    Has anyone done this?

    Thank you,

    R.R.

    Raintree, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Raintree

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's messy. You need to splice wires from the generic case to the motherboard.
    You need a cooling fan with a Dell 3-pin connector. Floppy, IDE, and power
    supply connectors are standard. So are the Pentium 4 Socket 478 power supplies.

    I suggest either selling the board or buying a GX260 case. I ***THINK*** that a
    GX150, GX240, or GX250 case will do, too. Also a Precision 340, 350, or 360
    case, and a Dell 8200, 8250, 8300 case. The foregoing assumes that the GX260
    board is mounted on a standard Dell mounting plate, right? If not, there are a
    few more obstacles, like the I/O backplate, which is also unique to Dell.

    Dell DID standardize for a while on the types of leads from front panel to
    motherboard across a number of models of computer. Now Dell seems to have
    changed them, and I haven't quite figured it all out yet... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Raintree

    Pen Guest

    "Raintree" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Optiplex gx260 motherboard, and a dell power supply but
    > no Dell case to put them in.
    >
    > I do have a generic computer case that it will fit into and I am
    > wondering if the single wires to the front panel can be plugged into
    > the 34 pin plug on the Dell without to many problems.
    >
    > Has anyone done this?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > R.R.

    I wouldn't recommend that as the 34 pin socket is
    for the floppy drive. The front panel connector is next to the
    battery. However, it's undocumented. You could try this
    one, but it's not guaranteed to work. Ignore the power supply
    info as it doesn't apply to the 260.
    http://duhvoodooman.com/mitchedo/Dell/fpconn.htm

    Pen, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Raintree

    Raintree Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:09:13 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net> wrote:

    Thank you for your reply.
    Guess I will keep looking for a case.

    Bought the m/b off Ebay...no mention that it was a Dell.
    Would realist it but I don't know if it even works. Hmmm

    Oh! Yes it came with the metal plate so it should just pop in and
    some where in all the boxes of parts I have is a new in box 3pin case
    fan.

    Printed out your reply so I can continue the search for cases.
    Ebay has them but the shipping is more than the case....Ha!

    Thank you,

    R.R.

    Raintree, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Raintree

    Ben Myers Guest

    Dell cooling fans require a custom 3-pin connector, not the fairly standard
    3-pinner found on other fans for more conventional motherboards... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Raintree

    phillipo Guest

    I have a very similar similar situation here. It all began way back i
    the late 80's when I was a computer tech.....zzzzzzzz
    Basically, what I'm trying to say is after being away from being
    tech for a long time, things have changed. There seems to be mor
    inbuilt incompatibility these days I'd say. I have a dell gx240 whic
    I have managed to wedge into my sons case following the death of hi
    mobo, the obstacle I now have is the damned 34 pin front pane
    connector, I did fire the system up using a improvised jumper on tw
    pretty much random pins on the connector, but I really really nee
    the pinouts for it so I can do a semi decent job of it. Did you eve
    get rid of your mobo OP

    phillipo, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Raintree

    Phoenix2000

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Dell MB in generic case No Problem

    I know this thread is old, but just in case someone stumbles across this form looking for the answer, here it is. Nothing infuriates me more than looking for the answer to a question, and only finding other people with the same question and no answer.

    I have successfully placed a Dell Optiplex GX270 MB in an Aspire Qpack case. I had to drill holes and insert my own MB risers. I also had to cover the original risers with electric tape as not to short out anything. Also I had to offset the MB from the center to align the PCI and AGP slots thus disabling the MB slide out tray. This was not an issue as I am used to the old days when men were men and cases were difficult.

    The slightly difficult part was connecting the QPak's PWR switch, PWR LED and HD LED to the propritary connector. Because I have the front panel board with the PWR switch, PWR LED and HD LED, I just followed the simple circuit and determined where the connectors should go on the front panel board with the two USB connectors and earphone jack.

    If you do not have these two front panel boards, here is a pinout I found.

    This only relates to Power switch HD and Power Leds.
    Front USB is unknown.

    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    O O
    PWR + -- O O -- PWR GRD
    HD LED + -- O KEY
    O O -- PWR LED -
    O O --GRD
    O O -- PWR LED +
    O O --PWR LED GRD
    O O
    O O

    I currently have the GX270 MB in an Aspire Qpack with 7 internal 300GB HDs containing 500 movies ripped from DVD and an internal LG 16X DL DVD burner. Works great.

    P.S. By the way if you need to replace the CPU fan, the easiest way is to get a molex fan and disable keyboard events in the BIOS to get rid of the fan alert message. No need to jump the CPU fan connector.

    Phoenix2000, Jul 28, 2006
  8. Raintree

    Phoenix2000

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I did it again...

