  1. Guest

    Is it possible to change Video Shared memory in BIOS on this model? I checked all options and I'm afraid that it's not impossible but maybe you know something about that.
    , Jan 31, 2013

  2. Bob_Villa Guest

    On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:06:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
    > Is it possible to change Video Shared memory in BIOS on this model? I checked all options and I'm afraid that it's not impossible but maybe you know something about that.

    I can only add that I just went from 2Gb to 4Gb and W7 64-bit and it was a great improvement to my 1545. This is my daughter's old college notebook that I got back after buying her an i3 Inspiron.
    I bought 4Gb DDR2 on CL ($20) which was from a deceased HP dv4-1225dx.
    Bob_Villa, Mar 3, 2013

  3. Ron Hardin Guest

    Bob_Villa wrote:

    > On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:06:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
    > > Is it possible to change Video Shared memory in BIOS on this model? I checked all options and I'm afraid that it's not impossible but maybe you know somethin

    > I can only add that I just went from 2Gb to 4Gb and W7 64-bit and it was a great improvement to my 1545. This is my daughter's old college notebook that I got
    > I bought 4Gb DDR2 on CL ($20) which was from a deceased HP dv4-1225dx.

    Comment on 64-bit; in my case, with heavy use of an application heavy in pointers,,
    64-bit doubles the storage required for pointers, which means that the application
    takes twice the RAM memory under a 64 bit system than a 32 bit system.

    So it's self-defeating to go to 64 bit unless you quadruple the memory, in a
    pointer-heavy application.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 4, 2013
  4. Bob_Villa Guest

    On Monday, March 4, 2013 7:31:47 AM UTC-6, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Bob_Villa wrote:

    > > I can only add that I just went from 2Gb to 4Gb and W7 64-bit and it was a great improvement to my 1545. This is my daughter's old college notebook that I got

    > > I bought 4Gb DDR2 on CL ($20) which was from a deceased HP dv4-1225dx.

    > Comment on 64-bit; in my case, with heavy use of an application heavy in pointers,,
    >
    > 64-bit doubles the storage required for pointers, which means that the application
    >
    > takes twice the RAM memory under a 64 bit system than a 32 bit system.
    >

    > So it's self-defeating to go to 64 bit unless you quadruple the memory, in a
    >
    > pointer-heavy application.
    >
    > --
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Thanks for raining on my parade, Ron! The chip-set AFAIK is maxed at 4Gb.
    Bob_Villa, Mar 4, 2013
  5. RnR Guest

    On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 08:31:47 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Bob_Villa wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:06:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
    >> > Is it possible to change Video Shared memory in BIOS on this model? I checked all options and I'm afraid that it's not impossible but maybe you know somethin

    >> I can only add that I just went from 2Gb to 4Gb and W7 64-bit and it was a great improvement to my 1545. This is my daughter's old college notebook that I got
    >> I bought 4Gb DDR2 on CL ($20) which was from a deceased HP dv4-1225dx.

    >Comment on 64-bit; in my case, with heavy use of an application heavy in pointers,,
    >64-bit doubles the storage required for pointers, which means that the application
    >takes twice the RAM memory under a 64 bit system than a 32 bit system.
    >
    >So it's self-defeating to go to 64 bit unless you quadruple the memory, in a
    >pointer-heavy application.

    I'm not a programmer but reading MS site about pointers doesn't say
    anything about this. What type programming are you trying to run
    under x64 that needs so much more ram than 32 bit ?

    I've had no problem running programs with my 4gb ram in win 7 x64
    including engineering software.
    RnR, Mar 5, 2013
  6. Ron Hardin Guest

    RnR wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 08:31:47 -0500, Ron Hardin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bob_Villa wrote:

    somet

    > >> I can only add that I just went from 2Gb to 4Gb and W7 64-bit and it was a great improvement to my 1545. This is my daughter's old college notebook that I g
    > >> I bought 4Gb DDR2 on CL ($20) which was from a deceased HP dv4-1225dx.

    > >Comment on 64-bit; in my case, with heavy use of an application heavy in pointers,,
    > >64-bit doubles the storage required for pointers, which means that the application
    > >takes twice the RAM memory under a 64 bit system than a 32 bit system.
    > >
    > >So it's self-defeating to go to 64 bit unless you quadruple the memory, in a
    > >pointer-heavy application.

    > I'm not a programmer but reading MS site about pointers doesn't say
    > anything about this. What type programming are you trying to run
    > under x64 that needs so much more ram than 32 bit ?
    >
    > I've had no problem running programs with my 4gb ram in win 7 x64
    > including engineering software.

    To address more than 4gb you need pointers longer than 32 bits, 32 bits
    being able to address 2^32 bytes or 4294967296 (=4.2gb). So the pointers
    are going to double in length to 64 bits.

    If the application is expecting to use that memory, and its storage is made
    up mostly of pointers (usually pointers to other pointers), then it's in
    effect lost half the new storage just to stay even.

