disappeared WiFi icon in "tray"

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Tim923, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    I have a T41 laptop. The WiFi has been working great for months. There
    used to be 2 WiFi icons in the "tray". One of them looks like a monitor
    with three radio like lines next to it. The icon I am missing now is the
    square icon that lets me detect wireless networks in range, change them, and
    see signal strength. Now I only get the radio icon. It seemed to happen
    after a power failure in the electric lines. This is when the battery
    kicked in and took over. When I click on the radio icon, there is no way
    for me to change the network. It just stays on the home wireless network
    and won't let me change when I leave home. I can click on the radio icon
    (not like I did before when I had that square icon), but I get the message
    that Windows cannot configure this wireless connection and suggests I use
    another program.

    How do I get that square icon back. Tim

    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tim923 wrote:
    > I have a T41 laptop. The WiFi has been working great for months. There
    > used to be 2 WiFi icons in the "tray". One of them looks like
    > a monitor with three radio like lines next to it. The icon I am
    > missing now is the square icon that lets me detect wireless networks
    > in range, change them, and see signal strength. Now I only get the
    > radio icon. It seemed to happen after a power failure in the
    > electric lines. This is when the battery kicked in and took over. When I
    > click on the radio icon, there is no way for me to change the
    > network. It just stays on the home wireless network and won't let me
    > change when I leave home. I can click on the radio icon (not like I
    > did before when I had that square icon), but I get the message that
    > Windows cannot configure this wireless connection and suggests I use
    > another program.
    > How do I get that square icon back. Tim

    Reinstall ThinkVantage Access Connections. Maybe through TV System Update?
    --
    Shaun.

  3. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    > Reinstall ThinkVantage Access Connections. Maybe through TV System Update?
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Sounded like a great idea. I installed the latest version of T.V.A.C., but
    still no icon. I'm puzzled as the icon was there for months. Tim

  4. Tim923

    Tim923 Guest

    OK, here's what I did:

    install .NET framwork, the latest version
    upgrade T.V.A.C. to latest version
    uninstall T.V.A.C.
    install latest version again

    And now I have the icons. Thanks.

  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tim923 wrote:
    > OK, here's what I did:
    >
    > install .NET framwork, the latest version
    > upgrade T.V.A.C. to latest version
    > uninstall T.V.A.C.
    > install latest version again
    >
    > And now I have the icons. Thanks.

    Heh! The hoops we jump through huh?

    Good to hear that you've got it sorted. TVAC is a great app.
    --
    Shaun.