    is practically possible - not what's endorsed by HP.

    Best regards,

    Kasper Hansen

    Kasper Hansen [8270], Oct 7, 2009

  2. * Kasper Hansen [8270]:
    > I bought myself a cheap DL360 G4p server on eBay. It's a Dual Core
    > model which means it comes with a SAS controller.
    > I know that SAS controllers are compatible with SATA drives, and that
    > the quickspecs for the server indeed states this. However I'm a bit
    > worried that the quickspecs say that maximum capacity is 240 GB using
    > SATA (4 x 60 GB), since my logic tells me that I could plug in 4 x 320
    > GB WD Caviar black for example.

    The quickspec says that because at that time it was the maximum capacity
    obtainable with the SATA hard drives HP sold.

    > Is this just because the QuickSpecs are outdated?

    They are not outdated. They just list what was supported by HP for this
    specific model.

    > Or is there some
    > sort of difference between HP SFF SATA drives and regular 2.5" SATA
    > 2.0 drives?

    Other than the firmware, no. HP SATA drives for ProLiants usually are
    Seagate ES series or similar server-class SATA hard drives. However, you
    can use generic SATA hard drives just fine. BTDT many many times.

    > I know that this is not recommended by HP, but I'm looking to see what
    > is practically possible - not what's endorsed by HP.

    I have a ProLiant ML350 G5 which is my Windows Home Server. For a long
    time I used generic Seagate 750GB SATA hard drives, now they have been
    replaced by cheap Seagate Barracuda LP 1.5TB drives.

    However, stay away from WDC drives. For some reason some of the newer
    drives (like the WD20EADS 2TB drive) cause sporadic errors which
    degrades your RAID array. Iwould recommend to go with Seagate.

    Also, before you move to non-HP drives, do an upgrade of server and
    controller BIOS to the latest version.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Oct 8, 2009

  3. > Benjamin

    Thanks Benjamin, you confirmed all my suspicions. I'll have a look at what
    drive options i have. I wanted to go with WD both because of previous good
    experiences (although not on HP servers) and because I can adjust the TLER
    of the drives.

    Best regards,

    Kasper Hansen

    Kasper Hansen, Oct 8, 2009
  4. * Kasper Hansen:
    >> Benjamin

    > Thanks Benjamin, you confirmed all my suspicions. I'll have a look at what
    > drive options i have. I wanted to go with WD both because of previous good
    > experiences (although not on HP servers) and because I can adjust the TLER
    > of the drives.

    You could try the WDC RE series which may work better than the Caviar
    models, however I would recommend to buy where you can return the drives
    in case it doesn't work.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Oct 8, 2009