    should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

    --
    Axel

    Axel, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Axel

    Chris H. Guest

    Axel, installing one language version on a different language operating
    system (in this case French on English) is not the intended install and can
    be tenuous at best. I believe there may be a registry change which "may"
    allow it, but this is something you should check with the Office experts in
    the microsoft.public.office.setup newsgroup. It may be that you would need
    the operating system MUI (Multilingual User Interface) Pack which is only
    available through volume licensing programs for this to work properly.
    Otherwise, I believe the French Office version will be addressing an
    incorrect language source structure on the English OS, and therefore, fail
    to run correctly.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Oct 31, 2005

  3. Hi Axel, a couple of my customers have this configuration. There are some
    things to consider though. The default recognizer that is selected by most
    applications will probably be English, which means dates, currency, and
    other region-specific formats will probably be in English if that is the
    region chosen in the Control Panel.

    I don't think you'll have any problems with the main functionality of either
    the OS or Office in this mixed language scenario but I don't have any
    experience personally with this type of setup. I just wanted to mention that
    on more than one occasion, customers have told me they use a mixed language
    install.

    One stands out in my mind, maybe I'll see if I can get him to jump in this
    thread.

    --
    Josh Einstein
    Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 2.0 - Try it free for 14 days

    Josh Einstein, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Axel

    Jan Wagner Guest

    Axel wrote:
    > I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought Fujitsu
    > and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
    > portable I will not use anymore.
    >
    > Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
    > English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
    > should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

    I've been using Office 2003 (Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, Publisher,
    Infopath) in German, with FrontPage 2003 in Finnish. Without any
    Office Language Interface Packs. My XP Pro Tablet Edition is
    English. No problems or issues noticed so far.

    In addition: OneNote uses the Tablet PC's handwriting recognition
    engine and thus it should be able to do French as well.

    I don't know for sure about the Office's built-in (own) handwriting
    recongition for other apps than OneNote - at least,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826851
    indicates that this handwriting recognition is not supported for
    French, German, Finnish etc Office 2003. I may be wrong though, as I
    don't have any English office version to compare and check for
    differences... Maybe someone knows the definitive answer? In any
    case, the normal tablet TIP with it's handwriting reco does work
    fine for entering text into e.g. German Word.

    regards,
    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Oct 31, 2005
  5. Axel wrote:
    > I have an English version of XP Tablet pc installed on a newly bought Fujitsu
    > and a French version of Office 2003, including OneNote 2003, from an old
    > portable I will not use anymore.
    >
    > Is there an issue installing my version of Office 2003 in French in my
    > English XP Tablet pc, notably for ink recognition and voice command ? What
    > should I do to prevent any isssue here ?

    You should not have any troubles running ANY language version of Office
    on a Windows XP machine. You won't necessarily get the best complement
    of language tools out of the box, but that can generally be rectified by
    getting the Office 2003 Proofing Tools CD.

    Mike Williams, Nov 3, 2005