Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDS utilise dual channel RAM?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

    I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
    that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
    feature, and by using the dual channel.

    But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
    wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
    Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
    RAM.

    I don't know if that's a problem.

    Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?

    I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
    you overclockers know about better than anybody.

    Thanks in advance

    1. Advertising

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, wrote:

    > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

    Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
    that uses system ram.

    > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?

    No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
    video.

  3. Guest

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    > >

    > Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
    > that uses system ram.
    >
    > > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    > >

    > No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
    > video.

    Thanks, does the same apply to P4 MBRDs?
    And out of interest, do all P4 MBRDs utilise it?

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    > > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:57:20 -0700, wrote:
    > >
    > > > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    > > >

    > > Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
    > > that uses system ram.
    > >
    > > > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > > > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    > > >

    > > No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
    > > video.
    > >

    > Thanks, does the same apply to P4 MBRDs?
    > And out of interest, do all P4 MBRDs utilise it?

    Some do and some don't :) 875/865 do and 848 does not.
    There are some budget chipsets that are single channel.
    You really need to read the technical specs on the web
    pages for the motherboards, to get the information.

    Paul

  5. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

    Yes. Particularly nForce 2 chipset motherboards.

    --
    Conor
    Sig under construction. Please check back when Duke Nukem Forever ships

    Cashback on online purchases:
    http://www.TopCashBack.co.uk/Conor/ref/index.htm

  6. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    >
    > I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
    > that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
    > feature, and by using the dual channel.
    >
    > But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
    > wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
    > Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
    > RAM.
    >
    > I don't know if that's a problem.
    >
    > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    >
    > I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
    > you overclockers know about better than anybody.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  7. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    >
    > I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
    > that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
    > feature, and by using the dual channel.
    >
    > But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
    > wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
    > Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
    > RAM.
    >
    > I don't know if that's a problem.
    >
    > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    >
    > I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
    > you overclockers know about better than anybody.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
    at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
    directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip, and
    this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
    greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do not
    get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB advertised
    at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
    slightly more than 800.

    If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of anything
    Intel.

    Bobby

  8. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    > >
    > > I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
    > > that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
    > > feature, and by using the dual channel.
    > >
    > > But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
    > > wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
    > > Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
    > > RAM.
    > >
    > > I don't know if that's a problem.
    > >
    > > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    > > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    > >
    > > I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
    > > you overclockers know about better than anybody.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >

    > AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
    > at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
    > directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip, and
    > this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
    > greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do not
    > get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB advertised
    > at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
    > slightly more than 800.
    >
    > If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of anything
    > Intel.
    >
    > Bobby

    AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    Northbridge is not the FSB.
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]

    I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.

    I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    (effective) FSB speeds. ?

    [1]
    (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )

  9. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:14:19 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?

    > AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the RAM
    > at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak

    Athlon XP's, the subject CPU's in this case, do not have onboard memory
    controllers. Only AMD K8 CPU's (socket 754, 939, 940, am2) have onboard
    memory controllers.

  10. Adam Stemp

    Adam Stemp Guest

    >> Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    >>

    > Some do. Some don't. There's really no need unless you have onboard video
    > that uses system ram.
    >
    >> Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    >> XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    >>

    > No, you wouldn't lose out. The only exception would be if you had onboard
    > video.

    Could you please elaborate on this point?

  11. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Do AMD Athlon XP supporting MBRDs utilise dual channel RAM?
    >> >
    >> > I know that P4 based MBRDs do. P4 Quad pumps the FSB. The DDR RAM gets
    >> > that much bits flowing across the bus by dual pumping via the DDR
    >> > feature, and by using the dual channel.
    >> >
    >> > But seems to me that if AMD based MBRDs utilised dual channel, you
    >> > wouldn't have an equal amount of data flowing back and forth.
    >> > Or would it be that the CPU just needs 2 cycles per every one cycle of
    >> > RAM.
    >> >
    >> > I don't know if that's a problem.
    >> >
    >> > Would I lose out putting a single 512MB DDR module into an AMD Athlon
    >> > XP supporting board. As oppose to putting 2*256MB modules ?
    >> >
    >> > I know this isn't really about overclocking, but it's the kind of thing
    >> > you overclockers know about better than anybody.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance
    >> >

    >> AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the
    >> RAM
    >> at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
    >> directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip,
    >> and
    >> this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
    >> greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do
    >> not
    >> get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB
    >> advertised
    >> at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
    >> slightly more than 800.
    >>
    >> If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of
    >> anything
    >> Intel.
    >>
    >> Bobby

    > AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    > Northbridge is not the FSB.
    > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]
    >
    > I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    > same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.
    >
    > I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    > don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    > Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    > (effective) FSB speeds. ?
    >

    > [1]
    > (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    > http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )

    You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD systems
    is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used for
    processor to RAM comms.

    You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...

