Desktop 4000 and Bios

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tony Williams, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. I am trying to add a new drive to a friends old desktop 4000. I tried
    hitting F10 to get to the BIOS but nothing happened. I downloaded the
    Softpaq as suggested in the FAQ posted by HH and tried to create a boot disk
    but running the program gave me a blue screen and asked me to insert a disc
    with a specific number. My friend bought the PC second-hand and there are no
    Compaq discs. Where do I go from here please?
    Why do Compaq make it so difficult to upgrade their machines????

    --
    Tony Williams

    1. Advertising

  2. Phil Gilmer

    Phil Gilmer Guest

    Tony Williams wrote:
    > I am trying to add a new drive to a friends old desktop 4000. I tried
    > hitting F10 to get to the BIOS but nothing happened. I downloaded the
    > Softpaq as suggested in the FAQ posted by HH and tried to create a boot disk
    > but running the program gave me a blue screen and asked me to insert a disc
    > with a specific number. My friend bought the PC second-hand and there are no
    > Compaq discs. Where do I go from here please?
    > Why do Compaq make it so difficult to upgrade their machines????
    >

    > --
    > Tony Williams

    No harder than many other brands. The Compaq Diagnostic partition lived
    on your old drive--that is what boots when you hit F10 at boot. You
    simply put the new drive it and boot from the diagnostic disk. One of
    the options is to manage partitions. Tell it to create a diagnostic
    partion on the hard drive. NOTE: The diagnostic partion MUST me the
    first partition defined on the drive.

    If this is too much trouble, then just boot from diskette and be done
    with it. Most folks don't need to access this info very often.

    PS: This response comes to you from a Compaq DeskPro 4000 running Red
    Hat Linux 9.0 with full access to the Compaq Diagnostic partition:

    [root@nick etc]# fdisk /dev/hda

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/hda: 3239 MB, 3239792640 bytes
    120 heads, 63 sectors/track, 837 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 7560 * 512 = 3870720 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 3 769 2899260 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 770 837 257040 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda3 1 2 7528+ 12 Compaq diagnostics

    Partition table entries are not in disk order

    Command (m for help):

    --
    Phil Gilmer
    pgilmer@attglobalDOTnet