Dimension 4100 won't shut down properly

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bob Pownall, Aug 12, 2006.

  1. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100 that's been upgraded to Windows XP
    Pro. (To clarify, I use it, and am responsible for it, but I don't own
    it. It's basically a shared resource in my office.)

    The problem I'm having is that it won't reboot or shut down properly.
    It gets part-way through the process and then hangs. To finish the
    reboot or shutdown process, I have to press the reboot or power button
    on the front panel. I _suspect_ it's a Windows driver issue, but that's
    just a guess. Nothing obvious, to me at least, shows up in the Windows
    Event Viewer.

    Doing a System Restore isn't an option - turns out this has been going
    on for quite some time - before I started in the office.

    This obviously isn't a show-stopper, but it is an annoyance.

    Any ideas on how to figure out what the root cause is?

    Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall, Aug 12, 2006

  2. Bob Pownall

    pen Guest

    "Bob Pownall" <> wrote in message
    > I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100 that's been upgraded to Windows XP
    > Pro. (To clarify, I use it, and am responsible for it, but I don't own
    > it. It's basically a shared resource in my office.)
    >
    > The problem I'm having is that it won't reboot or shut down properly. It
    > gets part-way through the process and then hangs. To finish the reboot or
    > shutdown process, I have to press the reboot or power button on the front
    > panel. I _suspect_ it's a Windows driver issue, but that's just a guess.
    > Nothing obvious, to me at least, shows up in the Windows Event Viewer.
    >
    > Doing a System Restore isn't an option - turns out this has been going on
    > for quite some time - before I started in the office.
    >
    > This obviously isn't a show-stopper, but it is an annoyance.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to figure out what the root cause is?
    >
    > Bob Pownall

    Since this is an old problem this may apply.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

    pen, Aug 12, 2006

  3. Bob Pownall

    S.Lewis Guest

    > I've got an old Dell Dimension 4100 that's been upgraded to Windows XP
    > Pro. (To clarify, I use it, and am responsible for it, but I don't own
    > it. It's basically a shared resource in my office.)
    >
    > The problem I'm having is that it won't reboot or shut down properly. It
    > gets part-way through the process and then hangs. To finish the reboot or
    > shutdown process, I have to press the reboot or power button on the front
    > panel. I _suspect_ it's a Windows driver issue, but that's just a guess.
    > Nothing obvious, to me at least, shows up in the Windows Event Viewer.
    >
    > Doing a System Restore isn't an option - turns out this has been going on
    > for quite some time - before I started in the office.
    >
    > This obviously isn't a show-stopper, but it is an annoyance.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to figure out what the root cause is?
    >
    > Bob Pownall

    Some program (firewall/anti-virus) or device (printer/network connection,
    etc) is likely trying to write to Windows and hanging it up would be my
    initial guess.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 13, 2006