DIMM Slot A vs. Slot B

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bob Pownall, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.

    I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.

    I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.

    The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
    to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.

    The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
    DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.

    Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?

    Am I confused? Or did somebody at the factory stick the slot label in
    the wrong place?

    Bob Pownall

    1. Advertising

  2. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Bob Pownall" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.
    >
    > I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.
    >
    > I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.
    >
    > The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
    > to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.
    >
    > The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
    > DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.
    >
    > Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?

    Yes. And the placement of a single DIMM in either is fine in that system.

    Stew

    1. Advertising

  3. S. Mims

    S. Mims Guest

    An example of poor quality control.
    "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob Pownall" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm just hoping to clear up some puzzlement on my part.
    >>
    >> I've got a Dell Inspiron 8500.
    >>
    >> I had the memory cover off, and noticed something that seemed odd to me.
    >>
    >> The motherboard has two little labels (printed directly on the PCB) next
    >> to the DIMM slots: DIMM1 and DIMM2.
    >>
    >> The puzzling thing, to me, is that in the slot next to the one labeled
    >> DIMM2 is a sticker that says SLOT A.
    >>
    >> Would DIMM1 be SLOT A and DIMM2 be SLOT B?
    >>

    > Yes. And the placement of a single DIMM in either is fine in that system.
    >

    > Stew

  4. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    "S. Mims" <> wrote in message
    > An example of poor quality control.

    No. Rather, a common example of Intel/Mitac/Foxconn PCB socket labeling.
    It's no different with retail boards by, say, Asus.

    Stew

  5. Bob Pownall

    Bob Pownall Guest

    S.Lewis wrote: