Differences between IBM thinkpad T and R series?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by michael, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. michael

    michael Guest

    Can anyone explain the significant differences between the current IBM R
    and T series Thinkpads? Aside from a slight weight difference and the
    magnesium composite cover on the T series, I'm having a hard time
    differentiating. Of course you can order them with different components
    (hard drive; cpu; screen size/res.), but you also can order an R51 and a
    T42, for example, with the same screen size/res; same hard drive
    size/spindle speed; same amt of memory; same optical drive).

    So, what are the differences? Heat dissipation (because the T series is
    thinner); some difference in I/O stuff I've missed from reading the
    documentation?; some durability differences (must be some reason why the
    T series machines weigh less); other?