Dell Optiplex GX260 -- 2nd serial port

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mr. X, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Hi.

    Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.

    I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
    normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
    adaptor. But not here.

    The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.

    Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
    (first diagram, item #15)

    To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
    standard cable will fit.

    Standard layout:

    o o o o
    o o o o o

    Dell layout:

    o o o o o
    o o o o o o

    I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
    ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
    heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
    show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).

    So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
    know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?

    Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
    Dell, obviously!)

    Thanks
    ===
    Mark T.

    Mr. X, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Mr. X

    Pen Guest

    Dell does mention a "serial port adapter" for it here;
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/cards.htm#1104768
    Did they deny its existence?

    Pen, Apr 26, 2004

  3. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Yes they do!

    I don't mind making the cable myself, but then I need a plastic piece
    (12-pin) that would fit the connector on the mobo, and the pinout
    naturally.

    Would you have this info?

    I guess I could start looking at second-hand PC parts sites, but I
    doubt I would find something that specific...

    Mark T.

    Mr. X, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Mr. X

    Pen Guest

    Sorry, I'm no help.

    Pen, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Mr. X

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Problem with a Dell Optiplex GX260.
    >
    > I need to install a second serial port on this motherboard. On a
    > normal system, I would plug a standard DB-9 ribbon cable on the
    > adaptor. But not here.
    >
    > The connector is on the mobo but no cable was delivered with it.
    >
    > Ref: http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/sysbrd.htm#1111216
    > (first diagram, item #15)
    >
    > To my surprise, the connector has 12, not 10 pins! So of course no
    > standard cable will fit.
    >

    > Standard layout:
    >
    > o o o o
    > o o o o o
    >

    > Dell layout:
    >
    > o o o o o
    > o o o o o o
    >

    > I spoke to Dell who gave me a whole song and dance: secondary serial
    > ports are no longer necessary (beside the point); they have never
    > heard of such a cable (that's a lie); that port is probably there for
    > show or diagnostics by their "qualified" personnel (bullshit).
    >

    > So it looks like I have to make my own cable. Would anyone happen to
    > know the correct pinout for this hybrid port?
    >
    > Or better yet, know where I could find a ready-made cable? (not at
    > Dell, obviously!)
    >

    > Thanks
    > ===
    > Mark T.

    Hold your nose and call Dell spare parts:1-800-357-3355 . The SKU for that
    part is 310-1675 according to their website.

    The reason the system didn't come with this second serial port is because it
    is a $9 add-on option (that apparently wasn't ordered at the time of
    purchase).

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Mr. X

    Mr. X Guest

    Stew,

    Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.

    I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
    Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.

    It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
    not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
    it is everywhere else. (sigh)

    Mark T.

    Mr. X, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Mr. X

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message
    > Stew,
    >
    > Ha thanks! I was looking for something like that.
    >
    > I don't know how easy (or difficult) it will be to find this part in
    > Europe but I'll certainly give it a try.
    >
    > It's been my experience with copmanies like Dell and Compaq that it's
    > not because a given part is available in one part of the world, that
    > it is everywhere else. (sigh)
    >

    > Mark T.

    <snip>

    Try this number then:

    Dell (UK) is 0870 907 4000, ask for Part Sales, option 4. Let's hope the
    SKU is the same, as I don't have the 5 digit (dell) part number handy. The
    part is referred to on their website as "second serial port adapter". This
    SKU will work in the tower, the small desktop, but will NOT ( I don't think)
    work in the slimline GX260 (if there is such an animal, the card brackets
    are low profile whereas this part is full bracket length).

    Good luck

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Mr. X

    Declan Guest

    Try Dell part number 5P418. Their description is "SERIAL Port Adapter,
    Assembly, Bracket/Connector, Half Height"..

    Declan, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Did anyone find a solution to this problem
    The spares part 5P418 is very hard to find ..read end of line
    The sales option 310-1675 has a full height case brkt but has th
    right m.brd plastic cnctr
    Anyone try a 310-6619 for a half height to suit a small form facto

    Your help would be really appreciated!

    gostraighto..dell, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Mr. X

    RobNC

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Um, dunno about solution, but as an EE, and board designer, I know how simplicity often makes our life significantly easier. So, I figured that pins 11 and 12 must be the "enable" pins. Shorting them together with a jumper proves indeed this is the case, and now Serial Port 2 shows up in the BIOS (whereas previously it was not there).

    In regards to how to make this mod work for you, you may have to use some ingenuity and find some older DB9-only header boards, then modify it with a 12-pin header, and manually short pins 11 and 12 to enable it, while connecting pins 1-9 normally (10 is No-Connect).

    RobNC, Dec 11, 2006
  11. Mr. X

    fooguy25

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

    I'm here because I've just faced the same question as the OP: How do I get to my second serial port?

    The part numbers listed elsewhere in this thread are available secondhand, but at ridiculous cost (around $30 shipped).

    I didn't want to pay $30, I didn't want to wait, and I didn't even want external access to the port, which is what the cables provide. I wanted to put my serial hardware inside the case.

    So, I've figured out the pinout of the 12-pin header.

    Pins 11 and 12 are indeed the enable pins. Close those with a jumper and the BIOS will enable the port.

    The other pins are as follows:

    Code:
      11    9     7     5     3     1
    [ENA] [RNG] [RTS] [GND] [TXD] [DCD]
    [ENA]       [CTS] [DSR] [DTR] [RXD]
      12          8     6     4     2

    Incidentally, the port is very robust. Some of my testing involved a jumper lead from 12V on the power supply. Three times I slipped and touched the wrong pins, creating sparks and crashing the system. Once was 12V to the ground pin. Incredibly, I don't seem to have done any permanent damage.

    I hope this information saves somebody else some time.

    fooguy25, Aug 10, 2008
  12. Mr. X

    jon4t2

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    1 Port DB9 Serial Slot Plate Bracket

    If anyone still wants to add a second serial port, I've found two sources for a IDC10-DB9 adapter. One has a full profile plate bracket and one has a low profile plate bracket.

    1) StarTech.com P/N: PLATE9MLP

    2) SIIG.com P/N: CB-BR0211-S1

    You'll have to grind the 1DC10 connector and bend a pin or two in the motherboard connector to get it to fit properly. Fuse the 1DC10 connector together with one or two drops of cyanoacrylate glue before grinding since you'll have to remove one of the clips holding it together. Sounds odd, but go slowly and it'll work.

    Don't forget to jumper pins 11-12 to activate the port.

    jon4t2, Feb 2, 2009