    or a place to store files etc.,? (So that if I took the second drive out
    later, the system would still run).

    Thanks.
    J, Nov 20, 2010

  2. J

    J Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message
    news:IzSFo.183544$2...

    > Just bought a second-hand Dimension 5100 with a P4 HT and 250GB sata and
    > 1GB Ram. How can I make this fast enough to play games like Quake 6,
    > Crysis etc? The machine has 2 PCI slots and a PCI Express 16-bit slot.
    > What's the other (very small) slot and what's it used for? (A PCI x1...'I
    > think it's called).
    > Can I add an extra hard drive so I can have 'TWO' hard drives as
    > 'seperate' drives, so one is independent of the other, like having one as
    > backup drive or a place to store files etc.,? (So that if I took the
    > second drive out later, the system would still run).
    >
    > Thanks.

    More questions ;)

    This machine has 2 x SATA connectors for hard drives, and connectors for two
    optical drives as well. Is it possible to use one of the optical drive
    connectors to install and run an 'old' ATA hard drive? (Parrallel ATA).

    Cheers.

    J, Nov 20, 2010

  3. J

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 11/20/2010 11:41 AM, J wrote:
    > "J"<> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just bought a second-hand Dimension 5100 with a P4 HT and 250GB sata and
    >> 1GB Ram. How can I make this fast enough to play games like Quake 6,
    >> Crysis etc? The machine has 2 PCI slots and a PCI Express 16-bit slot.
    >> What's the other (very small) slot and what's it used for? (A PCI x1...'I
    >> think it's called).
    >> Can I add an extra hard drive so I can have 'TWO' hard drives as
    >> 'seperate' drives, so one is independent of the other, like having one as
    >> backup drive or a place to store files etc.,? (So that if I took the
    >> second drive out later, the system would still run).
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > More questions ;)
    >
    > This machine has 2 x SATA connectors for hard drives, and connectors for two
    > optical drives as well. Is it possible to use one of the optical drive
    > connectors to install and run an 'old' ATA hard drive? (Parrallel ATA).
    >
    > Cheers.

    For gaming, you want to get a very good PCI-Express graphics card and
    more memory. It's possible to use an older ATA hard drive, but not
    advisable. You can set up a second drive as a data-only drive, which is
    what I have done with this system. Just get another SATA drive. They
    are very inexpensive... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Nov 20, 2010
  4. J

    J Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in message
    > "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >> J wrote:

    >>> More questions ;)
    >>>
    >>> This machine has 2 x SATA connectors for hard drives, and connectors for
    >>> two
    >>> optical drives as well. Is it possible to use one of the optical drive
    >>> connectors to install and run an 'old' ATA hard drive? (Parrallel ATA).
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> For gaming, you want to get a very good PCI-Express graphics card and
    >> more memory. It's possible to use an older ATA hard drive, but not
    >> advisable. You can set up a second drive as a data-only drive, which is
    >> what I have done with this system. Just get another SATA drive. They
    >> are very inexpensive... Ben Myers

    > On the graphics card, keep in mind the capacity of the power supply,
    > which is 305watts. See the service manual:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5100/en/sm/specs1.htm#wp1097152
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Thanks guys.

    J, Nov 21, 2010