    Bobby

  12. "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the
    > >> RAM
    > >> at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
    > >> directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip,
    > >> and
    > >> this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
    > >> greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do
    > >> not
    > >> get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB
    > >> advertised
    > >> at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
    > >> slightly more than 800.
    > >>
    > >> If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of
    > >> anything
    > >> Intel.
    > >>
    > >> Bobby

    > > AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    > > Northbridge is not the FSB.
    > > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]
    > >
    > > I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    > > same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.
    > >
    > > I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    > > don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    > > Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    > > (effective) FSB speeds. ?
    > >

    > > [1]
    > > (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    > > http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )
    > >

    > You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD systems
    > is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used for
    > processor to RAM comms.

    It is on the athlon xp.

    > You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...

    hhmmmm, take your own advice.

    James

  13. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "James Grabowski" <> wrote in message
    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    >> > Northbridge is not the FSB.
    >> > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]
    >> >
    >> > I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    >> > same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.
    >> >
    >> > I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    >> > don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    >> > Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    >> > (effective) FSB speeds. ?
    >> >

    >> > [1]
    >> > (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    >> > http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )
    >> >

    >> You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD
    >> systems
    >> is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used
    >> for
    >> processor to RAM comms.

    > It is on the athlon xp.
    >
    >> You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...

    > hhmmmm, take your own advice.
    >
    > James

    At least the answer I gave was correct.

    Your answer was completely wrong.

    Bobby

  14. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:03:27 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > "James Grabowski" <> wrote in message
    >> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD
    >>> systems
    >>> is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used
    >>> for
    >>> processor to RAM comms.

    >> It is on the athlon xp.
    >>
    >>> You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...

    >> hhmmmm, take your own advice.
    >>
    >> James

    > At least the answer I gave was correct.
    >
    > Your answer was completely wrong.

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but every answer you gave was
    incorrect.. The Athlon XP doesn't have an onboard memory controller. Only
    the K8 and later AMD cpu's do. Socket 754 cpu's just have one and don't do
    dual channel. Sockets 940, 939, and I assume the new AM2 do. For the
    Athlon XP and all of AMD socket A CPU's, the memory controller is in the
    chipset just like Intels. For socket A boards, Nvidia had a dual channel
    chipset, and VIA may have come out with one later, although I'm not sure
    and don't even care if they did por not. Socket A is pretty much dead. And
    as everyone found out, dual channel memory controllers didn't do much for
    the system, offering about a 1-3% increase in performance. The ONLY time
    it provided a clear performance boost was when it was paired with onboard
    video that could use the second channel independently for the video. other
    than that, it was about useless. Here's a basic Athlon XP chipset that
    shows everything for you. I suggest you take a look.

    http://www.sis.com/products/sis748_benefits.htm

    And here's the basic K8 chipset you are referring to.

    http://www.sis.com/products/sis756_benefits.htm

  15. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:03:27 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >

    >> "James Grabowski" <> wrote in message

    >>> It is on the athlon xp.

    >>> hhmmmm, take your own advice.
    >>>
    >>> James

    >> At least the answer I gave was correct.
    >>
    >> Your answer was completely wrong.
    >>

    > I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but every answer you gave was
    > incorrect.. The Athlon XP doesn't have an onboard memory controller. Only
    > the K8 and later AMD cpu's do. Socket 754 cpu's just have one and don't do
    > dual channel. Sockets 940, 939, and I assume the new AM2 do. For the
    > Athlon XP and all of AMD socket A CPU's, the memory controller is in the
    > chipset just like Intels. For socket A boards, Nvidia had a dual channel
    > chipset, and VIA may have come out with one later, although I'm not sure
    > and don't even care if they did por not. Socket A is pretty much dead. And
    > as everyone found out, dual channel memory controllers didn't do much for
    > the system, offering about a 1-3% increase in performance. The ONLY time
    > it provided a clear performance boost was when it was paired with onboard
    > video that could use the second channel independently for the video. other
    > than that, it was about useless. Here's a basic Athlon XP chipset that
    > shows everything for you. I suggest you take a look.
    >
    > http://www.sis.com/products/sis748_benefits.htm
    >
    > And here's the basic K8 chipset you are referring to.
    >
    > http://www.sis.com/products/sis756_benefits.htm
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

    I was referring to Athlon 64 and Sempron.

    Try to keep up...

    Bobby

  16. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:28:43 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > I was referring to Athlon 64 and Sempron.

    And that's why all your answers were incorrect.

    > Try to keep up...

    Try to read better, Look at the subject line. Do you see anything about
    Athlon 64's or Semprons? And even at that, socket A semprons don't onboard
    controllers either.

  17. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> AMD Processors have an on die memory controller that can "talk" to the
    > >> RAM
    > >> at the core frequency of the processor. Intel processors cannot speak
    > >> directly to the RAM. Intel procs must go through the Northbridge chip,
    > >> and
    > >> this is the FSB. The AMD system is much more efficient and has bandwidth
    > >> greater than that of DDR2. Intel's falsely named "quad pumped" FSB do
    > >> not
    > >> get anywhere near the advertised throughput; for example an FSB
    > >> advertised
    > >> at 800 MHz gets only about 620 MHZ. An FSB advertised at 1033 only gets
    > >> slightly more than 800.
    > >>
    > >> If Processor to RAM speed is your primary concern, steer clear of
    > >> anything
    > >> Intel.
    > >>
    > >> Bobby

    > > AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    > > Northbridge is not the FSB.
    > > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]
    > >
    > > I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    > > same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.
    > >
    > > I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    > > don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    > > Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    > > (effective) FSB speeds. ?
    > >

    > > [1]
    > > (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    > > http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )
    > >

    > You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD systems
    > is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used for
    > processor to RAM comms.
    >
    > You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...
    >
    > Bobby

    you're wrong on everything. And having a problem reading what other
    people are writing.