    Most apps are probably not mostly pointers, but a few pointers to objects
    other than pointers.

    My understanding is that conventionally integers are kept the same length
    and pointers double, though that will depend on the compiler.

    My particular app would need both integers and pointers to double, so I
    don't know if it would even compile as a 64 bit app.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 5, 2013
  7. Bob_Villa Guest

    On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:16:48 AM UTC-6, Ron Hardin wrote:

    > > >Comment on 64-bit; in my case, with heavy use of an application heavy in pointers,,

    > > >64-bit doubles the storage required for pointers, which means that the application

    > > >takes twice the RAM memory under a 64 bit system than a 32 bit system.

    > > >So it's self-defeating to go to 64 bit unless you quadruple the memory, in a

    > > >pointer-heavy application.

    I found this on Pointers: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/int/sx7.html
    I don't know where you come-up with "4 times" the memory needed...it appears arbitrary.
    Someone did say to have at least 4Gb of ram if you're running 64-bit or you will be thrashing the HD.
    Bob_Villa, Mar 6, 2013
  8. Ron Hardin Guest

    Bob_Villa wrote:

    > I found this on Pointers: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/int/sx7.html
    > I don't know where you come-up with "4 times" the memory needed...it appears arbitrary.
    > Someone did say to have at least 4Gb of ram if you're running 64-bit or you will be thrashing the HD.
    > Ref> http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/32-bit-vs-64-bit-more-bit-more-performance/

    You need double the memory to stay even.

    If you want to double your effective working space by going to 64 bit, you need 4 times the
    memory, twice for the doubled pointer size and twice for doubling the number of
    pointer-containing objects.

    You'd be heavy on pointers if the objects you work with mostly refer to other objects of the
    same type, so most of the space they take up scales with the pointer size.

    Video processing won't be pointer-heavy, as most of the space is taken by bytes of video
    data, and bytes stay the same size.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 6, 2013
  9. RnR Guest

    On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 06:49:35 -0500, Ron Hardin
    <> wrote:

    >Bob_Villa wrote:

    >> I found this on Pointers: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cclass/int/sx7.html
    >> I don't know where you come-up with "4 times" the memory needed...it appears arbitrary.
    >> Someone did say to have at least 4Gb of ram if you're running 64-bit or you will be thrashing the HD.
    >> Ref> http://blog.tune-up.com/windows-insights/32-bit-vs-64-bit-more-bit-more-performance/

    >You need double the memory to stay even.
    >
    >If you want to double your effective working space by going to 64 bit, you need 4 times the
    >memory, twice for the doubled pointer size and twice for doubling the number of
    >pointer-containing objects.
    >
    >You'd be heavy on pointers if the objects you work with mostly refer to other objects of the
    >same type, so most of the space they take up scales with the pointer size.
    >
    >Video processing won't be pointer-heavy, as most of the space is taken by bytes of video
    >data, and bytes stay the same size.

    What is the benefit of pointers? Is there a workaround? In other
    words, can you program to get the same end result without using
    pointers?

    I ask because 64bit was supposed to be better than 32bit and just a
    couple years ago, it was the going thing to get 4gb ram in new laptops
    running 64bit operating systems.
    RnR, Mar 6, 2013
  10. Ron Hardin Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > What is the benefit of pointers? Is there a workaround? In other
    > words, can you program to get the same end result without using
    > pointers?
    >
    > I ask because 64bit was supposed to be better than 32bit and just a
    > couple years ago, it was the going thing to get 4gb ram in new laptops
    > running 64bit operating systems.

    Pointers are variables that contain addresses. You can get around them by declaring
    memory to be one big array and using integers as subscripts, but the problem
    is not solved. If you have more than 4gb that you want to address, it takes
    more than 32 bits in the pointer or in the integer subscript, just because you
    need the pointer or integer to take on at least as many values as you have
    real addresses, and it takes more than 32 bits to have enough values.

    The most efficient way is pointers but lots of languages don't have them.
    Those will have to use 64 bit integers instead of 64 bit pointers.

    I don't see the point of a 64 bit O/S with 4gb of memory since 32 bits can
    address that much. If you want to go more than 4gb you need a 64 bit O/S.

    That's the cutover that I was talking about not working as neatly as you might
    hope, depending on what your applications that you run are.

    Worst case you'd need 64 bit/8gb of memory to get back to where you were with
    32 bit/4gb.

    Not worst case it might do pretty well. It all depends on what apps you run.

    (Also cache hits will be less local, which will slow it down potentially.)

    Ron Hardin, Mar 7, 2013
  11. Bob_Villa Guest

    On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:05:46 PM UTC-6, Ron Hardin wrote:>

    > Worst case you'd need 64 bit/8gb of memory to get back to where you were with
    >
    > 32 bit/4gb.
    >

    > Not worst case it might do pretty well. It all depends on what apps you run.

