    Welsh Gas
    Remove usual to reply direct.
    paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk
    WelshGas, Jul 29, 2012

  2. WelshGas

    WelshGas Guest

    On 29/07/2012 14:16, in article CC3AF627.51721%,
    "WelshGas" <> wrote:

    > Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
    > that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
    > come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,( System Pref - Energy
    > Saver ) but it doesn't come on. I can use a Hot Corner to put the Display
    > into sleep mode but cannot schedule it. Anyone else had this problem?
    >
    > Have since found the cause- a USB printer that is normally on allways.
    > Switch off - problem sorted.

    Updated software from Canon and now Printer./scanner can be left on without
    interfering with the Display Sleep Schedule

    WelshGas, Jul 29, 2012

  3. WelshGas

    JF Mezei Guest

    WelshGas wrote:
    > Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
    > that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
    > come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,

    Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed and
    has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to draw the
    animations.

    Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep function
    at 5 minutes.
    JF Mezei, Aug 2, 2012
  4. In article <5019cc42$0$1720$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > WelshGas wrote:
    > > Installed 10.8 on my 2008 24" iMac without any problems EXCEPT for the fact
    > > that the Display Sleep function does not seem to work. I have Screensaver to
    > > come on after 5 mins and Display Sleep after 15mins,

    > Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed and
    > has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to draw the
    > animations.
    >
    > Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep function
    > at 5 minutes.

    I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
    animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
    used the Basic Black screen saver.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Aug 2, 2012
  5. WelshGas

    WelshGas Guest

    On 02/08/2012 16:16, in article , "Paul
    Sture" <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:59:47 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    >> In article <5019cc42$0$1720$c3e8da3$>,
    >> JF Mezei <> wrote:

    >>> Note that with modern screens the "screen saver" is no longer needed
    >>> and has the opposite effect since it uses more CPU and GPU power to
    >>> draw the animations.
    >>>
    >>> Try disabling the screen saver and just go for the screen sleep
    >>> function at 5 minutes.

    >> I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
    >> animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
    >> used the Basic Black screen saver.

    > I have always used Blank Screen instead of animated screen savers,
    > irrespective of platform.

    Didn't matter if the Screensaver was On or Off the Display Sleep function
    Schedule would not work, only using a Hot Corner on the screen would put the
    Display to sleep. Now having tracked the problem to my Canon MP272
    printer/scanner and having updated the Canon software does the Display
    Screen schedule work as intended under 10.8.

    WelshGas, Aug 2, 2012
  6. WelshGas

    Lewis Guest

    In message <CC40607C.51B19%>
    WelshGas <> wrote:
    > On 02/08/2012 16:16, in article , "Paul
    > Sture" <> wrote:

    >> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:59:47 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:

    >>> I've been doing that for ages simply because I find screen saver
    >>> animations incredibly annoying. Before Apple offered screen sleep, I
    >>> used the Basic Black screen saver.

    >> I have always used Blank Screen instead of animated screen savers,
    >> irrespective of platform.

    > Didn't matter if the Screensaver was On or Off the Display Sleep function
    > Schedule would not work, only using a Hot Corner on the screen would put the
    > Display to sleep. Now having tracked the problem to my Canon MP272
    > printer/scanner and having updated the Canon software does the Display
    > Screen schedule work as intended under 10.8.

    For future reference, Shift-Control-Eject will put the display to sleep
    immediately.

    --
    Love is like oxygen / You get too much / you get too high / Not enough
    and you're gonna die
    Lewis, Aug 3, 2012