, the driver problem was solved. I can't explain why but all is
    well now. This is not to say your approach wouldn't have worked but
    that this worked for me.

    Even tho I don't like MS updates, I may do it regardless to maybe
    solve other problems I haven't yet discovered. I will do this with my
    fingers crossed as I am going against my rule of thumb. Thanks
    again.
    RnR, Jan 19, 2012
  11. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    RnR wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:04:20 -0500, Christopher Muto
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> no cross posting please. this reply only to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    >>
    >> the best approach to resolving this is to first run windows update
    >> repeatedly until there are no more updates to be had. in many cases
    >> windows update will solve the driver problem for you. if it does not
    >> then open device manager and double click the item in question and
    >> then click the 'details' tab. there you can select the 'hardware
    >> id' drop down and find the vendor (manufacturer) and device id.
    >> with this information in hand then a drive can be found on the
    >> manufacturers site. after trying all the above and you still can't
    >> find the driver then report the ven and dev id here for further
    >> assistance.

    > Thanks. I didn't do your approach because I hadn't thought of it nor
    > read your reply in time. Besides, I'm not a big fan of MS updates
    > anyway which might explain why I didn't think of it. That said, I
    > had another problem with no sound. Long story short, I installed a
    > audio driver (not associated with this Tag # I might add) recommended
    > by other internet sources and viola, my sound came back. Not only
    > that, the driver problem was solved. I can't explain why but all is
    > well now. This is not to say your approach wouldn't have worked but
    > that this worked for me.
    >
    > Even tho I don't like MS updates, I may do it regardless to maybe
    > solve other problems I haven't yet discovered. I will do this with my
    > fingers crossed as I am going against my rule of thumb. Thanks
    > again.

    My horror stories with MS Updates go back to Windows 2000. As it was
    normal that one update would break Explorer and the next one would fix
    it. Then the next one would repeat the cycle. I got so sick and tired of
    it that I started using third party file managers because they didn't
    break from updates.

    Today I update about a half of dozen and another half a dozen I don't.
    And the ones that do get updated, the updates screw something up. Like
    this XP machine, I sometimes cannot click on a WMV file without a simple
    error window popping up saying Error:80 and that is it. Then the desktop
    crashes and restarts with half of the tray icons missing.

    On one of my Windows 7 machines, updates screwed up the Media Center
    Live TV. Now it plays choppy. The AverTV player still works fine without
    the WMC thank goodness.

    People just don't understand, you just cannot make changes to an OS
    without risking harm! Even if you are as big as Microsoft, you still
    cannot prevent this from happening.

    It's not uncommon for major operating system
    updates to cause problems. Typically, the glitches
    are due to conflicts with software, such as
    drivers, system files, or applications already
    resident on the user's PC...

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/207600950

    --
    Bill
    BillW50, Jan 19, 2012
  12. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:12:48 -0600, "BillW50" <> wrote:

> [...]

    >And the ones that do get updated, the updates screw something up. Like
    >this XP machine, I sometimes cannot click on a WMV file without a simple
    >error window popping up saying Error:80 and that is it. Then the desktop
    >crashes and restarts with half of the tray icons missing.
    >
    >On one of my Windows 7 machines, updates screwed up the Media Center
    >Live TV. Now it plays choppy. The AverTV player still works fine without
    >the WMC thank goodness.
    >
    >People just don't understand, you just cannot make changes to an OS
    >without risking harm! Even if you are as big as Microsoft, you still
    >cannot prevent this from happening.
    >
    > It's not uncommon for major operating system
    > updates to cause problems. Typically, the glitches
    > are due to conflicts with software, such as
    > drivers, system files, or applications already

    My thoughts exactly.....
    now I know why I have that rule of thumb <g>.
    Thanks Bill.... -RnR-
    RnR, Jan 19, 2012
  13. RnR

    olfart Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > and restarts with half of the tray icons missing.
    >
    > On one of my Windows 7 machines, updates screwed up the Media Center Live
    > TV. Now it plays choppy. The AverTV player still works fine without the
    > WMC thank goodness.
    >
    > People just don't understand, you just cannot make changes to an OS
    > without risking harm! Even if you are as big as Microsoft, you still
    > cannot prevent this from happening.
    >
    > It's not uncommon for major operating system
    > updates to cause problems. Typically, the glitches
    > are due to conflicts with software, such as
    > drivers, system files, or applications already
    > resident on the user's PC...
    >
    > http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/207600950
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    I've had pretty good luck with my 4 XP and 1 Win7 machines except one of the
    XP laptops won't install about half of the updates offered. But what I
    always do is wait at least a week after an update release to install it.
    That way I can check for any problems other folks have encountered with it.
    I also do the first install on my test box which runs Win 7, XP Pro, Win
    2000, Win ME and Win 98 each on a separate HD which I built for test
    purposes.
    olfart, Jan 19, 2012
  14. RnR

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 19, 10:31 am, "olfart" <> wrote:

    > I also do the first install on my test box which runs Win 7, XP Pro, Win
    > 2000, Win ME and Win 98 each on a separate HD which I built for test
    > purposes.

    What do you need to test using 98 and ME?
    Bob_Villa, Jan 19, 2012
  15. RnR

    olfart Guest

    "Bob_Villa" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 19, 10:31 am, "olfart" <> wrote:

    > I also do the first install on my test box which runs Win 7, XP Pro, Win
    > 2000, Win ME and Win 98 each on a separate HD which I built for test
    > purposes.

    What do you need to test using 98 and ME?

    There are still some folks out there using 98....my cousin for one....and I
    use it to refer to if she has a question or problem. Someone gave me a ME
    disc so I installed it out of curiousity, but I can see why noone ever used
    it for long
    olfart, Jan 20, 2012