DeskPro EN

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by tiv@hotmail.com, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Just been given a DeskPro, the label says DPENS P450+/6.4/W5 UK. It is
    not fitted with a CD and appears to need a low profile model.
    Additionally the connector on the logic board marked CD appears to be
    non standard. Does this all mean that only a Compaq drive can be fitted
    to it. I've got it up and running for now by putting a SCSI card in and
    attaching and old (and slow) external drive.

    Thanks,

    Alec

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Alec,

    You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.

    The newer Compaq small form factor (SFF) DeskPros use a standard half-height
    CD-ROM drive... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:29:26 GMT, wrote:

    >Just been given a DeskPro, the label says DPENS P450+/6.4/W5 UK. It is
    >not fitted with a CD and appears to need a low profile model.
    >Additionally the connector on the logic board marked CD appears to be
    >non standard. Does this all mean that only a Compaq drive can be fitted
    >to it. I've got it up and running for now by putting a SCSI card in and
    >attaching and old (and slow) external drive.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alec

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Alec,
    >
    > You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    > a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    > CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.
    >
    > The newer Compaq small form factor (SFF) DeskPros use a standard half-height
    > CD-ROM drive... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben, I'll keep an eye on eBay just in case.

    Regards,

    Alec

  4. Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Alec,
    >
    > You are absolutely right. I'm sure somebody could conjure up the attachment of
    > a more generic CD-ROM drive from a notebook, but the most direct way to get a
    > CD-ROM drive in the chassis is to acquire the Compaq part with cable.

    By a strange coincidence I've just located and won a drive and cable of
    eBay. Is it just a matter of plugging it in or are there any settings
    that need to be changed?

    Regards,

    Alec