Desktop background image does not display correctly

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Greg_R, Mar 17, 2009.

  1. Greg_R

    Greg_R Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Dell Latitude XT tablet running WinXP Tablet PC edition.
    I've just recently installed IE8 and also updated Windows Live Essentials.
    Upon completion of the new installs, I've found that my desktop wallpaper
    images won't centre properly on the screen when I'm in tablet mode
    (800x1280). In addition, commands to stretch, centre, or tile the image does
    nothing in tablet mode. The image (and all modifying commands) works fine
    when I'm in laptop mode (1280x800).

    Can anyone help me? It's not a functional problem, but my desktop looks
    terrible now in tablet mode, and I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the
    time.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Greg

    Greg_R, Mar 17, 2009

  2. Greg_R

    Greg_R Guest

    Correction - I can't change the desktop background in laptop mode either -
    it's scaled to stretch in the horizontal aspect...

    Greg_R, Mar 17, 2009

  3. >> I use my computer is tablet mode 90% of the time. <<

    Think your best bet will be to create a desktop that matches your tablet
    aspect ratio... i.e. an image in portrait orientation sized to match the
    table screen.

    That will size correctly in tablet orientation (portrait) then the
    handling setting will determine how it displays in the landscape
    orientation...

    ....suggest using tile or center if it's unacceptable when stretched...
    might also look for an acceptable image that looks ok when distorted.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Mar 18, 2009
  4. Greg_R

    Greg_R Guest

    l'd done all of that prior to updating IE8. Thanks anyways.

    I've tracked the problem to a change made to the active desktop since I
    installed IE8. I've disabled the active desktop in the registry, and it's the
    wallpaper scaling/centering is back to normal.

    Greg_R, Mar 18, 2009
  5. Greg_R wrote:

    > l'd done all of that prior to updating IE8. Thanks anyways.
    >
    > I've tracked the problem to a change made to the active desktop since
    > I installed IE8. I've disabled the active desktop in the registry,
    > and it's the wallpaper scaling/centering is back to normal.

    Thanks for your success report.
    Good to hera that you are settled.

    Honestly speaking: I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -
    never came to understanding what it might be good for.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Mar 19, 2009
  6. >> I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -
    never came to understanding what it might be good for. <<

    In my experience, it's great for creating problems... have tried it on
    several occasions and, were the initial results were ok, there were
    always problems down the line... it's easy, however, so, suggest setting
    it up to see what's possible... i.e. you can have a current weather map
    as your desktop.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Mar 19, 2009
  7. Beverly Howard wrote:

    >>> I hardly ever used the "Active Desktip" feature -

    > never came to understanding what it might be good for. <<
    >
    > In my experience, it's great for creating problems... have tried it on
    > several occasions and, were the initial results were ok, there were
    > always problems down the line... it's easy, however, so, suggest
    > setting it up to see what's possible... i.e. you can have a current
    > weather map as your desktop.

    Might be.
    As said, I hardly ever used it and I did not even think that it was
    still available (thought it had gone with [latest] Win2k).

    For weather I'm using a Gadget <bg>.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Mar 19, 2009