    Thanks

    David
    , Jul 20, 2006

  2. hdrdtd Guest

    I don't recall exactly, but I'll bet there is a setting (possibly in the
    BIOS) that would dictate what happens to the touchpad when an external mouse
    is plugged in.

    The usual options normally are

    Disable touchpad when external mouse is used
    allow both mouse and touchpad to work at the same time.

    hdrdtd, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Jay B Guest

    loose wire under keyboard?
    i dont think this is software.
    to prove it, boot off a bootable cd and you will see it happen there also.

    Jay B, Jul 21, 2006
  4. this is true, however it only applies to a ps/2 type mouse (not a usb
    mouse).
    if the on board mouse is disabled then the drift will go away (as in use a
    ps/2 external mouse and have the bios set to disable internal mouse when
    external is detected - at boot that is, not if plugged in later).
    a replacement keyboard will solve this for you. i might have a used but
    working spare if you are interested or call dell spare parts for one. easy
    to install and under $40.
    oh, did you happen to install drivers for you external mouse? if so that
    may become a problem too as the synaptacs touch pad driver does no coexist
    well with other drivers (particularly logitech).

    Christopher Muto, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Zeroid

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    What I did

    I have an old beat 4100 that I was tinkering with and it started with the crazy mouse problem. After reading this thread, I removed the rubber cap on the joystick pointer, grabbed the plastic part that the rubber attached to with a plier and pulled up.The plastic popped loose revealing another smaller plastic joystick stump below. I noticed a decayed foam seal around this stump. I scrapped the seal away and put a few drops of contact cleaner around the stump. I snapped the plastic part back onto the stump with a firm downward pressure and reinstalled the rubber cap. No more crazy mouse. Hope this helps someone.
    Zeroid, Jan 5, 2012