    I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

    Greetings,

    Daniel
    Daniel Albuschat, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Daniel Albuschat

    Brett Kline Guest

    Daniel Albuschat wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > since a friend asked me yesterday whether to buy a Xeon or a Core 2
    > Quad and I had no clue what the difference might be, I thought I
    > should ask here.
    >
    > Is it the same CPU, labeled differently? Is there a possibility of
    > better overclock-rates with the Xeon?
    >
    > I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

    http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=60

    The processor in this review is marked "ES", Engineering Sample, which
    usually have unlocked multipliers.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sl9up
    Brett Kline, Nov 15, 2007

  3. Brett Kline schrieb:
    > Daniel Albuschat wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> since a friend asked me yesterday whether to buy a Xeon or a Core 2
    >> Quad and I had no clue what the difference might be, I thought I
    >> should ask here.
    >>
    >> Is it the same CPU, labeled differently? Is there a possibility of
    >> better overclock-rates with the Xeon?
    >>
    >> I haven't found any benchmarks or so with Xeon vs. Core 2 on the net.

    > http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=60

    Thanks for the pointer. So the bottom-line is that it's a bit cooler and
    hence can be easier overclocked, from what I've read.
    The vcore is a bit hefty at 1.51V and the full load temperature of 68°C
    unacceptable, imho.

    This setup overclocked at 3.6GHz has the same 3DMark score as my 3.0GHz
    Q6600 with a overclocked GeForce 8800 GTS. This is a bad comparison,
    though...

    Regards,

    Daniel Albuschat
    Daniel Albuschat, Nov 15, 2007