DIsk partitioning for Linux on ThinkPad SL400

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Bartley K7AAY, May 4, 2009.

  1. 149GB hd from factory in my Lenovo SL400. Vista's Disk Management snap-
    in shows this partitioning for Disk 0:

    Letter Volume Size Status
    -- ----------- ------ -------------------------------------------
    S: SERVICE003 1004 MiB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partiion)
    C: SW_Preload 135 GiB Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    unallocated 10 GiB recovered from C: w/ Disk Mgt snap-in & by
    shrinking Q: w/ EASUS Part. Mgr.
    Q: Lenovo 6 GiB Healthy (Primary Partition)

    1 Should C: be the first partition? Since the first partition is the
    fastest, sure feels like it would be nice to shuffle S: and C:
    positions.

    2 What's in Q:, anyway? What's the impact of deleting it, if I copy
    its contents to a DVD-RL?

    3 It's my intent to install a Linux (eLive? Kubuntu? pcE17OS 2nd Ed.?
    Dislike GNOME, fer sure) and I've been given to understand there's a
    maximum of four (4) Primary Partitions on a hard drive, so how do I
    overcome that? With extended partitions? Linux wants two partitions
    (well, three, but since I have 2GB RAM, I think Linux will do OK sans
    swap).

    John Bartley K7AAY, May 4, 2009

  2. John Bartley K7AAY

    Horst Franke Guest

    In news:
    John Bartley K7AAY wrote:

    > 149GB hd from factory in my Lenovo SL400. Vista's Disk Management
    > snap- in shows this partitioning for Disk 0:
    >
    > Letter Volume Size Status
    > -- ----------- ------ -------------------------------------------
    > S: SERVICE003 1004 MiB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partiion)

    Hi John, I don't see, why this is an ACTIVE primary partition.
    Would assume this to be a backup partition or a setup partition.

    > C: SW_Preload 135 GiB Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    > unallocated 10 GiB recovered from C: w/ Disk Mgt snap-in & by
    > shrinking Q: w/ EASUS Part. Mgr.

    Don't understand the additions.
    C: should be the Boot, System and primary partition.
    But 135 GB is far too much. Even Vista would not need so much.

    > Q: Lenovo 6 GiB Healthy (Primary Partition)

    This looks like a backup partition of provided applications.

    > 1 Should C: be the first partition? Since the first partition is the
    > fastest, sure feels like it would be nice to shuffle S: and C:
    > positions.

    Yes, C: should be the first bootable partition.
    Don't know wow S: would react with C:

    > 2 What's in Q:, anyway? What's the impact of deleting it, if I copy
    > its contents to a DVD-RL?

    Be carefull. This seems to be the your setup partition.

    > 3 It's my intent to install a Linux (eLive? Kubuntu? pcE17OS 2nd Ed.?

    Ok, then there is no need to care what's on your HD.
    Just delete and repartition it again.
    But be aware if you would like to have a Windows Vista backup.
    Perform backup copies.

    > Dislike GNOME, fer sure) and I've been given to understand there's a
    > maximum of four (4) Primary Partitions on a hard drive, so how do I
    > overcome that? With extended partitions? Linux wants two partitions
    > (well, three, but since I have 2GB RAM, I think Linux will do OK sans
    > swap).

    This is basic knowledge: a HD can only hold 4 primary partitions or
    3 primary and 1 extended partition.
    Of which ONLY 1 primary can be an active partition (for booting)!

    Linux does not differentiate from this.
    You need 1 primary _active_ partition to boot from.
    And this should confirm to a Linux known Filesystem e.g. ***.

    The second Linux partition can also be a primary partition but NOT
    an active one - or an extended partition with logical drives.
    But be aware that Linux likes special Filesystems.

    So it's no problem if you define 1 primary _active_ partition, to boot from.
    The second partition requires no special attends.

    Of your 149 GB you could reserve 2 GB for Linux Boot and 512 MB for
    the Linux SWAP partition. The rest would be for applications.

    The rest may be a primary or extended partition.
    And if you don't plan to go back to Vista at any time, then you don't need
    any Vista backup system.

    Otherwise you may like to do an "Image Backup" of the current HD.
    But if you have related CD images then this would not be required.

    Horst

    Horst Franke, May 19, 2009