Dell Inspiron 2600 display compatibility problem.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by mike, Jun 1, 2011.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
    The display seems to be "incompatible"
    When you try install XP, it ends up in
    4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
    to be incompatible with existing software.

    Yes, you can install the windows drivers
    from the DELL website to fix windows,
    but what about stuff that isn't windows?

    Been a while, but I remember giving up
    on a linux installation.

    IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
    rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
    fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
    the rescue disk to restore it.
    The display is unusable and I can't figger
    out how to make it work well enough to get
    the restore done.

    Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
    and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
    not do that.

    Suggestions?
    Thanks, mike

    mike, Jun 1, 2011

  2. mike

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 01/06/2011 04:49, mike wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
    > The display seems to be "incompatible"
    > When you try install XP, it ends up in
    > 4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
    > to be incompatible with existing software.
    >
    > Yes, you can install the windows drivers
    > from the DELL website to fix windows,
    > but what about stuff that isn't windows?
    >
    > Been a while, but I remember giving up
    > on a linux installation.
    >
    > IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
    > rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
    > fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
    > the rescue disk to restore it.
    > The display is unusable and I can't figger
    > out how to make it work well enough to get
    > the restore done.
    >
    > Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
    > and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
    > not do that.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    > Thanks, mike

    What happens if you plug in an external monitor?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jun 1, 2011

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Roger Mills wrote:
    > On 01/06/2011 04:49, mike wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
    >> The display seems to be "incompatible"
    >> When you try install XP, it ends up in
    >> 4-color vga mode. The hardware seems
    >> to be incompatible with existing software.
    >>
    >> Yes, you can install the windows drivers
    >> from the DELL website to fix windows,
    >> but what about stuff that isn't windows?
    >>
    >> Been a while, but I remember giving up
    >> on a linux installation.
    >>
    >> IN particular, I'm trying to run the Acronis
    >> rescue disk to restore a backup. Acronis works
    >> fine from windows to backup, but I need to boot
    >> the rescue disk to restore it.
    >> The display is unusable and I can't figger
    >> out how to make it work well enough to get
    >> the restore done.
    >>
    >> Yes, I can reinstall windows, reinstall acronis,
    >> and do the restore from inside windows. I'd rather
    >> not do that.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?
    >> Thanks, mike

    > What happens if you plug in an external monitor?

    Display looks fine initially, Acronis rescue disk loads, but reboots
    when I try to navigate
    to the backup destination directory.

    mike, Jun 1, 2011