Dell Packardbell would be proud

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by metronid, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. metronid

    metronid Guest

    My daughther owns a Dell Dimesion 2400
    That is what she owns and that is what she uses

    When it was given to her from her grandmother she also purchased an in home
    3yr warranty

    In any case she has had pretyy good luck with the unit.
    I will clean up spyware and do other things to keep it up to snuff..

    She received a Epson Printer for Christmas and let me know it was time
    to install the printer.

    I figured I would hook it up temporarily to the front USB hub as it would be
    easier due the the surroundings and the existing wiring.

    The printer was unpacked and the cartridges were placed in and I was ready
    to cxarry over to the computer.
    Why she needs two printers is another question but this one is a photo
    printer.

    The old printer works flawlessly and is plugged into the rear USB
    She has Ipod nano whichs plugs into the front USB top connector

    Only connector left is the bootom one
    I plug in the printer and wait for it to be recognized
    It does not happen

    I assume it must be something else
    I just must figure the something

    I pull out the IPOD and place it there and it works
    I figure what is happening

    I get my magnifying glass and expore
    Ponce Deleon would be proud of me
    Columbus also
    Maybe even Mr Bill

    The bottom USB port had no plastic separator
    I figured maybe my daughter committed sabotage

    I asked her and she said
    I have never ever used the front USB untill last week
    and I used the top one because there is less chance of the cord ever
    pulling out.

    I go back to my magnifying glass and can see no remains of the black
    separator
    It looks as if it were never inserted during manufacturer

    SoI call dell
    Great place to learn a foreign language
    No one there speaks English
    I wish they had a press 1 for English

    The tech tells me the part is not replaceable
    I said excuse me
    It behind the front bezel and connects to a 20 pin connector.

    He puts me on hold
    I am sorry but the whole MB needs to be replaced as it is part of the
    motherboard
    Incorrect bu he is kind of right

    I said just send me the part or a tech to replace it

    He puts me on hold

    He returns in his broken english and says that I broke the item

    I am now getting a little mad

    Let me seak to your supervisor was my response

    Fifteen minutes later
    his brother comes on
    Must be his brother because they speak the same language

    Can I record this conversation was my first remark

    In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
    He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
    He said you have 4 others

    I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain items were
    not important
    The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not important

    So here is how it goes
    They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the cables and
    another board
    that resides up front some where
    All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars

    Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1 unit
    Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
    new
    Probably more of a cost than the original unit

    Why not just ship a new one
    Who nows
    I am not in an economist

    Love ya Dell

    metronid, Dec 28, 2005

  2. metronid

    Elector Guest

    "metronid" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >

    > Can I record this conversation was my first remark
    >
    > In any case he agreed that a repair was needed
    > He asked me why I could not just live without one bad USB port
    > He said you have 4 others
    >
    > I replied that I was sold a unit and it did not say that certain
    > items were not important
    > The manifest listed all items and did not say some were not
    > important
    >
    > So here is how it goes
    > They have to replace the whole MB and the front USB and all the
    > cables and another board
    > that resides up front some where
    > All for a part that costs maybe a few dollars
    >
    > Why because dell ships the whole mb and all the associated items a 1
    > unit
    > Than they have to pay a tech to take out the old and put in the
    > new
    > Probably more of a cost than the original unit

    And that is similar to what happened to a friend of mine who had the
    same problem. Although it happened 5 days after he bought it, the man
    came and installed a new or was it a refurbish mother board. He then
    tries the USB ports and low and behold the same thing occurred.

    He also stated that the unit was supposed to be USB 2.0 but his 2.0
    devices kept stating he was plugging a high speed device into a lower
    speed USB. We called Dell again and they sent a man out with yet
    another replacement and this time we sat there and watched as the man
    installed everything and then we told him not to leave until the unit
    was restored to proper working condition.

    Needless to say the problem still happened and now he was getting
    numerous blue screens of death, we wiped the OS clean and did a fresh
    non restore install and the system was stable. Went to
    http://www.usbman.com and got the USB 2.0 drivers and the unit now
    functions. But not that great. I installed a Belkin USB 2.0 card and
    he now has great USB. But shame on Dell for the crappy way it ships
    its systems. And they say the units are tested before they leave the
    plant. Sure they are....Ha ha

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 29, 2005

  3. metronid

    Ben Myers Guest

    That's pretty lame. I know the Dimension 2400s well. All that is needed is
    the proprietary cable that runs from the motherboard to the opening where the
    front USB ports are. The cable includes both front panel USB ports. As you've
    described the system, the USB assembly is defective.

