    Thanks,
    Ray
    , Feb 1, 2006

  2. S.Lewis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Our research group bought 4 Optiplex GX270s two years ago. Our warranty
    > has since run out and two of our systems have since developed problems.
    > After mixing and matching parts between all four systems we discovered
    > two bad motherboards (part #U1325). Neither of the motherboards seemed
    > to have bulging capacitors.
    >
    > I'm having a tough time tracking down replacements boards, that are in
    > stock, for a reasonable price (<$200). Does anyone know, is it possible
    > to replace Dell motherboards in the GX270 with another non-Dell board?
    > Or is the size and pin config still proprietary to Dell?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray

    Hiya Ray -

    Dilemmas, dilemmas.

    I'd look on ebay. Yes, ebay. Find a good price and a seller with
    near-perfect feedback.

    http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Optiplex GX270 motherboard

    Example of this: I was brought a Dimension 4550 and determined the board to
    be dead (part 6U214).

    In an effort to secure a Dell warranteed part, I called their spare parts
    division. The price quoted: $276.36 shipping and tax. Completely
    unrealistic given the age of the machine and the fact that I could buy an
    entire 4550 used tower for a small bit more than that (depending on the
    specs.).

    I located a seller on ebay out of Texas with 99%+ feedback and acquired a
    board using 'buy it now' for $63.00 (including shipping), new and still
    sealed in the OEM ESD bag. I'd call that a substantial savings, even
    without a 1-year Dell warranty behind it.

    I'd pointedly ask the seller if the boards for sale have the Nichicon
    capacitors:

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/whurd/Bad.jpg

    http://news.com.com/PCs plagued by bad capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks Stew,

    I guess I should have been more specific. We have ATX towers not the
    micros. I've been keeping my eyes open for the boards on eBay but so
    far nothing, and I'm starting to run short on time so I'm looking
    for some other options. Here's what I've found, but they're
    either way too expensive or, out of stock.

    http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectBuy=yes&ItemPartNumber=0U1325

    http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html

    http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-92217182478112/u1325.html

    Has anyone ever had any success (or failure) with non-Dell boards in
    their Dell machines?

    Ray
    , Feb 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks Stew,
    >
    > I guess I should have been more specific. We have ATX towers not the
    > micros. I've been keeping my eyes open for the boards on eBay but so
    > far nothing, and I'm starting to run short on time so I'm looking
    > for some other options. Here's what I've found, but they're
    > either way too expensive or, out of stock.
    >
    > http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectBuy=yes&ItemPartNumber=0U1325
    >
    > http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html
    >
    > http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-92217182478112/u1325.html
    >
    > Has anyone ever had any success (or failure) with non-Dell boards in
    > their Dell machines?
    >
    > Ray

    I'm not familiar with this partiicular model, but on most Dells the
    different cases use the SAME motherboard - it is only the risers that
    change. So if your current risers are OK, you can probably use the
    smaller case motherboards.
    , Feb 1, 2006
  5. Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, the larger models of GX270 use the same basic motherboard as the small form
    factor box. The larger models add a "riser" board that that does not rise at
    all. It acts as a planar extension, adding more PCI slots. If the OP obtains
    SFF boards, some elbow grease would be required to attach the board to the
    larger backplates used in the larger model.

    As an alternative, some careful analysis of other Dell models, notably Precision
    300-series and Dimension 8000-series may yield a suitable replacement board.
    Both Precision 300s and Dimension 8000s use the same backplate arrangement, but
    the board needs to use the same connectors and front panel wire leads.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2006
  6. S.Lewis Guest

    "Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, the larger models of GX270 use the same basic motherboard as the
    > small form
    > factor box. The larger models add a "riser" board that that does not rise
    > at
    > all. It acts as a planar extension, adding more PCI slots. If the OP
    > obtains
    > SFF boards, some elbow grease would be required to attach the board to the
    > larger backplates used in the larger model.
    >
    > As an alternative, some careful analysis of other Dell models, notably
    > Precision
    > 300-series and Dimension 8000-series may yield a suitable replacement
    > board.
    > Both Precision 300s and Dimension 8000s use the same backplate
    > arrangement, but
    > the board needs to use the same connectors and front panel wire leads.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    Come to think of it, a Dimension 8300 board might work in that machine,
    except that there would be no chassis intrusion switch connector but
    basically the same form factor when on the quick release tray.

    The GX270 uses the Intel 865 chipset while the 8300 uses the Intel 875...

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Feb 1, 2006
  7. Ben Myers Guest

    IIRC, probably a Precision 350 or 360 board would be OK, too... Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 1, 2006
  8. S.Lewis Guest

    > IIRC, probably a Precision 350 or 360 board would be OK, too... Ben

    I believe you, and that's good to know. I know squat about Precision.
    Don't get many of them.

    Hmm......yeah. The GX280 has a socket T/LGA 775 socket........no go there.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Feb 1, 2006
  9. Ray Guest

    We did our homework and decided on the 8300. The Dimension 8300
    motherboards worked like a charm, same form factor tray, so the
    transistion was smooth. We transferred the CPU, RAM, etc. and fired
    them up with minor problems. Once we downloaded all of the drivers from
    Dell everything seemed to work. The only catch is that the 8300 has no
    on-board video, so a card is required, we had AGP video cards in the GX
    270s so the transistion was fairly smooth.

    Thanks for the help.

    Ray
    Ray, Feb 21, 2006
  10. sagatsmachines

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I had to order one myself recently. Found it cheap and new

    I got one right here it and the unit came NEW

    http://www.impactcomputers.com/u1325.html

    sagatsmachines, Apr 25, 2008
  11. TheCapKing

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Replace the caps

    You can buy complete cap replacement kits or single caps from www.TheCapKing.com at the best prices online. We only use ultra low ESR Rubycon caps direct from the manufacturer. I am a tech for a large company and got tired of watching my employer waste $200 a board to fix these and decided to do something about it.
    TheCapKing, Jul 24, 2008