    I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.

    Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

    If my other option is paying Verizon to come out, would a new DSL filter be a good thing to do before calling them?

    CJ, Jan 21, 2006

  2. CJ

    Chris Hill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ" <> wrote:

    >My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past week. I've tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps upload. The performance has been horrible from email to web browsing and especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the same results.
    >I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.
    >
    >Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

    I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
    wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
    phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
    things improve.

    Chris Hill, Jan 21, 2006

  3. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >>My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past week. I've
    >>tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps
    >>upload. The performance has been horrible from email to web browsing and
    >>especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also tested it on
    >>Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the same results.
    >>I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my problem. I've
    >>had these DSL filters for approximately a year. Do they wear out after
    >>about a year of use? I've got one because my phone line connects into the
    >>same outlet as my DSL modem.
    >>
    >>Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people
    >>physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my
    >>floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their apartment.
    >>Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out how to leech
    >>off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't know if this means
    >>anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously
    >>now. The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

    > I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
    > wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
    > phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
    > things improve.

    Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
    have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where to
    go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it connected
    to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control panel--Phone
    and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as existing. I also went
    into System--Hardware and the modem is also not displayed as existing.
    Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless access?
    I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application they give you
    and it does not give you an option to change modem settings, just to change
    the actual type of modem to another one.

    CJ, Jan 21, 2006
  4. CJ

    Pen Guest

    "CJ" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Hill" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:27:30 GMT, "CJ"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this
    >>>past week. I've tested it twice and it's running between
    >>>79-80 kbps download and 62 kbps upload. The performance
    >>>has been horrible from email to web browsing and
    >>>especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm ET. I also
    >>>tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the
    >>>same results.
    >>>I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause of my
    >>>problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a
    >>>year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've
    >>>got one because my phone line connects into the same
    >>>outlet as my DSL modem.
    >>>
    >>>Also, in the past two years living in my building I've
    >>>had people physically steal my phone line and cable line
    >>>from where it enters my floor. They just took the whole
    >>>line and plugged it into their apartment. Is it
    >>>technically possible somebody could have figured out how
    >>>to leech off my DSL? I do not have a wi-fi connection. I
    >>>don't know if this means anything, but the "wireless"
    >>>light is lit up on my DSL modem continuously now. The E1
    >>>light flickers every once in a while.

    >> I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure
    >> that the
    >> wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next
    >> unplug my
    >> phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line
    >> and see if
    >> things improve.
    >>

    > Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone.
    > However, since I have Verizon and their setup done with
    > just their CD, I don't know where to go to get at the
    > modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it connected
    > to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into
    > control panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is
    > not displayed as existing. I also went into
    > System--Hardware and the modem is also not displayed as
    > existing.
    > Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the
    > wireless access? I've also tried the Verizon Online
    > Support Center application they give you and it does not
    > give you an option to change modem settings, just to
    > change the actual type of modem to another one.

    Westell support is found here;
    http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

    Pen, Jan 21, 2006
  5. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Pen" <> wrote in message

    > "CJ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'd start by going into the modem's setup and making sure that the
    >>> wireless (which it apparently has) is disabled. I'd next unplug my
    >>> phone and plug the dsl modem in direct to the phone line and see if
    >>> things improve.
    >>>

    >> Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
    >> have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where
    >> to go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it
    >> connected to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control
    >> panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as
    >> existing. I also went into System--Hardware and the modem is also not
    >> displayed as existing.
    >> Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless
    >> access? I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application
    >> they give you and it does not give you an option to change modem
    >> settings, just to change the actual type of modem to another one.

    > Westell support is found here;
    > http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

    Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
    took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into the
    web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I think my
    only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

    Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that the
    Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is leaching off
    my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or any wi-fi
    connection?

    CJ, Jan 21, 2006
  6. CJ

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously CJ <> wrote:

    > My Verizon DSL connection has been acting very badly this past
    > week. I've tested it twice and it's running between 79-80 kbps
    > download and 62 kbps upload. The performance has been horrible from
    > email to web browsing and especially downlaods. This is at 11:30 pm
    > ET. I also tested it on Wednesday at like 7:30 pm ET and got the
    > same results. I've heard that a bad DSL filter could be the cause
    > of my problem. I've had these DSL filters for approximately a
    > year. Do they wear out after about a year of use? I've got one
    > because my phone line connects into the same outlet as my DSL modem.

