Do ATI video cards handle heat better than NVIDIA video cards?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ANTant@zimage.com, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello.

    I had three NVIDIA cards (e.g., GeForce 4 Ti4200 and two GeForce 6800s) lose video signal in two
    different machines (different hardwares and operating systems). I noticed after rebooting
    computers, I still get no video signals according to CRT monitors (e.g., Samsung SyncMaster 17"
    CRTs). I have seen this on two different machines, multiple video cards (different brands too:
    LeadTek (once) and XFX (twice)), and operating systems (Widnows XP Pro. SP2 and Debian/Linux with
    the latest NVIDIA drivers) and similiar symptoms. Also, it doesn't have to be in intensive uses
    (e.g., gaming or using 3D screen savers) like playing a video file (MPEG-2) or watching a
    HomeStarRunner's Flash.

    Rebooting the computers resulted no boot ups (video signal loss, motherboard just stuck at boot
    up, etc.). However, if I turn off machines and their PSUs to rest and cool off, most likely they
    do come back to life.

    I have not seen this problem with ATI video card (Radeon Pro 9800 All-In-Wonder) so far for the
    last three years I used it. Is it me or are ATI cards better in dealing with heat? The only issues
    I had with ATI is weak Linux support, dots in DOOM 3 (didn't crash my Windows/computer/lose video
    signal) but fixed with an Artic cooler, weak softwares (bugs), etc.?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
    /\___/\
    ( )

    1. Advertising

  2. Buck Fush

    Buck Fush Guest

    The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    models than Nvidia.

    If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or
    more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I had three NVIDIA cards (e.g., GeForce 4 Ti4200 and two GeForce 6800s) lose video signal in two
    > different machines (different hardwares and operating systems). I noticed after rebooting
    > computers, I still get no video signals according to CRT monitors (e.g., Samsung SyncMaster 17"
    > CRTs). I have seen this on two different machines, multiple video cards (different brands too:
    > LeadTek (once) and XFX (twice)), and operating systems (Widnows XP Pro. SP2 and Debian/Linux with
    > the latest NVIDIA drivers) and similiar symptoms. Also, it doesn't have to be in intensive uses
    > (e.g., gaming or using 3D screen savers) like playing a video file (MPEG-2) or watching a
    > HomeStarRunner's Flash.
    >
    > Rebooting the computers resulted no boot ups (video signal loss, motherboard just stuck at boot
    > up, etc.). However, if I turn off machines and their PSUs to rest and cool off, most likely they
    > do come back to life.
    >
    > I have not seen this problem with ATI video card (Radeon Pro 9800 All-In-Wonder) so far for the
    > last three years I used it. Is it me or are ATI cards better in dealing with heat? The only issues
    > I had with ATI is weak Linux support, dots in DOOM 3 (didn't crash my Windows/computer/lose video
    > signal) but fixed with an Artic cooler, weak softwares (bugs), etc.?
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
    > --
    > "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the

    other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Buck Fush <> wrote:
    > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    > models than Nvidia.

    OK, how about with 9800 Pro AIW series?

    > If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    > across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or

    Actually, that was only in ATI 9800 Pro AIW card. Back when DOOM 3 was new and multiple people had
    this problems.

    > more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    > (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    > temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    Yeah, I adjusted this recently and still having problems.

    --

  4. <> wrote in message news:...
    > Buck Fush <> wrote:
    > > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    > > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    > > models than Nvidia.

    > OK, how about with 9800 Pro AIW series?

    The 9800's run relatively hot, since both the GPU and
    memory are at or near their designed top speeds. There
    was another issue where on some cards, the heatsinks
    weren't seated properly. Now that I think of it I believe
    that was a 9700 Pro issue, but may have also applied to
    the 9800's.

    > > If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    > > across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or

    > Actually, that was only in ATI 9800 Pro AIW card. Back when DOOM 3 was new and multiple people had
    > this problems.
    >

    > > more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    > > (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    > > temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    > Yeah, I adjusted this recently and still having problems.

    What kind of temps are you getting for your system, cpu etc?