    If I reload this to 32-bit/4Gb... I won't be able to address the entire 4Gb!
    Bob_Villa, Mar 7, 2013
  12. Ron Hardin Guest

    Bob_Villa wrote:

    > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:05:46 PM UTC-6, Ron Hardin wrote:>
    > >
    > > Worst case you'd need 64 bit/8gb of memory to get back to where you were with
    > >
    > > 32 bit/4gb.
    > >

    > > Not worst case it might do pretty well. It all depends on what apps you run.
    > >

    > If I reload this to 32-bit/4Gb... I won't be able to address the entire 4Gb!

    32 bits addresses 4gb.

    You might be talking about the address space lost to video etc? Yes, you do gain
    that with 64 bit, which presumably talks to video etc. at some out-of-band address.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 7, 2013
  13. Ben Myers Guest

    On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:05:46 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
    > RnR wrote:
    >
    > > What is the benefit of pointers? Is there a workaround? In other

    > > words, can you program to get the same end result without using

    > > pointers?

    > > I ask because 64bit was supposed to be better than 32bit and just a

    > > couple years ago, it was the going thing to get 4gb ram in new laptops

    > > running 64bit operating systems.

    > Pointers are variables that contain addresses. You can get around them by declaring
    >
    > memory to be one big array and using integers as subscripts, but the problem
    >
    > is not solved. If you have more than 4gb that you want to address, it takes
    >
    > more than 32 bits in the pointer or in the integer subscript, just because you
    >
    > need the pointer or integer to take on at least as many values as you have
    >
    > real addresses, and it takes more than 32 bits to have enough values.
    >

    > The most efficient way is pointers but lots of languages don't have them.
    >
    > Those will have to use 64 bit integers instead of 64 bit pointers.
    >

    > I don't see the point of a 64 bit O/S with 4gb of memory since 32 bits can
    >
    > address that much. If you want to go more than 4gb you need a 64 bit O/S..
    >

    > That's the cutover that I was talking about not working as neatly as you might
    >
    > hope, depending on what your applications that you run are.
    >

    > Worst case you'd need 64 bit/8gb of memory to get back to where you were with
    >
    > 32 bit/4gb.
    >

    > Not worst case it might do pretty well. It all depends on what apps you run.
    >

    > (Also cache hits will be less local, which will slow it down potentially.)
    >
    > --
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    I'm not so sure that it is a hard-and-fast rule that one needs 8GB to run 64-bit Win 7 well. Yes, it does help, but I've handled 4GB 64-bit Win 7 laptops with pretty fast processors and they run decently for the most part. There are always exceptions, and also the caveat that it depends on what one is doing with a computer.

    But, yes, by all means, if you have a 64-bit system with less than 8GB of DDR3 memory, upgrade the memory to 8GB. DDR3 is cheap. Older memory not so.... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2013
  14. Bob_Villa Guest

    On Saturday, March 9, 2013 8:31:21 AM UTC-6, Ben Myers wrote:
    > On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:05:46 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
    >
    > > RnR wrote:

    > > > What is the benefit of pointers? Is there a workaround? In other

    > > > words, can you program to get the same end result without using

    > > > pointers?

    > > > I ask because 64bit was supposed to be better than 32bit and just a

    > > > couple years ago, it was the going thing to get 4gb ram in new laptops

    > > > running 64bit operating systems.

    > > Pointers are variables that contain addresses. You can get around themby declaring

    > > memory to be one big array and using integers as subscripts, but the problem

    > > is not solved. If you have more than 4gb that you want to address, it takes

    > > more than 32 bits in the pointer or in the integer subscript, just because you

    > > need the pointer or integer to take on at least as many values as you have

    > > real addresses, and it takes more than 32 bits to have enough values.

    > > The most efficient way is pointers but lots of languages don't have them.

    > > Those will have to use 64 bit integers instead of 64 bit pointers.

    > > I don't see the point of a 64 bit O/S with 4gb of memory since 32 bits can

    > > address that much. If you want to go more than 4gb you need a 64 bit O/S.

    > > That's the cutover that I was talking about not working as neatly as you might

    > > hope, depending on what your applications that you run are.

    > > Worst case you'd need 64 bit/8gb of memory to get back to where you were with

    > > 32 bit/4gb.

    > > Not worst case it might do pretty well. It all depends on what apps you run.

    > > (Also cache hits will be less local, which will slow it down potentially.)

    > > --

    > > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    > I'm not so sure that it is a hard-and-fast rule that one needs 8GB to run64-bit Win 7 well. Yes, it does help, but I've handled 4GB 64-bit Win 7 laptops with pretty fast processors and they run decently for the most part.There are always exceptions, and also the caveat that it depends on what one is doing with a computer.
    >

    > But, yes, by all means, if you have a 64-bit system with less than 8GB ofDDR3 memory, upgrade the memory to 8GB. DDR3 is cheap. Older memory not so... Ben Myers

    I didn't want to pass on 4Gb DDR2 for $20...when I had in-mind to upgrade the notebook to W7 and 64-bit. (I had bought an i3 with that installed)
    Bob_Villa, Mar 9, 2013