    You have been victimized by some Dell script monkeys. The industry is now full
    of know-nothing script monkeys everywhere you turn... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 29, 2005
  4. metronid

    metronid Guest

    When the tech comes to repair the unit
    I will see if he will just do the USB port

    I know the risks of rebuilds
    I will also remove the additional memory and video capture card
    where were installed after the buy

    I think it may have taken 15 minutes working slowly to remove the USB port
    Then again they said the unit ships out a the MB and all the associated
    components
    Sounds lame to me

    metronid, Dec 29, 2005
  5. metronid

    metronid Guest

    I was away today
    Away at work

    My wife was home
    And a dell Tech came over

    I thought they would call the day before

    Nice person my wife said
    He has to come back for the part for the front USB

    She said he replaced a bad port on the back
    I show an order for a whole MB was shipped
    So he must have replaced the MB
    All the ports on the back worked
    Unless he saw something that I missed

    I just wanted my front USB Port
    Evidently Dell is full of it as the front USB is a separate part

    My daughter said the unit works OK
    Always did in any case

    Although she has used 77 gigs of 80 for songs

    I still have my Pentium 2 which is now a pentium 3
    The one that I built
    Running 840MHZ with a 750MHZ slot 1 at a 112mhz bus and with 768MB of ram
    XP Professional

    metronid, Dec 30, 2005
  6. metronid

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'll guarantee that the front panel USB ports on the Dimension 2400 (and many
    other Dell models) are attached to a proprietary cable, which hooks into the
    motherboard, usually between a couple of PCI slots. I've ripped 'em apart, and
    put 'em together. Lots of them.

    The sane and sensible service procedure would be to replace the USB cable first
    (requires careful disassembly of the chassis), then test the front USB ports.
    If the front USB ports work, declare victory and put the system back together.
    If the front USB ports still do not work, replace the mobo. But then, I put
    myself in the sane category. I guess it's better not to be a certified Dell
    repair person... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 31, 2005
  7. metronid

    metronid Guest

    Ben I know you are correct
    I already checked

    I am just being a tard with Dell
    They were utterly nasty to me on the phone

    I took the part out in 5 minutes and gave them the part number

    It connects to the MB with a blue cable

    They just feel I need a new MB
    Got one now
    Did not need it

    The tech says he has to get the front USB connector
    which is a separate part

    It is hard to tell this to so
    someone in India making
    15 cents per hour

    Dell is tring to keep its cost down
    I am trying to help them

    One technician call for a MB
    One return call for the fron USB connector
    Cost of items and shipping

    This will keep them in line with the 15 cent an hour rate
    OH shit they pay standard wages here in the US

    Well they can afford it

    metronid, Dec 31, 2005
  8. metronid

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've had my issues with Dell's in-warranty service. People around here know to
    call me when their Dell's go belly up, usually with a hard drive going in a
    southerly direction. I almost always succeed in getting most of their data from
    the sick hard drive, which I why I get the call, not Dell. Then I request the
    parts from Dell. (If the hard drive in your Dell fails under warranty, the
    service money will bring a replacement drive, install it, and walk away with
    your old hard drive, which may well have recoverable data on it. HPaq is the
    same. I haven't had an IBM tech service person show up yet, just IBM spare
    parts obtained under warranty, very competently.)

    One time, the Dell script monkey in India insisted on scheduling a service call,
    even tho I said I would replace the part myself. Dealing with Dell's service
    contractor (the experience was awful, so I've conveniently forgotten the name,
    but I'll wake up at 4am in a cold sweat and remember) was useless, 'cause they
    would not committ to a date and either AM or PM. How in hell can I sit around
    waiting for a Dell tech monkey to show up, when I have to go fix clients'
    computers myself? Finally, I called Dell back, got to a native speaker of
    English with a few smarts, got the part dispatched, and got the service call
    cancelled, sort of. The service company called wanting to know when they could
    come out. I politely told them to piss off. My client had to wait an extra
    week for a completely working computer due to Dell's blundering.

    Most of my other experiences with Dell for spare parts have been quite positive,
    but you always remember the horror shows. The moral of the story is to request
    the parts yourself from Dell, and return the failed part to them, which is part
    of the routine for service under warranty.

    The real plus about both Dell and Lenovo/IBM computers is that you can download
    complete service manuals for just about every computer going back to January 1,
    1980, the birthdate of DOS 1.0 according to the gospel of William... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 31, 2005
  9. metronid

    Elector Guest

    <snip>>
    The real plus about both Dell and Lenovo/IBM computers is that you
    can download
    > complete service manuals for just about every computer going back to
    > January 1,
    > 1980, the birthdate of DOS 1.0 according to the gospel of William...
    > Ben Myers

    On the IBM/Lenovo I will say you are absolutely correct. Purchased 4
    IBM G-41 Laptops and they are running perfectly. Have automatic
    updates via their software installer program. And actually keep you up
    to date on drivers and BIOS updates and the like. Much superior to
    the old HP Laptop I used.

    Elector

    Elector, Jan 1, 2006
  10. metronid

    mc Guest

    So I'm curious, where are the original Packard Bell group of people that
    came from IBM???
    mc

    mc, Jan 7, 2006
  11. metronid

    Elector Guest

    "mc" <> wrote in message
    > So I'm curious, where are the original Packard Bell group of people
    > that came from IBM???
    > mc

    Not from IBM. This group was started in the early 90's and the
    original owner of the group said farewell around the time that Ben,
    Desperado, myself and many others picked up his banner to try and
    assist. Of this group Ben, Metronid, Anthony, Velix, Simon,KC, and
    myself occasionally post here.

    Elector

    Elector, Jan 12, 2006