Did I get what I paid for?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Hugo Roubroeks, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. You must check the cpu frequence in the bios.
    When you set this on 133 Mgh, I think the problem is gone.

    Greatings Hugo Roubroeks

    Sean Berry, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Hugo Roubroeks

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:32:49 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:

    > I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
    > yesterday.
    >
    > I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
    > kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
    > it says under "Computer":
    >
    > AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
    > 1.49 GHz
    > 1.00 GB of RAM
    >
    > So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
    > Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
    > Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
    >
    > What gives???
    > Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?
    >
    > Any help here is greatly appreciated.

    Set the FSB to 133 and then you will have a 2400+ running at 2000Mhz. Set
    the FSB to166 (assuming your board supports it) and then you will have a
    2700+ running at 2166MHz. Set it to 180, well, you get the picture.

    Wes Newell, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Hugo Roubroeks

    S.Heenan Guest

    Sean Berry wrote:
    > I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer
    > store yesterday.
    >
    > I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just
    > for kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to
    > properties it says under "Computer":
    >
    > AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
    > 1.49 GHz
    > 1.00 GB of RAM

    15 is the native multiplier of the 2400+ model. Your FSB is at 100MHz. Raise
    it to 133MHz and you'll see 2000MHz, what it should be.

    S.Heenan, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Hugo Roubroeks

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:34:11 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:32:49 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:
    >
    >> I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
    >> yesterday.
    >>

    > Set the FSB to 133 and then you will have a 2400+ running at 2000Mhz. Set
    > the FSB to166 (assuming your board supports it) and then you will have a
    > 2700+ running at 2166MHz. Set it to 180, well, you get the picture.

    I screwed up. 13x166 is the 2700+:)
    Although with a lot of luck and enough vcore, you might get 15x166
    (2500MHz), but not likely. 15x144 should be though, for the same 2166MHz.

    Wes Newell, Apr 8, 2004