    By the way. I've been talking chipsets supporting the AMD Athlon XP.
    But judging by your mistakes, you may even realise that.

    RAM is connected to the northbridge.

    USB Is connected to the southbridge. (and i'll assume this is the same
    for "legacy" whatever you mean by that. unless somebody reliable here
    says otherwise)

    And I never said that the FSB was used for processor to ram
    communication.
    On the contrary. I linked to a picture that showed that the "Memory Bus
    " was.

    to further show you that RAM is connected to the northbrige,
    (and while we're at it, that USB is on the southbridge)

    somebody here posted a link SiS748/963L chipset. It's for an Athlon XP
    MBRD.

    http://www.sis.com/products/sis748_benefits.htm
    the link contained a link to this picture
    http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/5779/sis748diagrams4so.jpg

    At that picture, you can see the northbridge and the southbridge. You
    should see the RAM connected to the Northbridge. Adn the USB on the
    southbridge.

  18. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:28:43 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >
    >> I was referring to Athlon 64 and Sempron.
    >>

    > And that's why all your answers were incorrect.
    >
    >> Try to keep up...

    > Try to read better, Look at the subject line. Do you see anything about
    > Athlon 64's or Semprons? And even at that, socket A semprons don't onboard
    > controllers either.
    >
    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

    The OP asked about AMD motherboards that support *DDR2* RAM. AMD AM2
    motherboards support DDR2 RAM, not K7. My answers were in regard to AMD
    motherboards that support DDR2, *WHICH IS WHAT WAS ASKED*.

    Bobby

  19. NoNoBadDog!

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > AMD Athlon XP also has a northbridge.
    >> > Northbridge is not the FSB.
    >> > http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1957/motherboardbusses6cq.jpg [1]
    >> >
    >> > I'd bet that if P4 MBRDs quad pumped is not as efficient as billed, the
    >> > same is true of AMD Athlon XP dual pumped.
    >> >
    >> > I do wonder whether just as DDR RAM is known as DDR 266/333/400 (you
    >> > don't put MHz in there when talking about effective speed).
    >> > Similarly, perhaps one shouldn't put MHz into dual or quad pumped
    >> > (effective) FSB speeds. ?
    >> >

    >> > [1]
    >> > (taken from howstuffworks motherboard explanation
    >> > http://www.howstuffworks.com/motherboard.htm/printable )
    >> >

    >> You have no clue what you are talking about. The Northbridge in AMD
    >> systems
    >> is used for legacy comms to USB, etc. The FSB on an AMD *IS NOT* used
    >> for
    >> processor to RAM comms.
    >>
    >> You shouldn't butt in when you don't have a clue...
    >>
    >> Bobby

    > you're wrong on everything. And having a problem reading what other
    > people are writing.
    >
    > By the way. I've been talking chipsets supporting the AMD Athlon XP.
    > But judging by your mistakes, you may even realise that.
    >
    > RAM is connected to the northbridge.
    >
    > USB Is connected to the southbridge. (and i'll assume this is the same
    > for "legacy" whatever you mean by that. unless somebody reliable here
    > says otherwise)
    >
    > And I never said that the FSB was used for processor to ram
    > communication.
    > On the contrary. I linked to a picture that showed that the "Memory Bus
    > " was.
    >
    > to further show you that RAM is connected to the northbrige,
    > (and while we're at it, that USB is on the southbridge)
    >
    > somebody here posted a link SiS748/963L chipset. It's for an Athlon XP
    > MBRD.
    >
    > http://www.sis.com/products/sis748_benefits.htm
    > the link contained a link to this picture
    > http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/5779/sis748diagrams4so.jpg
    >
    > At that picture, you can see the northbridge and the southbridge. You
    > should see the RAM connected to the Northbridge. Adn the USB on the
    > southbridge.

    Complete idiot.

    Bobby

  20. "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:28:43 -1000, NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > >
    > >> I was referring to Athlon 64 and Sempron.
    > >>

    > > And that's why all your answers were incorrect.
    > >
    > >> Try to keep up...

    > > Try to read better, Look at the subject line. Do you see anything about
    > > Athlon 64's or Semprons? And even at that, socket A semprons don't onboard
    > > controllers either.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
    > >

    > The OP asked about AMD motherboards that support *DDR2* RAM. AMD AM2
    > motherboards support DDR2 RAM, not K7. My answers were in regard to AMD
    > motherboards that support DDR2, *WHICH IS WHAT WAS ASKED*.

    Are you simple? The op asked about running ddr ram in duel channel mode
    with an athlon xp. Nothing about ddr2 ram.

    James