    > > <> wrote in message news:...
    > > > Hello.
    > > >
    > > > I had three NVIDIA cards (e.g., GeForce 4 Ti4200 and two GeForce 6800s) lose video signal in two
    > > > different machines (different hardwares and operating systems). I noticed after rebooting
    > > > computers, I still get no video signals according to CRT monitors (e.g., Samsung SyncMaster 17"
    > > > CRTs). I have seen this on two different machines, multiple video cards (different brands too:
    > > > LeadTek (once) and XFX (twice)), and operating systems (Widnows XP Pro. SP2 and Debian/Linux with
    > > > the latest NVIDIA drivers) and similiar symptoms. Also, it doesn't have to be in intensive uses
    > > > (e.g., gaming or using 3D screen savers) like playing a video file (MPEG-2) or watching a
    > > > HomeStarRunner's Flash.
    > > >
    > > > Rebooting the computers resulted no boot ups (video signal loss, motherboard just stuck at boot
    > > > up, etc.). However, if I turn off machines and their PSUs to rest and cool off, most likely they
    > > > do come back to life.
    > > >
    > > > I have not seen this problem with ATI video card (Radeon Pro 9800 All-In-Wonder) so far for the
    > > > last three years I used it. Is it me or are ATI cards better in dealing with heat? The only issues
    > > > I had with ATI is weak Linux support, dots in DOOM 3 (didn't crash my Windows/computer/lose video
    > > > signal) but fixed with an Artic cooler, weak softwares (bugs), etc.?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you in advance. :)

    > --
    > "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the

    other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    > | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

  5. Guest

    > > > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    > > > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    > > > models than Nvidia.

    > > OK, how about with 9800 Pro AIW series?

    > The 9800's run relatively hot, since both the GPU and
    > memory are at or near their designed top speeds. There
    > was another issue where on some cards, the heatsinks
    > weren't seated properly. Now that I think of it I believe
    > that was a 9700 Pro issue, but may have also applied to
    > the 9800's.

    Interesting.

    > > > If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    > > > across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or

    > > Actually, that was only in ATI 9800 Pro AIW card. Back when DOOM 3 was new and multiple people had
    > > this problems.
    > >

    > > > more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    > > > (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    > > > temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    > > Yeah, I adjusted this recently and still having problems.

    > What kind of temps are you getting for your system, cpu etc?

    This is what I recorded earlier before my last video signal loss last night:

    83F/28.3C degrees room and played for 30 minutes of FarCry. ...

    ASUS PC Probe said:
    CPU: 111F/43.9C to 132F/55.6C
    Motherboard: 98F/36.7C to 104F/40C

    RivaTuner v2.0 RC16 with NVIDIA v91.31 driver
    Ambient: 104F/40C to 120.2F/49C
    Core: 324.00 (same; did not turn down by itself)
    Memory: 752.14 (same; did not turn down by itself)

    Are these temperature numbers too high? And yes, I do have air flows going. Even a fan sucking out
    heat air from the case right next to the video card.

    --
    "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
    /\___/\
    ( )

  6. * Buck Fush:

    > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    > models than Nvidia.

    Well, the latest Nvidia cards (7900 series) indeed do have serious heat
    problems, especially the versions that are clocked higher by default
    than the generic version...

    > If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    > across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or
    > more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    > (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    > temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    Right. Or he is overclocking the card...

    Benjamin

  7. Guest

    > > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    > > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    > > models than Nvidia.

    > Well, the latest Nvidia cards (7900 series) indeed do have serious heat
    > problems, especially the versions that are clocked higher by default
    > than the generic version...

    That's not good. I hope 6800 doesn't have that problem.

    > > If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
    > > across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or
    > > more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
    > > (not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
    > > temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

    > Right. Or he is overclocking the card...

    I am not overclocking anything. NVIDIA v91.31 driver said:
    Core: 325.00
    Memory: 750
    Note: I did set the fan to be always on no matter what.

    RivaTuner v2.0 RC16 said and monitored before, during, and after games:
    Core: 324.00
    Memory: 752.14
    --
    "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
    /\___/\
    ( )

  8. First of One

    First of One Guest

    The problem is confined to the 7900 series cards, and only with vendors that
    aggressively overclock them out of the factory (notable ones are XFX and
    eVGA).

    <> wrote in message
    >> Well, the latest Nvidia cards (7900 series) indeed do have serious heat
    >> problems, especially the versions that are clocked higher by default
    >> than the generic version...

    > That's not good. I hope 6800 doesn't have that problem.

  9. GTD

    GTD Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:38:20 GMT, "gooooaaallllll"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message news:...
    >> Buck Fush <> wrote:
    >> > The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
    >> > some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
    >> > models than Nvidia.

    >> OK, how about with 9800 Pro AIW series?

    >The 9800's run relatively hot, since both the GPU and
    >memory are at or near their designed top speeds. There
    >was another issue where on some cards, the heatsinks
    >weren't seated properly. Now that I think of it I believe
    >that was a 9700 Pro issue, but may have also applied to
    >the 9800's.

    That was a 9700 pro issue, the bezel around the GPU often stood high
    enough to leave a slight gap between the core and the HSF. On the
    9800's the core stood a bit higher, thus the problem was avoided.