    or keep the existing one? Anything else I should look out for?
    Thanks for all info,
    PC
    Peter Cavan, Sep 21, 2003

  2. The power supply should fit a standard case, but you face the challenge of
    determining which pins serve which functions on the front panel, since the
    connectors on an aftermarket case will not be an exact fit for the
    single-block Dell connector.

    You will also need to fit a new I/O panel in the rear of the case, since
    that too is not a standard item.

    "Peter Cavan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a Dell 8300 and I was thinking of putting it into a new case. What

    > wanted to know was, can everything just be moved from case to another? For
    > example, is the PSU in a Dell the normal size? Could the connectors for

    USB
    > etc on the front of the case be reused? Would it be better to get a new

    PSU

    Edward J. Neth, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Peter Cavan wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a Dell 8300 and I was thinking of putting it into a new case. What I
    > wanted to know was, can everything just be moved from case to another? For
    > example, is the PSU in a Dell the normal size? Could the connectors for USB
    > etc on the front of the case be reused? Would it be better to get a new PSU
    > or keep the existing one? Anything else I should look out for?
    > Thanks for all info,
    > PC

    Sounds like alot of work for nothing...

    Why?

    Larry
    Lawrence Glasser, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Peter Cavan

    Happy Hippo Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:59:09 GMT, Lawrence Glasser
    <> wrote:

    >Peter Cavan wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >> I have a Dell 8300 and I was thinking of putting it into a new case. What I
    >> wanted to know was, can everything just be moved from case to another? For
    >> example, is the PSU in a Dell the normal size? Could the connectors for USB
    >> etc on the front of the case be reused? Would it be better to get a new PSU
    >> or keep the existing one? Anything else I should look out for?
    >> Thanks for all info,
    >> PC

    >Sounds like alot of work for nothing...
    >
    >Why?
    >
    >Larry

    So his friends don't recognize him as dell dude...

    No, seriously, you could sell the machine and put a new one together,
    saving yourself the hassle.
    Happy Hippo, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Peter Cavan

    rtwhite Guest

    PC,
    If I were you, I would sell the Dell 8300 on Ebay and
    buy a computer with the case of my preference.
    Otherwise, you're trying to buy a Toyota and replace
    it's engine, transmission and seats with Ford OEM items.
    RTW

    rtwhite, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Peter Cavan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Hi
    > I have a Dell 8300 and I was thinking of putting it into a new case. What

    > wanted to know was, can everything just be moved from case to another? For
    > example, is the PSU in a Dell the normal size? Could the connectors for

    USB
    > etc on the front of the case be reused? Would it be better to get a new

    PSU
    > or keep the existing one? Anything else I should look out for?
    > Thanks for all info,

    Be warned: Dell have been known to use non-standard wiring on the ATX
    connector to the motherboard!!

    The plug and socket are exactly the same as standard but the wires are in a
    different place. This of course won't be a problem if you continue to use
    your existing PSU or another (overpriced) Dell one.

    Dell do this to tie you into getting Dell only replacement parts when
    needed. Heard the expresion Dell-hell? It's where you find yourself when you
    want to upgrade/modify a Dell system.

    (The amount of times I've had to post this info I should really keep it in a
    text file to save re-typing it all the time)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2003
  7. Peter Cavan

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have a Dell 8300 and I was thinking of putting it into a new case. What I
    >wanted to know was, can everything just be moved from case to another? For
    >example, is the PSU in a Dell the normal size? Could the connectors for USB
    >etc on the front of the case be reused? Would it be better to get a new PSU
    >or keep the existing one? Anything else I should look out for?
    >Thanks for all info,
    >PC

    In general, yes it can be moved.

    However, as another poster(s) have mentioned, you'll have to look at
    items like the power supply, rear I/O shield. If the system uses a
    rear I/O shield that's standard sized, removable, like this:
    http://www.waterwheel.com/images/r0300037.jpg ,
    NOT stamped into the rear wall of the chassis metal, then it's easy
    enough to reuse it in the new case if necessary. I just went to
    Dell's website and saw a picture of the case rear that "appears" as
    though it does not have a removable I/O shield, but it's hard to tell
    from the picture, that might be wrong. It does "look" like it has a
    standard power supply (this is just from that one picture, you need to
    measure yours to verify is it the same).

    As for the power supply, this info is easily available, just measure
    yours and compare them, both the dimensions and the rear (screw)
    mounting to the case. Here's a guide:
    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/dimensions/index.htm

    If the Dell board has a standard 2 X 5 or 2 X 4 USB header(s) then
    it's easy enough to match up the front USB plug from another case.
    There's only two popular configurations, just match up the colors:
    Red +5
    Green Data +
    White Data -
    Black Ground

    If the old or new case doesn't match this color scheme then more
    investigation may be needed, but it's certainly doable "one way or the
    other".

    The case front-panel functions, LEDs, power switch, etc, are probably
    all part of a single connector block in the Dell case, while they'll
    be individual plugs in a new case. Consult your motherboard manual
    for the pin locations and polarity for each function, or trace the
    wires back, see which goes where.

    Get a new power supply if you need one... unless the Dell PSU won't
    work, or you expect it be insufficient capacity in the future, you
    might as well reuse it. On the other hand, if you do think you'll
    someday need a larger power supply for this system, you might as well
    buy a case with the power supply bundled with, as it's usually a bit
    cheaper.

    You still haven't mentioned exactly what you hope to gain with a new
    case.. you might be as well off modifying that one if you have the
    tools and time to do it.

    Dave
    kony, Sep 22, 2003
  8. you gave me pretty much the same advice on the dell group. Thanks , it was a
    big help. I am building using a new monarch case (60$) and msi
    motherboard.until the board died it was twice the pc this 4500 is, and it
    was a lot easier that trying to reuse the dell components.

    David MacLeod, Sep 22, 2003