Dimension 8400 to Inspiron 530

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bruce Varney, Mar 10, 2011.

  1. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
    drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
    the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
    be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    needed.

    To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
    but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    from the Dim 8400 drive.

    One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
    using the XP PC.

    Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

    Bruce

    Bruce Varney, Mar 10, 2011

  2. Bruce Varney

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Mar 10, 6:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <> wrote:
    > My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    > taking the motherboard with it.   Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    > CPU I was tempted to buy!   I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    > weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it.   The hard
    > drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it.   I want to install
    > the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    > the important files over from it to the main drive.   How difficult will it
    > be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    > for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    > outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    > needed.
    >
    > To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    > running Win XP SP3 .   I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7PC
    > but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    > from the Dim 8400 drive.
    >
    > One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    > of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising.   I can dothis
    > using the XP PC.
    >
    > Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Bruce

    And nobody has responded in a month.

    Here is a quick and dirty how-to.

    First, you may have to add to the file system permissions on the 8400
    drive to allow you to get everything you need from it. Best way is to
    let EVERYONE read the entire drive.
    Next, the My Documents files are a no brainer to find and copy. Just
    drag the entire My Documents folder to the drive on the new computer.
    IE Favorites are easy to find and copy. Search for Favorites. What
    else could it be. Then copy.
    Outlook is a pain in the ass, because Microsoft stupidly buries the
    Outlook files down in the bowels of the file system. Search for
    Outlook.PST and copy to the right place on the new PC's hard drive,
    and it will replace the Outlook.PST automatically created when you set
    up an account on the new computer. DO NOT read any email before
    copying Outlook.PST !!
    Not sure what other files you need, because I do not know what other
    apps you use.

    It makes little difference whether you copy files first from the 8300
    or the 8400, unless files have the same name.

    Finally, in which state, province, canton, department, county or
    prefecture are you located? If you are near Boston, I could use an
    empty 8400 chassis, which would then be filled with working parts...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 6, 2011

  3. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message

> [...]

    else could it be. Then copy.
    Outlook is a pain in the ass, because Microsoft stupidly buries the
    Outlook files down in the bowels of the file system. Search for
    Outlook.PST and copy to the right place on the new PC's hard drive,
    and it will replace the Outlook.PST automatically created when you set
    up an account on the new computer. DO NOT read any email before
    copying Outlook.PST !!
    Not sure what other files you need, because I do not know what other
    apps you use.

    It makes little difference whether you copy files first from the 8300
    or the 8400, unless files have the same name.

    Finally, in which state, province, canton, department, county or
    prefecture are you located? If you are near Boston, I could use an
    empty 8400 chassis, which would then be filled with working parts...

    Thanks for your reply Ben.

    I basically followed your how-to. As you say Outlook files were the pain
    to find especially as there are more than one email account. As far as the
    apps were concerned I did a reinstall of them.

    You are welcome to the 8400 chassis but I live about 80 miles from the other
    Boston - the one in the UK!

    Bruce Varney, Apr 6, 2011
  4. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <> wrote:
    > My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    > taking the motherboard with it.   Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    > CPU I was tempted to buy!   I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    > weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it.   The hard
    > drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it.   I want to install
    > the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    > the important files over from it to the main drive.   How difficult will it
    > be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    > for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    > outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    > needed.
    >
    > To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    > running Win XP SP3 .   I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7PC
    > but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    > from the Dim 8400 drive.
    >
    > One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    > of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising.   I can dothis
    > using the XP PC.
    >
    > Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Bruce

    Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    Bob Villa, Apr 7, 2011
  5. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <> wrote:
    >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    >> taking the motherboard with it.   Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    >> CPU I was tempted to buy!   I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it.   The hard
    >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it.   I want to install
    >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    >> the important files over from it to the main drive.   How difficult will it
    >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    >> running Win XP SP3 .   I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
    >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    >> from the Dim 8400 drive.
    >>
    >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising.   I can do this
    >> using the XP PC.
    >>
    >> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Bruce

    >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
    some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
    never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    repeat my mistake :) .

    RnR, Apr 7, 2011
  6. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Apr 7, 7:28 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <> wrote:
    > >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    > >> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6Ghz
    > >> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    > >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
    > >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
    > >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    > >> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult willit
    > >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    > >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    > >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    > >> needed.

    > >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    > >> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
    > >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    > >> from the Dim 8400 drive.

    > >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    > >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
    > >> using the XP PC.

    > >> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

    > >> Bruce

    > >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    > >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    > Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    > carry some expressions from the North.  I learned from experience that
    > some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    > Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    > tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    > remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan.  I
    > never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    > I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    > repeat my mistake :)  .

    RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
    to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
    heard)

    Bob Villa, Apr 7, 2011
  7. Bruce Varney

    Bruce Varney Guest

    "Bob Villa" wrote in message

    On Apr 7, 7:28 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney" <> wrote:
    > >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went
    > >> west
    > >> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6
    > >> Ghz
    > >> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    > >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
    > >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to
    > >> install
    > >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can
    > >> transfer
    > >> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will
    > >> it
    > >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I
    > >> look
    > >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    > >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that
    > >> are
    > >> needed.

    > >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim
    > >> 8300
    > >> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7
    > >> PC
    > >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the
    > >> transfer
    > >> from the Dim 8400 drive.

    > >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a
    > >> clone
    > >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do
    > >> this
    > >> using the XP PC.

    > >> Any help & pointers will be much appreciated.

    > >> Bruce

    > >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    > >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    > Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    > carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
    > some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    > Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    > tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    > remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
    > never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    > I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    > repeat my mistake :) .

    RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
    to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
    heard)

    Still prefer 'Bit the dust'

    Bruce

    Bruce Varney, Apr 7, 2011
  8. Bruce Varney

    Tony Harding Guest

    On 04/07/11 06:50, Bob Villa wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney"<> wrote:
    >> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    >> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    >> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    >> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
    >> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
    >> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    >> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
    >> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    >> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    >> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    >> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
    >> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    >> from the Dim 8400 drive.
    >>
    >> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    >> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
    >> using the XP PC.
    >>
    >> Any help& pointers will be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Bruce

    > Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    > South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    Q. What's west of the UK [besides water]?

    A. The [former] Colonies.

    :)

    Tony Harding, Apr 7, 2011
  9. Bruce Varney

    Tony Harding Guest

    On 04/07/11 08:28, RnR wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 10, 5:20 pm, "Bruce Varney"<> wrote:
    >>> My faithful dimension 8400 eventually bit the dust, power supply went west
    >>> taking the motherboard with it. Bit of luck I never paid out for a 3.6 Ghz
    >>> CPU I was tempted to buy! I will be picking up a Inspiron 530 at the
    >>> weeekend fairly cheap and I will be loading Win 7 Pro on it. The hard
    >>> drive from the Dim 8400 also has Win 7 Pro loaded on it. I want to install
    >>> the Dim 8400 drive as a second drive in the Inspiron 530 so I can transfer
    >>> the important files over from it to the main drive. How difficult will it
    >>> be for me to transfer all my profiles and personal files and where do I look
    >>> for those files for MS Outlook and the 3 profiles that I have set up on
    >>> outlook as well as those other secretly hidden but important files that are
    >>> needed.
    >>>
    >>> To get me back on line for the time being I have dusted down my old Dim 8300
    >>> running Win XP SP3 . I know I can transfer files from this to a Win 7 PC
    >>> but will it be best to transfer these files before or after the transfer
    >>> from the Dim 8400 drive.
    >>>
    >>> One thing I will do before starting out on this exercise is to make a clone
    >>> of the Dim 8400 drive in case of unforseen problems arising. I can do this
    >>> using the XP PC.
    >>>
    >>> Any help& pointers will be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Bruce

    >> Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    >> South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    > Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    > carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
    > some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    > Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    > tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    > remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
    > never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    > I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    > repeat my mistake :) .

    What's the current, acceptable phrase?

    Tony Harding, Apr 7, 2011
  10. Bruce Varney

    Tony Harding Guest

    On 04/07/11 17:23, Bruce Varney wrote:

    > "Bob Villa" wrote in message
    >
    > On Apr 7, 7:28 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> went >> west

    >> 3.6 >> Ghz

    >> will >> it

    >> do I >> look

    >> up on

    >> that >> are

    >> Dim >> 8300

    >> 7 >> PC

    >> transfer

    >> a >> clone

    >> do >> this

    >> >Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    >> >South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    >> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    >> carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
    >> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    >> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    >> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    >> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
    >> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    >> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    >> repeat my mistake :) .

    > RnR, as I stated, going South means straight-down and buried. Nothing
    > to do with being derogatory about the South. (As far as I have ever
    > heard)
    >
    > Still prefer 'Bit the dust'
    >
    > Bruce

    Understood, but the SFTPOCTD (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
    Dust) has a powerful lobby and filed an amicus curiae brief that *some*
    dust, *somewhere*, might *someday* be offended by the term and sought
    *cease and desist* protection.

    :)

    Tony Harding, Apr 7, 2011
  11. Bruce Varney

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Apr 7, 4:44 pm, Tony Harding <> wrote:
    > On 04/07/11 06:50, Bob Villa wrote:
    >

    > Q. What's west of the UK [besides water]?
    >
    > A. The [former] Colonies.
    >
    > :)

    Alt. A. Titanic (Bit the Dust,Deep Six,Went South)

    Bob Villa, Apr 7, 2011
  12. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 17:45:36 -0400, Tony Harding
    <> wrote:

    >On 04/07/11 08:28, RnR wrote:
    >> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 03:50:51 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Hey Bruce, I'm not sure about you guys...but we say something "went
    >>> South" when it dies. (as in-gets buried). ; )

    >> Bob, I originally lived up north (NYC) and then moved to Texas so I
    >> carry some expressions from the North. I learned from experience that
    >> some expressions like "went south" doesn't go well with southerners.
    >> Seems like common sense but when you are so used to saying things, you
    >> tend to repeat it despite where you go (at least at first) and I
    >> remember how embarrassed I was when I was corrected by a Texan. I
    >> never meant any harm by it but I realize now that I was ignorant then.
    >> I don't know what I say now in it's place but I'm very careful not to
    >> repeat my mistake :) .

    >What's the current, acceptable phrase?

    Tony, I'm no authority on this and probably best to ask a Texan but
    off the top of my head I'd say it "went bad". Southerners can be a
    bit sensitive in my opinion.... well some of them.

    And if I offended any southerner here by saying that, you're the type
    I mean <grin>.

    RnR, Apr 8, 2011
  13. Bruce Varney

    RnR Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:40:28 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
    <> wrote:

    >On Apr 7, 4:44 pm, Tony Harding <> wrote:
    >> On 04/07/11 06:50, Bob Villa wrote:
    >>

    >> Q. What's west of the UK [besides water]?
    >>
    >> A. The [former] Colonies.
    >>
    >> :)

    >Alt. A. Titanic (Bit the Dust,Deep Six,Went South)

    Bob, trust me, you don't want to say "went south" in the south <g>.

    RnR, Apr 8, 2011