DISK BOOT FAILURE

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by jpero09@gmail.com, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Building my first PC and I'm hitting the following issue...
    On first boot, trying to get OS installed, the HD is fresh out of the
    box as well as the CD drive. Getting the following message:

    Verifying DMI Pool ...
    DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

    Sounds like the CD is begining to spin at first, but then it just
    stops.
    Verified boot order in BIOS as CD, HD

    any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

    1. Advertising

  2. davy

    davy Guest

    You need to ensure that the disc is configured correctly at the back of
    the drive with the jumper link, there's normally a diagram on the top
    telling which links to use, also ensure the hard drive is recognized in
    bios, if using a single hard drive this should be HDD0, if unsure you
    could always use cable select marked CS.

    Here's a link that may help 'How to Install or Repair XP'
    (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)

    Make the CD the first bootable device as we need to boot from this and
    the Hard disk the 2nd or disabled... half way through the installation
    you'll get "Rebooting in #### seconds" you need to remove the CD before
    the computer boots as from now you'll need to set the Hard drive as the
    1st bootable device... the rest can be disabled since from now on you'll
    always be booting from the hard drive.

    davy

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Feb 7, 10:00 am, davy <> wrote:
    > You need to ensure that the disc is configured correctly at the back of
    > the drive with the jumper link, there's normally a diagram on the top
    > telling which links to use, also ensure the hard drive is recognized in
    > bios, if using a single hard drive this should be HDD0, if unsure you
    > could always use cable select marked CS.
    >
    > Here's a link that may help 'How to Install or Repair XP'
    > (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)
    >
    > Make the CD the first bootable device as we need to boot from this and
    > the Hard disk the 2nd or disabled... half way through the installation
    > you'll get "Rebooting in #### seconds" you need to remove the CD before
    > the computer boots as from now you'll need to set the Hard drive as the
    > 1st bootable device... the rest can be disabled since from now on you'll
    > always be booting from the hard drive.
    >
    > davy

    Thanks for the reply! I verified the HD was at IDE 0 as master. I've
    got the CD drive on 1. I tried running with the jumper as CS and
    Master, both with the same result, disk spins for about 5 seconds and
    then stops. Verified CD was first in the boot order. Should I look
    into picking up another disc drive?

  4. Guest

    I figured it out finally. It was the software i had in the drive. I
    had the vista CD in the drive, but evidently i need an 'image' disc to
    boot from first. ISO format. Like I said, this is my first pc, :)
    (although the message was a bit decieving).