Dell SC600: HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B, is this CD-Writer?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by John J. Burness, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. John Smith wrote:

    > I bought an almost Dell SC600 PowerEdge Celeron 1.8Ghz 2 ATA133 HDD at
    > primary (M$ W2K preloaded) and blank secondary drive, the third drive
    > 'HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B'. Is this 'HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B' a
    > CD-Writer/DVD or plain CD-ROM?

    I believe it is plain CD-ROM!! Try this link:-
    http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/storage/8n275/en/intro.htm

    HTH

    REGARDS,
    John

    John Smith, Dec 11, 2003

  3. John J. Burness

    John Smith Guest

    Thanks. So then I'm gonna shop for a black CD-writer for this, or may be
    even DVD/DVD-R+/CD-RW so it can be used for the fileserver backup. Any
    recommendation? It gonna be running Linux, Samba, Veritas, etc...

    John Smith, Dec 12, 2003
  4. John J. Burness

    Dave Guest

    You can get Plextor, Sony and Pioneer OEM DVD burners in black. Check out
    www.newegg.com. OEM versions are cheaper than retail but don't have the
    software or cables included.

    Dave, Dec 12, 2003
  5. John J. Burness

    John Smith Guest

    OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W for my Dell PowerEdge SC600

    I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work with
    Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand? Also I'd like to get
    genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    John Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Re: OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W for my Dell PowerEdge SC600

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:42:58 -0800, "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    >expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work with
    >Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand? Also I'd like to get
    >genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    Genetic RAM ..is that something new ??????

    <grin>

    Big Bob Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  7. John J. Burness

    WSZsr Guest

    Re: OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W for my Dell PowerEdge SC600

    I need some of that. I can't always remember where I live....

    WSZsr, Dec 13, 2003
  8. John J. Burness

    mjt Guest

    Re: OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W for my Dell PowerEdge SC600

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:42:58 -0800, "John Smith" <> wrote:

    > I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    > expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work with
    > Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand? Also I'd like to get
    > genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    .... well, recommendations can be made, but if we dont know
    what "expensive" is, then we will make a rwong recommendation.

    as far as genetic, er, generic RAM, i think any would do,
    as long as it works in your box

    If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?

    mjt, Dec 13, 2003
  9. Re: OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W for my Dell PowerEdge SC600

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]

    Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
    conventions.

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:42:58 -0800, John Smith staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> You can get Plextor, Sony and Pioneer OEM DVD burners in black. Check
    >> out www.newegg.com. OEM versions are cheaper than retail but don't
    >> have the software or cables included.

    > I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    > expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work
    > with Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand?

    Any IDE or SCSI DVD-+R(W) or CD-R(W) will work with any Linux when
    properly set up. http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD RW/ for
    directions on DVD+R. Plextor drives are top-notch for reliability.

    > Also I'd like to get genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    Genetic 512M RAM? ...well, storage capacity of the human brain is at
    least that, but the interfaces are nonstandard and pretty low-speed.
    You'd have better luck with generic RAM.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

    Dances With Crows, Dec 13, 2003
  10. John J. Burness

    Tom Almy Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    > expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work with
    > Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand? Also I'd like to get
    > genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    Watch out with Generic RAM. My understanding is that the chipset in the
    SC600 is fairly particular with what you put in. I'd suggest you do a
    search on the Dell user forums (forums.us.dell.com) and see what other
    owners have done.

    Tom Almy, Dec 13, 2003
  11. John J. Burness

    Dave Brown Guest

    In article <>, Tom Almy wrote:
    > John Smith wrote:
    >> I went to www.dell.com site, their CD-R/W drive and memory are very
    >> expensive. I'd like to get a OEM DVD-R+/CD-R/W that will also work with
    >> Linux Red Hat. Any suggested specific OEM brand? Also I'd like to get
    >> genetic 512MB RAM, too.

    > Watch out with Generic RAM. My understanding is that the chipset in the
    > SC600 is fairly particular with what you put in. I'd suggest you do a
    > search on the Dell user forums (forums.us.dell.com) and see what other
    > owners have done.

    I have to agree. I'd go to a memory maker like Kingston, and check out
    the part number they recommend for your particular machine. Then you can
    see how many other systems can use that same part number, and get an idea
    how "generic" it can be. I also ran into a motherboard that could not see
    half the memory on a single-sided DIMM which I purchased locally. I
    contacted Kingston, and they exchanged it with a double-sided DIMM.

    As far as DVD writers, when I was buying, LITEON was highly rated. They
    sell under a number of different brands, as well as their own... You can
    spot them by observing the faceplate (as well as the drive ID when you
    boot up after installation).

    --
    Dave Brown Austin, TX

    Dave Brown, Dec 14, 2003