    Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
    software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
    used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    To answer my own question, here's where to get the Sonic DLA patch for Vista:

    http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe

    .... Ben

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Ben Myers

    journey Guest

    <> wrote:

    >It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
    >software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
    >used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

    I am also getting this error on my new Inspiron 640m with Vista
    Business. If I find a solution before someone else does I'll post it.
    Fortunately I seldom use DLA, and I am actually grateful, as a Vista
    early adopter, that I don't have 20 dialog boxes popping up. I have
    had very few glitches with Vista, and my "base load" of software is
    working very smoothly (oh oh, I've cursed myself now...).
    journey, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Ben Myers

    Ray Guest

    I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
    KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
    Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
    advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
    that you suggest, a permanent resolution?

    Ray

    Ray, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not sure. The URL was posted on Dell's own Vista newsgroup... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 1, 2007
  6. Ben Myers

    journey Guest

    <> wrote:

    >A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
    >Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
    >that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
    >
    >Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
    >shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
    >Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
    >software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
    >used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

    For those that don't want DLA, an uninstall / reinstall from the disk
    that comes with the PC works fine. To not install DLA, just don't
    reinstall drag to disk.

    I never use drag to disk, and DLA has caused problems for me in the
    past so this is an acceptable workaround. You can also choose not to
    reinstall MyDVD if you don't use that.
    journey, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Ben Myers

    journey Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I had a similar problem and was advised by Roxio to remove Microsoft update
    >KB929427 as a work-around. This is an update to the "Windows Vista
    >Application Compatibility" program that runs at boot up. Roxio further
    >advised that they were working on a resolution to the issue. Is the patch
    >that you suggest, a permanent resolution?
    >
    >Ray

    Here is a link to the Dell support page explaining the fix:

    http://tinyurl.com/2xgfkj
    journey, Mar 1, 2007
  8. journey wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:38:32 -0500, Ben Myers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now Windows
    >> Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is incompatible withVista and
    >> that she has to get an update, which, of course, is unavailable from Dell.
    >>
    >> Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record Now
    >> shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that will work with
    >> Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle incompatible versions of
    >> software with computers running Vista. It looks like the high quality work he
    >> used to do back in his dorm room is really slipping... Ben Myers

    > For those that don't want DLA, an uninstall / reinstall from the disk
    > that comes with the PC works fine. To not install DLA, just don't
    > reinstall drag to disk.
    >
    > I never use drag to disk, and DLA has caused problems for me in the
    > past so this is an acceptable workaround. You can also choose not to
    > reinstall MyDVD if you don't use that.

    That's my solution - I've had problems with DLA in the past, e.g.,
    SGTRAY.exe won't terminate when I do a Windows shutdown. I have a copy
    of Record Now I bought from Sonic a couple of years ago - it has no
    option on whether or not it should install DLA, so the first thing I do
    after installing Record Now is to go to Add/Remove Programs and
    uninstall DLA (it's independent of RN, which I've used for years).
    Sparky Spartacus, Mar 1, 2007
  9. Ben Myers

    Jim Lawson Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > A customer of mine bought a new Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home. Now
    > Windows Vista keeps reminding her the Sonic's DLA software is
    > incompatible withVista and that she has to get an update, which, of
    > course, is unavailable from Dell.
    >
    > Seems to me that I recall someone having trouble with the Sonic Record
    > Now shipped by Dell with Vista. Anybody know of any updates that
    > will work with Vista? It's pretty dimwitted of Michael to bundle
    > incompatible versions of software with computers running Vista. It
    > looks like the high quality work he used to do back in his dorm room
    > is really slipping... Ben Myers

    I saw the same dialog with my XPS410 and the bundled Roxio light
    software. I think it was removing the drag to disc entry in add/remove
    programs which got rid of the offending DLA software. It is sad that they
    would bundle incompatible software.

    I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero 7
    to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my experience
    with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
    a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
    need.

    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    --
    mst3k#3801 http://www.jlawson.org
    "A seminar on time travel will be held 2 weeks ago"
    Jim Lawson, Mar 3, 2007
  10. Ben Myers

    journey Guest

    On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <> wrote:

    > I've been keeping a diary of my experience
    >with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
    >a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
    >need.
    >
    >http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    My computer came lean and mean without many Dell bits. Before
    installing _any_ software or drivers I check with the provider to
    ensure that they are Vista compatible. Installing any webcam or other
    software without knowing if they are Vista compatible is bound to
    cause problems. Maybe the programs and drivers you installed were
    Vista compatible -- that wasn't clear from your blog.
    journey, Mar 3, 2007
  11. Ben Myers

    journey Guest

    On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <> wrote:

    >I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero 7
    >to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my experience
    >with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
    >a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
    >need.
    >
    >http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    I forgot to add, your blog is good and shows what a person would
    encounter using Vista as the primary or only PC. For me, it's an OK
    laptop OS because I can install my "productivity apps" just fine.
    journey, Mar 3, 2007
  12. Ben Myers

    Jim Lawson Guest

    journey wrote:

    > On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <> wrote:
    >
    >>I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero
    >>7 to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my
    >>experience with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire
    >>OS to resolve a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I
    >>didn't want or need.
    >>
    >>http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    > I forgot to add, your blog is good and shows what a person would
    > encounter using Vista as the primary or only PC. For me, it's an OK
    > laptop OS because I can install my "productivity apps" just fine.

    Thanks, I've had several friends at work ask me how the new OS and PC
    have been going and I wanted to share what I've been encountering and it
    also helped me recreate what I did when I reloaded the box a week ago.

    Jim Lawson, Mar 4, 2007
  13. Ben Myers

    Jim Lawson Guest

    journey wrote:

    > On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been keeping a diary of my experience
    >>with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to
    >>resolve a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't
    >>want or need.
    >>
    >>http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    > My computer came lean and mean without many Dell bits. Before
    > installing _any_ software or drivers I check with the provider to
    > ensure that they are Vista compatible. Installing any webcam or other
    > software without knowing if they are Vista compatible is bound to
    > cause problems. Maybe the programs and drivers you installed were
    > Vista compatible -- that wasn't clear from your blog.

    Before I went down the Nero path I did check to make sure they wew
    compatible with Vista but alot of the other app's are not as commercial or
    updated as often as Nero so I took what I could get and tried to work
    through issues that resulted.

    I signed up for notification when Yahoo's IM flavor that supports Vista is
    released and it was surprising to me that Microsoft wouldn't dtected and
    install drivers for thier own webcam and that I had to directly download
    them.

    Jim Lawson, Mar 4, 2007
  14. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    This simply shows that Microsoft did not allocate enough budget dollars to
    update its webcam software for Vista. An oversight? Or a minor product in
    their grand scheme of things? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 5, 2007
  15. Ben Myers

    Journey Guest

    On 03 Mar 2007 03:24:31 GMT, Jim Lawson <> wrote:

    >I ended up uninstalling the bundled Roxio software and installing Nero 7
    >to resolve some other issues. I've been keeping a diary of my experience
    >with Vista on my blog and have since reinstalled the entire OS to resolve
    >a problem and get rid of the bundled Dell bits that I didn't want or
    >need.
    >
    >http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-vbgL8XY7cqudqaIlm11BqaTz?p=30

    I would have gone with Nero too but I don't have a license. I did
    fork out for the whole Ez Media Creator Suite for XP, which was a
    waste of money. Nero is a cleaner solution although when I checked
    they seem to be moving towards bloatware too.

    A few more iterations of Windows and they will be assimilated.
    Journey, Mar 5, 2007