    printer. I've tried to call Dell but never get a person.

    Thanks in advance,
    , Nov 14, 2006

  2. Bob Levine Guest

    wrote:

    > HI,
    >
    > I have 2 Dell 1700 Laser Printers with the same problem. The paper does
    > not feed from the tray. We can feed page by page thru the bypass but
    > that's not ideal, as you can imagine. It appears that the arm that
    > should lower the feed wheels is not lowering. Before I dig down too
    > deep below the gears I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who
    > has had the same problem.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know who to contact to get a service manual for this
    > printer. I've tried to call Dell but never get a person.

    Are you using decent paper? Is the paper exposed to humidity?

    Bob
    Bob Levine, Nov 14, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I have 2 Dell 1700 Laser Printers with the same problem. The paper does
    > not feed from the tray. We can feed page by page thru the bypass but
    > that's not ideal, as you can imagine. It appears that the arm that
    > should lower the feed wheels is not lowering. Before I dig down too
    > deep below the gears I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who
    > has had the same problem.

    Is there a strip that that roller contacts on the tray which the paper
    rubs up against (as there is in most HP, Xerox and Brother lasers?).

    If so, a tip one Brother engineer gave me was to periodically stick some
    selotape over that pad and rub it with your finger for a bit to clean it
    thoroughly. Ditto with the pickup roller. Apparently paper fibres stick
    to the rollers and make them less grippy.

    It's worked for me pleanty of times in the past, so it may be worth a
    go. If you're going to try it, make sure you get all the tape back of
    afterwards and that you don't force any rollers round in the process.

    Usual disclaimers apply, YMMV etc etc.

    Alex
    Alex Harrington, Nov 14, 2006
  4. you probably need new pickup rollers. you could try to clean them with
    rubbing alcohol and keeping the paper tray close to full but those fixes
    probably won't last very long. if you have a high page count you may just
    want to consider buying replacement machines. your time is money.
    http://www.impactcomputers.com/j4465.html
    this place has other parts too. they are pricey but i don't know of other
    sources for dell printer parts. please post if you find any.

    Christopher Muto, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Jay B Guest

    my source for all printer repairs is fixyourownprinter.com
    they have great kits, unfortunately, they have nothing specific for dell
    but they do have lexmark paper jam kits for the 4000 series, etc.
    so this may work.
    i have used their solutions for years and they work.

    Jay B, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Thanks for all the advice. We did clean the rollers, etc. but the
    problem is the arm is not dropping down to allow the rollers to reach
    the paper. I worked in a copy shop for a long time so I can appreciate
    the affect poor paper and humidity have on a printer. The paper is okay
    it's just the arm won't lower to get at it.

    We simply replaced the printers and i have set up a little shop in our
    warehouse to work on these and other things. I look forward to going
    back to hands on mechanical repair for a bit, time away from my users,
    you know? :)

    If anyone knows where I can get Dell printer service manuals, please
    let me know.

    Thanks again!! and everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    , Nov 21, 2006
  7. spjutster

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    A quick cheap fix

    I had the same problem that the paper wouldn't get to second set of rollers. So I tried all the usual things - cleaning with tape and rubbing alcohol, but didn't work. I noticed that on the drop down arm that grabs the paper from the stack, the rubber parts on the wheels were easy to take off. So I took them off, turned them inside-out, and put them back on. So far this has solved the problem completely. Keep in mind that this is not quite what dell would suggest, but if you don't want to spend the money to buy new rollers this may be something you want to try. Good luck.
    spjutster, Jul 17, 2008
  8. mykc

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks for the tip

    Thanks "spjutster". Reversing the rubber bands on the feeder rollers, as you suggested, worked for me and saved me a considerable amount of time and money. Your help is much appreciated.
    mykc, Sep 24, 2008
  9. whitems

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Thank you for the information on reversing the pickup roller contacts. I was ready to discard my printer. It works great now. :)
    whitems, Dec 24, 2008
  10. tcashae

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Dell 1700 printer jam

    Thanks for the tip. Reversing the roller bands did the trick. Hopefully this will last 3 plus years like they did the other way. Thanks.
    tcashae, Jan 17, 2010
  11. railrider

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Sorry for the thread necro, but I just wanted to thank spjutster and the rest of you for this thread. A friend gave me one of these printers, and I had no idea why it refused to load paper from the paper tray.

    Edit: Oh. Some of the Dell 1700s were recalled in 2004. I can't post a link since I'm a new member, but a quick Google search will bring up more information.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    railrider, Jul 10, 2010