    I have successfully placed a GX270 MB in another case for my son. He selected the Diabolic case. The case has horns...leave it up to my son.

    In either event, after scratching my head the first time round with the Aspire case, this time was a snap. Plus to make things even easier, I had a ghost image of the XP Pro install from the first GX270 install, so I was up and running in under an hour starting from pulling apart the Dell case to get the MB and initial front panel board with USB, Firewire and headphone jack.

    Phoenix2000, Aug 25, 2006
  9. Raintree

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I just finished figuring out how to do this, and I rang out a bunch more of the wiring than was previously posted.

    here's a diagram of the connector on the motherboard:

    33 31 29 27 25 23 21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1
    o o o o o o x o o o o o o o o o o
    o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
    34 32 30 28 26 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2

    The 34-pin ribbon cable runs to a small sub-board for the front panel, which includes a 16-pin(2x8) header which gets another ribbon cable that goes to the "sub-sub-baord" for the actual poanel light and switches.

    The table below shows the functions of the pins on the 34-pin connector, plus where they connect to on the 16-pin "sub-board" header.

    34-Pin function 16-Pin
    1 GND 3, 7, 15, 16
    2 ?
    3 ?
    4 ?
    5 ?
    6 ?
    7 ?
    8 ?
    9 GND
    10 ? 11
    11 GND
    12 ?
    13 ?
    14 GND
    15 ?
    16 GND
    17 ?
    18 ?
    19 GND
    20 Pwr Switch 2
    21 “KEY”
    22 HD LED 4
    23 PWR LED - 5
    24 ? 13
    25 GND
    26 ?
    27 PWR LED + 9
    28 ? 8
    29 GND
    30 GND
    31 ?
    32 GND
    33 ?
    34 ?

    I hope this saves somebody an houtr or 2.

    Andy

    , Apr 23, 2007
  10. Raintree

    delluser

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Dell motherboard Gateway2000 133 case 34pin workaround

    Hello,I saw previous post on the Motherboard point webpage regarding using a Dell motherboard in a generic case.I have built a similiar project and I have multiple Gateway 2000 cases and several Gx260 boards and I am currently building the first prototype.This is what I'm working with.I have a Dell P4 Gx260 board and a molex 12v connector for the extra P4 board feed and an ATX power supply.I do not have any Dell front I/O panels with the USB,power switch and audio stuff. I have gotten everything to fit nicely in a old Gateway 133 case.I have everything installed and hooked up except for finishing the pinout for the 34pin front I/O panel connections to the 34pin on the Dell board. Do I need to have the front Dell panel to install in a generic case? I am hoping there is a workaround and a solution without having to purchase a bunch of empty Dell towers and components . I am hoping to get working my Dell boards in these Gateway2000 133 cases without using a Dell front panels.I am not worried about having the front USB and audio inputs,I just want to get one up and running.Does anyone have any advise? I have all the leads from the Gateway case including the Power switch leads, the HDD LED,RESET SW,and POWER LED.I was hoping that if I got the power switch hooked up I would be able to get the computer to POST. Is it required to have all the HDD LED,POWER LED and reset switch ect... hooked up just to get it going? Any ideas or suggestions a workaround on how to wire in the everything to the 34 pin Dell connector on the board itself? In a post from April of last year there was a similiar post but that post did not give me enough of the specifics regarding which existing Gateway panel wires and how they pinout the the Dell connector.How do I know which of the existing Gateway wires are positive or negative?The cases I have are Gateway 2000 cases with no pinout info available. I have a one leftover old 34 pin I/O Dell front panel cable connector,I figure I can possibly use the connector without the pancake wire to fabricate a custom cable for the connections between the board and front panel. I am guessing that I might need to have additional Dell components that I don't have. Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks:eek:

    delluser, Apr 22, 2008
  11. Raintree

    Bill-S

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    REALLY generic case

    I have to agree with the comment about searching results coming up with identical problems and typically no solutions, but it stands to reason people are looking for answers more then there are people sharing things they've found that work... They fix a problem a move on. I bought an upgrade mobo Dell board but decided I had the chance to give the old one a new home. though it's a bit wasted in a nice ATX case a much newer board can reside it... This is a Dell Pentium 2 Slot 1 mobo with three SDRAM slots that are less then 1GB Ram spec, IIRC. ISA slots still around too. No good AGP speed here, PCI slots only. Anyway, thanks for the links and pinpout help.
    Even though this thread is very old, it's still useful!!!

    Bill-S, Jun 5, 2008
  12. Raintree

    canoad56

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    still got problems

    My mother board is from a Dell Precision 350, is the pin out the same as on the GX270?

    canoad56, Feb 9, 2011