    for buying 1GB PC133 SDRAM DIMMS ?

    Thanks!
    -usman

    Usman Muzaffar, Jun 12, 2005

    Fixer, Jun 12, 2005

  3. Usman Muzaffar

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    "Fixer" <> wrote in message
    news:d8hb69$s77$...
    > yes it really is a 1 gig limit

    What governs the RAM limit?

    Spammy Sammy, Jun 12, 2005
  4. In this case, the chipset on the mainboard.

    Edward J. Neth, Jun 12, 2005

  5. > In this case, the chipset on the mainboard.

    But what I don't understand is that tech specs
    for an Optiplex GX240 list i845 chipset, 1GB
    max ram:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/ug/specs.htm

    but the Intel specs for all of the 845 chipsets
    list 2GB as the maximum :

    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm

    Is it because 845 chipset supports 4-6 slots each
    with a max of 512mb, but since the GX240 board only
    has 2 lots, it tops at 1G? Is that what 'Mbit support'
    means in the chipset specs?

    -usman

    Usman Muzaffar, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Usman Muzaffar

    Pen Guest

    I suspect that Dell never tested the mobo
    with more than 1 GB. The Intel spec does say
    up to 3GB in 3 slots for single or double
    sided SDRAM 133. The 512 Mbit has to do
    with chip sizes I think. 16 x 512 Mb= 1GB.
    Whether the GX240 will really work with this
    is a question mark appar5ently. Have you
    queried the Dell forums?

    Pen, Jun 13, 2005