    response. There is no blue screen and no error dialog. The system simply
    freezes.

    What kinds of hardware errors might cause this? Probably a bad CPU?

    W, Jun 6, 2012

  2. W

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:50:19 AM UTC-4, W wrote:
    > I have a Dell Precision 380 which has worked with Windows XP for years.
    > Recently, the system just hangs during a login to XP. Ctrl-Alt-Del getsno
    > response. There is no blue screen and no error dialog. The system simply
    > freezes.
    >
    > What kinds of hardware errors might cause this? Probably a bad CPU?
    >
    > --

    Most likely causes from what I've seen for years:

    1. Failing hard drive
    2. Failing hard drive
    3. Failing hard drive
    4. Overheating, caused by a clutter of dust and dirt inside the system
    5. Software that has gotten completely hosed
    6. Motherboard failing, due to bad capacitors, or, perhaps, too much heat

    Really and truly, deterioration of the surfaces of hard drive platters is the most likely cause.

    Bad CPU and bad memory are near the bottom off the list, almost off the bottom.

    Test the hardware. Download and run hard drive diagostics that do not require a running Windows environment. All name brand mfrs except Toshiba (only laptop drives, anyway) have diagnostics free for the downloading. MEMTEST-86+ tests the system memory and also the motherboard circuitry.

    Does the system boot into safe mode?

    If the hard drive and other hardware appear to be good, do a Windows repairinstall. Don't mess with the software untill you know that the hardware is 100% OK. Otherwise, to quote an old Slavic proverb, you'll be peeing in your own soup... Ben

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 6, 2012