Dell Optiplex GX260 -- 2nd serial port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. X, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Hi.

    Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.

    I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
    normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
    adaptor. But not here.

    The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.

    Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
    (first diagram, item #15)

    To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
    standard cable will fit.

    Standard layout:

    o o o o
    o o o o o

    Dell layout:

    o o o o o
    o o o o o o

    I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
    ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
    heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
    show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).

    So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
    know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?

    Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
    Dell, obviously!)

    Thanks
    ===
    Mark T.
    Mr. X, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Mr. X

    Pen Guest

    Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/cards.htm#1104768
    Did they deny its existence?

    Pen, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Yes they do!

    I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
    (12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
    naturally.

    Would you have this info?

    I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
    doubt I would find something that specific...

    Mark T.

    Mr. X, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Mr. X

    Pen Guest

    Sorry, I'm no help.

    Pen, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Mr. X

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
    >
    > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
    > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
    > adaptor. But not here.
    >
    > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
    >
    > Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
    > (first diagram, item #15)
    >
    > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
    > standard cable will fit.
    >

    > Standard layout:
    >
    > o o o o
    > o o o o o
    >

    > Dell layout:
    >
    > o o o o o
    > o o o o o o
    >

    > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
    > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
    > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
    > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
    >

    > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
    > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
    >
    > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
    > Dell, obviously!)
    >

    > Thanks
    > ===
    > Mark T.

    Hold your nose and call Dell spare parts:1-800-357-3355 . The SKU for that
    part is 310-1675 according to their website.

    The reason the system didn't come with this second serial port is because it
    is a $9 add-on option (that apparently wasn't ordered at the time of
    purchase).

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Stew,

    Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.

    I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
    Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.

    It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
    not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
    it is everywhere else. (sigh)

    Mark T.

    Mr. X, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Mr. X

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message
    > Stew,
    >
    > Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.
    >
    > I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
    > Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.
    >
    > It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
    > not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
    > it is everywhere else. (sigh)
    >

    > Mark T.

    <snip>

    Try this number then:

    Dell (UK) is 0870 907 4000, ask for Part Sales, option 4. Let's hope the
    SKU is the same, as I don't have the 5 digit (dell) part number handy. The
    part is referred to on their website as "second serial port adapter". This
    SKU will work in the tower, the small desktop, but will NOT ( I don't think)
    work in the slimline GX260 (if there is such an animal, the card brackets
    are low profile whereas this part is full bracket length).

    Good luck

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Mr. X

    Declan Guest

    Try Dell part number 5P418. Their description is "SERIAL Port Adapter,
    Assembly, Bracket/Connector, Half Height"..
    Declan, Apr 28, 2004