Dimension 8300 Very Slow Cold Boot

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Marjorie Cunningham, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
    91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
    morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
    time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the power
    button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during the day if
    I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works normally,
    seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence that the hard
    disk is failing.

    I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied all
    the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none that I can
    see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and have checked
    the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service could not be
    started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use a cable modem
    with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically updated, no viruses.
    I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's updates. Yesterday I
    installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds no errors. I have
    searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and am not finding a
    solution.

    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone
    offer any help?

    Thank you very much.

    Marjie
    Marjorie Cunningham, Nov 10, 2005

  2. obviously this condition is not normal.
    what is the mahcine doing for the 10-20mins between when you power it on to
    when it finally starts windows?
    do you perhaps see the system trying to check the disk?
    the fact that you get that hpdj error sounds like you have malware on the
    machine... vist this site and do their free spyware search and removal...
    it finds things that adaware and spybot don't.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Christopher Muto, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Marjorie Cunningham

    Jay B Guest

    try posting to us your processes that are running and lets see what you
    have growing in there... it should never take that long unless you have
    a scan running or spyware.

    Jay B, Nov 11, 2005
  4. I have personally had a computer (not a Dell) that had problems similar to
    this. Taking hours to start up etc. I tried reformating computer and no
    success, ran harddrive checks with no errors etc. Ended up returning the
    computer and it was found that the motherboard was faulty. Thsi may be the
    problem if you have tried cleaning up your windows configuration without
    success.

    Regards
    Robert McMillan

    Robert McMillan, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Marjorie Cunningham

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > obviously this condition is not normal.
    > what is the mahcine doing for the 10-20mins between when you power it on
    > to when it finally starts windows?
    > do you perhaps see the system trying to check the disk?

    <snip>

    ....or is the screen stuck at either the Dell splash screen or Windows XP
    splash screen?

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Thank you all for your suggestions. I did forget to mention that I ran a
    virus scan and have no viruses, and I also ran a CHKDSK which produced the
    statement that "System has recovered from a serious error." Whatever it was
    didn't seem to make a big difference in the boot time.

    In experimenting with the startup, when I turned off the computer and turned
    it back on within a couple minutes, it booted in 1 minute, 10 seconds. Then
    I shutdown and left it off for about 15 minutes while I blew out some dust
    bunnies inside (it was not very dirty) and the boot time was 5 minutes, 10
    seconds.

    If this is a motherboard problem, I know Dell isn't going to step up on a
    two-year-old expensive computer, and I really don't have a lot of money
    right now. If I just leave the computer on and not shut if off, what's
    going to happen? Will the motherboard blow up?? (Yikes!) As I mentioned,
    so far I haven't seen a degraded service, other than the cold boot time.

    Thanks again for help.

    Marjie
    Marjorie Cunningham, Nov 11, 2005
  7. it is still unclear to me what is happening during this long delay during
    startup... if the screen is simply blank then this seems like a registry
    problem or a hard disk problem, not a motherboard problem. the disk may
    have experienced a physical problem that was minor but resulted in
    corrupting the windows system registry file. alternatively, it may be a
    problem with a usb device (or two or three...) that is connected to your
    system. try disconnecting all peripherals and see if the problem goes away.
    and/or if you can remember a time when the system last worked normaly then i
    suggest that your do a system restore to a data prior to that time. you do
    this by clicking start-allprograms-accessories-systemtools-systemrestore.
    this does not cause you to loose any data but if you have installed any
    programs since that earlier date then they will need to be restored. also
    you may find that your antivirus program needs to be reinstalled after doing
    a system restore (but it may also work just fine), so check it by doing a
    update. other than disk problems, or usb device problems, hardware problems
    are really pretty rare. if the system restore or removal of usb devices
    doesn't help to solve your problem then the next thing to do is to test the
    hard disk using diagnostics and if it passes then to a windows
    recover/reinstall...

    Christopher Muto, Nov 11, 2005
  8. I thought I would tell you how I have solved the problem, or at least it
    appears to have been solved. I finally talked to Dell Chat and after
    explaining all of the steps I'd taken, the tech suggested I reinstall
    Windows XP, plus run a Diagnostic Test on the hard drive (F12 key on Dell
    screen at bootup). I decided to do the diagnostic test first. (BTW, it
    took over five hours, just a warning!) It came up with FAIL on the Read
    Test (all other tests passed) because of two errors: Error Code 0F00:0244
    Msg. Blocks 5843157-8 Unconnectable data error or media is write protected.
    I immediately Googled this error and found every comment indicated that the
    hard disk was dying when you received this message. Whoa! This computer is
    only two years old and I would be devastated!

    I went back to Dell Chat, described the error, and the tech assured me that
    this message does NOT mean the hard disk is dying. To resolve my slow
    startup, he said I would have to reinstall Windows XP and gave directions.
    I decided to check the Microsoft database and it said that before
    reinstalling to repair XP, you should go Start, Run and type sfc /scannow
    (space between "c" and "/") and click OK. When I did this, it asked for the
    XP disk and apparently repaired some .DLLs.

    This seems to have worked because I am now booting up within one minute! If
    this solution doesn't prove to be permanent, I will reinstall Windows XP,
    but I thought y'all would like to know that so far it seems to have solved
    the slow boot.

    Thanks for all the suggestions, believe me, I used them all!

    Marjie

    Marjorie Cunningham, Nov 18, 2005
  9. Marjorie Cunningham

    Tom Scales Guest

    Marjorie,

    Don't believe Dell. The hard drive likely is dying. It happens. If
    nothing else, backup everything!

    Personally, I'd spend $40 on a new hard drive and reinstall everything and
    throw away the current hard drive.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 18, 2005
  10. Marjorie Cunningham

    Jay B Guest

    I agree with Tom.
    The error on the drive is real.
    all the SFC procedure did was restore some corrupted files. there are
    bad spots on your hard drive that you will surely stumble into again.
    It's a ticking tomb bomb!
    get a new drive that has a 3 or 5 year warranty.
    dell will only send you a refurb maxtor. sell the one they give you on
    ebay.

    Jay B, Nov 18, 2005
  11. Marjorie Cunningham

    Tom Scales Guest

    Might not be a maxtor. They've sent me WD and Seagate too.

    Tom Scales, Nov 18, 2005
  12. Marjorie Cunningham

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > Marjorie,
    >
    > Don't believe Dell. The hard drive likely is dying. It happens. If
    > nothing else, backup everything!
    >
    > Personally, I'd spend $40 on a new hard drive and reinstall everything and
    > throw away the current hard drive.
    >
    > Tom

    Yep, hard drive is on it's way out, no matter what you were told on the
    phone. A read test failure indicates drive replacement.

    I'd also buy a new blank drive, install Windows on the drive, the connect
    the old drive so that I could drop and drag needed files.

    Uhm.........wonderin what the phone 'tech' was thinking......... ?

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Nov 19, 2005
  13. Marjorie Cunningham

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > Might not be a maxtor. They've sent me WD and Seagate too.

    (Snip)

    Agree again. Dell replacement HDD will match or exceed the old drive
    capacity, but can be of any brand.....

    They've also mixed them on me as Tom said.

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Nov 19, 2005