    Very, very unlikely. The only thing that could wear out is
    the capacitors, and they are usually long-life ceramics that
    should give you several decades or reliable operation. It is
    something different if you had a lightening strike. But that
    would be damage and not ageing.

    > Also, in the past two years living in my building I've had people
    > physically steal my phone line and cable line from where it enters my
    > floor. They just took the whole line and plugged it into their
    > apartment. Is it technically possible somebody could have figured out
    > how to leech off my DSL?

    Very, very difficult. A governmental intelligence agency may be
    able to do that (but they would not have a motive). One thing
    that is possible is that somebody tried to steal your line
    again, discovert it did not work anymore (the DSL company usually
    need to configure for each specific modem on each specific line
    with a serial number or the MAC address) and reattached the line
    shoddily. Contact problems in the phone line will give you
    bad data rates.

    > I do not have a wi-fi connection. I don't
    > know if this means anything, but the "wireless" light is lit up on my
    > DSL modem continuously now.

    Interesting. Does your modem support wireless? Then somebody could
    indeed be stealing bandwidth that way. You bets turn the wireless
    off. Should be in the modem's manual how to do that.

    > The E1 light flickers every once in a while.

    > If my other option is paying Verizon to come out, would a new DSL
    > filter be a good thing to do before calling them?

    Very unlikely to help.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jan 22, 2006
  7. CJ

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously CJ <> wrote:

    > "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CJ" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >>> Ok thanks. I'll at least do the unplugging of the phone. However, since I
    >>> have Verizon and their setup done with just their CD, I don't know where
    >>> to go to get at the modem's setup. It's a Westall 327W. I've got it
    >>> connected to my PC through an Ethernet connection. I went into control
    >>> panel--Phone and Modem Options and the modem is not displayed as
    >>> existing. I also went into System--Hardware and the modem is also not
    >>> displayed as existing.
    >>> Where do I go to get into the modem's setup to disable the wireless
    >>> access? I've also tried the Verizon Online Support Center application
    >>> they give you and it does not give you an option to change modem
    >>> settings, just to change the actual type of modem to another one.

    >> Westell support is found here;
    >> http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

    > Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
    > took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into the
    > web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I think my
    > only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

    > Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that
    > the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is
    > leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or
    > any wi-fi connection?

    If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless
    base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
    else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
    a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
    DHCP address per customer.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jan 22, 2006
  8. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >> If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless

    > base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
    > else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
    > a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
    > DHCP address per customer.

    Thanks a lot for that explanation, and the other post too. I think my only
    option at this point is to call Verizon and complain. I can't access the web
    page to change the settings on my modem at all, so I think I'll have to
    depend on their customer service (and pay for it when they come out of
    course).
    I did the speed test again this evening at 8:50 pm ET and again the DL speed
    was 80 kbps with an upload speed of 62 kbps. This is from a server a few
    miles away from me in DC.

    CJ, Jan 22, 2006
  9. CJ

    Pen Guest

    > Previously CJ <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "CJ" <> wrote in message

    > [...]
    >>> Westell support is found here;
    >>> http://www.westell.com/pages/index.jsp

    >> Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their
    >> documentation (which
    >> took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I
    >> can't get into the
    >> web page they want me to get into in order to change my
    >> settings! I think my
    >> only option is to call Verizon and deal with their
    >> customer service.

    >> Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be
    >> worried that
    >> the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean
    >> somebody is
    >> leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have
    >> a router or
    >> any wi-fi connection?

    > If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a
    > wireless
    > base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or
    > not, somebody
    > else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may
    > also act as
    > a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out
    > more than one
    > DHCP address per customer.
    >
    > Arno

    A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
    indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup
    procedure
    in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
    turn off the wireless.

    Pen, Jan 22, 2006
  10. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Pen" <> wrote in message

    > "Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message
    >> Previously CJ <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Pen" <> wrote in message

    >> [...]

    >>> Thanks for the link. I just opened the PDF of their documentation (which
    >>> took 10 minutes for a 5.64 MB download). Unfortunately I can't get into
    >>> the
    >>> web page they want me to get into in order to change my settings! I
    >>> think my
    >>> only option is to call Verizon and deal with their customer service.

