Dimension 8100 Parts Available

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
    Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
    variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.

    Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.

    I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
    whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. I have not tested the system
    here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
    I can do so.

    Items of interest might be:
    power supply
    motherboard
    rear cooling fan
    other?

    Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. You have to pay
    exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.

    Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
    Optiplex GX400. Different external appearance, but same layout and form
    factors inside.

    If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
    will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 22, 2010

  2. Ben Myers

    Guest

    On Dec 22, 2:19 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
    > Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
    > variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.
    >
    > Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.
    >
    > I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
    > whole Dimension 8100 at this late date.  I have not tested the system
    > here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
    > I can do so.
    >
    > Items of interest might be:
    > power supply
    > motherboard
    > rear cooling fan
    > other?
    >
    > Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts.  You have to pay
    > exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.
    >
    > Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
    > Optiplex GX400.  Different external appearance, but same layout and form
    > factors inside.
    >
    > If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
    > will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

    What is the operating system? Larry

    , Dec 23, 2010

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/22/2010 8:21 PM, wrote:
    > On Dec 22, 2:19 pm, Ben Myers<> wrote:
    >> Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
    >> Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
    >> variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.
    >>
    >> Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order.
    >>
    >> I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
    >> whole Dimension 8100 at this late date. I have not tested the system
    >> here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
    >> I can do so.
    >>
    >> Items of interest might be:
    >> power supply
    >> motherboard
    >> rear cooling fan
    >> other?
    >>
    >> Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts. You have to pay
    >> exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.
    >>
    >> Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
    >> Optiplex GX400. Different external appearance, but same layout and form
    >> factors inside.
    >>
    >> If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
    >> will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

    > What is the operating system? Larry

    The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
    know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
    has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
    physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 23, 2010
  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/23/2010 9:47 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 12/23/2010 1:26 AM, Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> What is the operating system? Larry

    >> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not know,
    >> because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it has a
    >> Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the physical
    >> condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    > since it does not have a hard drive i think it is pretty safe to assume
    > that it does not have an operating system ;)

    You're sure about that? I wasn't! Happy holidays! ... Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 23, 2010
  5. Ben Myers

    Guest

    On Dec 22, 11:26 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 12/22/2010 8:21 PM, wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 22, 2:19 pm, Ben Myers<>  wrote:
    > >> Some time ago, I saw a message posted here by someone looking for a
    > >> Dimension 8100 power supply, a custom affair, not your standard garden
    > >> variety ATX or ATX12v power supply.

    > >> Today, a Dimension 8100 showed up here, claimed to be in working order..

    > >> I do not think anyone would be interested in paying for shipping of a
    > >> whole Dimension 8100 at this late date.  I have not tested the system
    > >> here myself, but if there is interest in various parts and attachments,
    > >> I can do so.

    > >> Items of interest might be:
    > >> power supply
    > >> motherboard
    > >> rear cooling fan
    > >> other?

    > >> Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts.  You have to pay
    > >> exact cost shipping plus a few bucks for my time.

    > >> Also, these parts all interchange with the Precision 330 and the
    > >> Optiplex GX400.  Different external appearance, but same layout and form
    > >> factors inside.

    > >> If nobody is interested by the time the new year arrives, the system
    > >> will be torn down completely for electronic scrap... Ben Myers

    > > What is the operating system?   Larry

    > The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory.  Beyond that, I do not
    > know, because I have not fired it up yet.  It has no hard drive and it
    > has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side.  Overall, I'd say that the
    > physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    I am looking for a win98 system...

    , Dec 24, 2010
  6. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/23/2010 10:30 PM, wrote:
    > On Dec 22, 11:26 pm, Ben Myers<> wrote:

    >>> What is the operating system? Larry

    >> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
    >> know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
    >> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
    >> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    > I am looking for a win98 system...

    Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
    hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license. Cash and carry with the
    emphasis on carry. As in "You carry". The damned thing is heavy. Not
    much cash and a lot of carry. Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
    Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
    with the much later 845 chipset. (Two or three years ago, my most
    trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
    Windows NT 4.0 server. I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
    all the necessary drivers. It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
    one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
    of the world. Yes, Windows 98 was that good. We all forget!) ... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 24, 2010
  7. Ben Myers

    Guest

    On Dec 24, 10:05 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 12/23/2010 10:30 PM, wrote:

    > >> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory.  Beyond that, I do not
    > >> know, because I have not fired it up yet.  It has no hard drive and it
    > >> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side.  Overall, I'd say that the
    > >> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    > > I am looking for a win98 system...

    > Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
    > hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license.  Cash and carry with the
    > emphasis on carry.  As in "You carry".  The damned thing is heavy.  Not
    > much cash and a lot of carry.  Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
    > Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
    > with the much later 845 chipset.  (Two or three years ago, my most
    > trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
    > Windows NT 4.0 server.  I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
    > all the necessary drivers.  It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
    > one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
    > of the world.  Yes, Windows 98 was that good.  We all forget!)  ...Ben
    > Myers

    I am at 81101, Alamosa CO...Larry

    , Dec 24, 2010
  8. Ben Myers

    Moldy Cheese Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:30:54 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 22, 11:26 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:

    >> > What is the operating system?   Larry

    >> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory.  Beyond that, I do not
    >> know, because I have not fired it up yet.  It has no hard drive and it
    >> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side.  Overall, I'd say that the
    >> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    >I am looking for a win98 system...

    Why?

    Moldy Cheese, Dec 24, 2010
  9. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/24/2010 12:28 PM, wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 10:05 am, Ben Myers<> wrote:

    >>> I am looking for a win98 system...

    >> Well, if you live not too far from ZIP 01451, I can scare up a 40-60GB
    >> hard drive and a legit Windows 98 license. Cash and carry with the
    >> emphasis on carry. As in "You carry". The damned thing is heavy. Not
    >> much cash and a lot of carry. Win 98 drivers should be no problem for a
    >> Dimension 8100 as Intel and friends stopped producing Win 98 drivers
    >> with the much later 845 chipset. (Two or three years ago, my most
    >> trailing edge client needed yet another Windows 98 system to go with his
    >> Windows NT 4.0 server. I obliged by setting up a Dimension 2400 with
    >> all the necessary drivers. It ran not like a Swiss watch, but more like
    >> one of those cheap watches you get from street vendors in major cities
    >> of the world. Yes, Windows 98 was that good. We all forget!) ... Ben
    >> Myers

    > I am at 81101, Alamosa CO...Larry

    Cost of shipping there would be more than the system is worth. UPS has
    really jacked up its ground shipping rates for one-off shipments,
    compared to the high volume shippers... Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 24, 2010
  10. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/24/2010 2:33 PM, Moldy Cheese wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:30:54 -0800 (PST), ""
    > <> wrote:

    >>> The system has 2x256MB 800-45 RAMBUS memory. Beyond that, I do not
    >>> know, because I have not fired it up yet. It has no hard drive and it
    >>> has a Windows 2000 sticker on the side. Overall, I'd say that the
    >>> physical condition of the chassis is very good... Ben

    >> I am looking for a win98 system...

    > Why?

    Some people like to collect curiousities. I know people who collect old
    Packard Bell systems, striving to have one of a kind of everything.
    Whatever floats your boat. He could be looking for a Windows ME system.
    ME was the worst Microsoft operating system until Vista came along...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 25, 2010
  11. Ben Myers

    Guest

    On Dec 24, 10:48 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 12/24/2010 2:33 PM, Moldy Cheese wrote:
    >

    > > On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:30:54 -0800 (PST), ""
    > > <>  wrote:

    > >> I am looking for a win98 system...

    > > Why?

    > Some people like to collect curiousities.  I know people who collect old
    > Packard Bell systems, striving to have one of a kind of everything.
    > Whatever floats your boat.  He could be looking for a Windows ME system..
    >   ME was the worst Microsoft operating system until Vista came along...
    > Ben Myers

    I used win98 for a DOS based game that I enjoy playing, mainly because
    it is easy to cheat at. I had been using a win98 desktop that I
    assembled using a gigabyte motherboard. When we moved to a higher
    elevation in Colorado, the capacitors on the gigabyte board burst
    causing the mother board to fail. I purchased a used Dell Dimension
    XPS from a local Dell service outlet and used it for a year until the
    motherboard went bad on it. Regretfully I tossed the Dell desktop
    instead of looking for a replacement motherboard. Those Dell
    Dimensions were good machines.

    Right now I am running the game on a really old Dell Latitude CPi
    laptop.

    BTW, I am running Vista on a Dell XPS M1530 and while it has a few
    annoying habits, I don't really mind it overall.

    Larry

    , Dec 25, 2010