    So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
    second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550 with
    only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Pat Conover

    Yeff Guest

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:19:38 -0500, Pat Conover wrote:

    > So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
    > second memory slot on the MB going bad.

    Put the 256 in slot 1 and see if it boots.

    --

    -Jeff B.
    zoomie at fastmail dot fm

    Yeff, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Pat Conover

    Pen Guest

    "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in
    message news:...
    >I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my
    >computer shut down after the UPS ran out of power. When I
    >went to start up this morning, I got three POST beeps and
    >Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear diagnostics LEDS. The
    >lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
    >
    > So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the
    > original 256MB from Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB
    > Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB in slot 1. Booted
    > fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I
    > then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same
    > error beeps and diagnostics.
    >
    > So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something
    > worse like the second memory slot on the MB going bad. I
    > am typing this on the 4550 with only the 512MB Crucial
    > memory. Thanks Pat

    If you reverse the memory sticks all your questions will be
    answered.

    Pen, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Pat Conover

    S.Lewis Guest

    >I had a power outage yesterday when I wasn't home and my computer shut down
    >after the UPS ran out of power. When I went to start up this morning, I
    >got three POST beeps and Green Yellow Green Yellow on the rear diagnostics
    >LEDS. The lookup says memory error, reseat the memory.
    >
    > So I reseated both dims a 512MB from Crucial and the original 256MB from
    > Dell. No luck. I pulled the 256MB Dell stick and left the Crucial 512MB
    > in slot 1. Booted fine, no errors, just memory configuration changed. I
    > then put the Dell 256MB back in slot 1 and got the same error beeps and
    > diagnostics.
    >
    > So, do you think the 256MB from Dell is bad or something worse like the
    > second memory slot on the MB going bad. I am typing this on the 4550 with
    > only the 512MB Crucial memory. Thanks Pat

    Try the sticks individually in each socket. Problem will point to a DIMM or
    a socket.

    That is all.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I did swap the 512 and 256 in slot 1. The 512
    works, the 256 OEM does not. I don't have another stick of ram here now to
    test the second slot, but it appears the 256 OEM stick is bad. I am hoping
    the second slot is okay and wasn't damaged somehow. But, that will have to
    wait until I get another stick to test it. Merry Christmas, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 8, 2005
  6. refering to the two memory sockets on the motherboard as slot 0 and slot
    1...
    you may use a single stick of ram in your system and it may be installed in
    either slot 0 or slot 1.
    so, if you know the 512mb stick works then try it in the other slot to
    determine if the socket is ok.
    then remove the 512mb and do the same two tests with the 256mb stick only.
    it would be interesting to know what you find out.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2005
  7. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed with
    slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was going
    to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I might just
    get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 8, 2005
  8. or spend $0 and leave it with just 512mb ;)

    1/2, 0/1 are just different nomenclature for the same thing... i just
    thought the thread was getting confusing so wanted to be as clear as
    possible..

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Pat Conover

    S.Lewis Guest

    > Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed with
    > slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was going
    > to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I might just
    > get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat

    Referencing Chris' comments, I wouldn't buy anything until I could prove the
    good DIMM works in *both* sockets. If a socket is bad, then a new DIMM will
    simply be money wasted........

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Pat Conover

    Tom Scales Guest

    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed
    >> with slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was
    >> going to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I
    >> might just get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat
    >>

    > Referencing Chris' comments, I wouldn't buy anything until I could prove
    > the good DIMM works in *both* sockets. If a socket is bad, then a new
    > DIMM will simply be money wasted........
    >

    > Stew

    I have to say though that for the average user, 512mb is enough.

    Tom Scales, Dec 8, 2005
  11. "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Chris, Will do later today and post back. Got the slot 0 and 1 mixed
    >> with slot 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if it would work in either slot. I was
    >> going to call Dell for a new Dimm, but at $20 for a 256 on Crucial, I
    >> might just get another 512 and max it out for about $60. Thanks, Pat
    >>

    > Referencing Chris' comments, I wouldn't buy anything until I could prove
    > the good DIMM works in *both* sockets. If a socket is bad, then a new
    > DIMM will simply be money wasted........
    >

    > Stew

    stew, a very good point. you always make great observations.

    Christopher Muto, Dec 8, 2005
  12. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Thanks for the observations. I will swap the memory Saturday morning and
    post back. My UPS was failing and I had to pickup a new one and move all of
    those @$)(&# wires! Now have an APC 1250 VA UPS with Power Chute to
    shutdown prior to losing power. Thanks, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 9, 2005
  13. UPS Was - Re: Dimension 4550 Bad Memory or Motherboard?

    Have you checked if it is just the batteries or the UPS electronics?
    The military used to fix UPS battery issues by replacing the whole unit. We
    used to buy the dead ones at about a buck a piece and just replace the
    batteries at half the cost of a new unit. We then had an ups for every key
    data device in the company, including all client site hard ware. Cheaper
    and easier than having to go out and reset stuff just because some one
    tripped a circuit breaker or there was a power interruption for a few
    seconds. Also was nice that we could operate in the dark and simply shut
    down hardware without losing data when the electricity went out.

    Kevin Childers, Dec 11, 2005
  14. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Re: UPS Was - Re: Dimension 4550 Bad Memory or Motherboard?

    Kevin, Thanks for the remarks. The cost of a new APC battery as compared to
    a new UPS wasn't enough of a difference for me. The old UPS Power Chute
    software used a serial port if I remember correctly and mine is already in
    use. So the new USB connection was welcomed, together with the higher volts
    and watts. Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 15, 2005
  15. Pat Conover

    Pat Conover Guest

    Re: UPS Was - Re: Dimension 4550 Bad Memory or Motherboard?

    I started another thread on this, since it was getting old.

    To those that responded an update, I posted a while back about my OEM 256MB
    Dimm not working in either slot 0 or 1, but my 512MB Crucial module working
    in slot 0. I finally got around to trying it in slot 1 too and it works, so
    I assume my Motherboard is okay and the Dell OEM (a Micron
    Technology/Crucial) module is bad.

    A couple of emails to Dell for a replacement and a new dimm is on the way.
    I did notice a marked slow down in performance, especially when printing
    large files and multi-tasking. Thanks to those that responded and Have a
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Pat

    Pat Conover, Dec 21, 2005