    >>> Could somebody please tell me why, or if, I should be worried that
    >>> the Wireless light is lit up constantly? Does that mean somebody is
    >>> leaching off my DSL connection even though I do not have a router or
    >>> any wi-fi connection?

    >> If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless
    >> base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
    >> else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
    >> a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
    >> DHCP address per customer.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
    > indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup procedure
    > in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
    > turn off the wireless.

    Unfortunately the setup procedure is online apparently and I can't get into
    the web site for the setup procedure. I have seen the flashing wireless
    light recently so it seems I may be getting leached off of for my DSL. I'm
    just going to break down and call Verizon and have them come out. I should
    be paying for 80 kbps DL and 62 kbps upload speeds even in the middle of the
    night, that's just horrendous.

    CJ, Jan 22, 2006
  11. CJ

    Marten Kemp Guest

    CJ wrote:

    > "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message

    >>>[...]
    >>>
    >>>If the modem has a "wireless" light, it is likely a wireless
    >>>base-station. It does not matter whether you use it or not, somebody
    >>>else could use it if it is poorely or not secured. It may also act as
    >>>a router or your Internet provider may simply hand out more than one
    >>>DHCP address per customer.
    >>>
    >>>Arno

    >>A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
    >>indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup procedure
    >>in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
    >>turn off the wireless.

    > Unfortunately the setup procedure is online apparently and I can't get into
    > the web site for the setup procedure. I have seen the flashing wireless
    > light recently so it seems I may be getting leached off of for my DSL. I'm
    > just going to break down and call Verizon and have them come out. I should
    > be paying for 80 kbps DL and 62 kbps upload speeds even in the middle of the
    > night, that's just horrendous.

    The 'web site' isn't online, it's displayed by the Westell unit itself.
    Type "http://192.168.1.1" into the address bar of your browser and hit
    enter. The configuration page should come up.

    You're likely to have an IP address for your modem, too. Mine's
    192.168.100.1. Putting these addresses into your bookmarks file
    may be useful, and it's definitely interesting to display now
    and them.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

    Marten Kemp, Jan 22, 2006
  12. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Marten Kemp" <> wrote in message
    > CJ wrote:
    >
    >> "Pen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message

    >>>A st6eady light means wireless is enabled. A flashing light
    >>>indicates wireless traffic. Have you done the setup procedure
    >>>in the manual? Should be easy to change the setup and
    >>>turn off the wireless.

    >> Unfortunately the setup procedure is online apparently and I can't get
    >> into the web site for the setup procedure. I have seen the flashing
    >> wireless light recently so it seems I may be getting leached off of for
    >> my DSL. I'm just going to break down and call Verizon and have them come
    >> out. I should be paying for 80 kbps DL and 62 kbps upload speeds even in
    >> the middle of the night, that's just horrendous.

    > The 'web site' isn't online, it's displayed by the Westell unit itself.
    > Type "http://192.168.1.1" into the address bar of your browser and hit
    > enter. The configuration page should come up.

    I've done that, and it asks for a user name and password. I've entered the
    user name and password I use for Verizon and I can't get in.

    CJ, Jan 22, 2006
  13. CJ

    Chris Hill Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:13:11 GMT, "CJ" <> wrote:

    >I've done that, and it asks for a user name and password. I've entered the
    >user name and password I use for Verizon and I can't get in.

    Try admin and leave password blank, or use admin ad password and leave
    username blank. Sometimes that will work.

    Chris Hill, Jan 22, 2006
  14. CJ

    CJ Guest

    "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:13:11 GMT, "CJ" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've done that, and it asks for a user name and password. I've entered the
    >>user name and password I use for Verizon and I can't get in.

    > Try admin and leave password blank, or use admin ad password and leave
    > username blank. Sometimes that will work.

    Tried that, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't work.

    CJ, Jan 22, 2006
  15. CJ

    Marten Kemp Guest

    CJ wrote:

    > "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:13:11 GMT, "CJ" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've done that, and it asks for a user name and password. I've entered the
    >>>user name and password I use for Verizon and I can't get in.

    >>Try admin and leave password blank, or use admin ad password and leave
    >>username blank. Sometimes that will work.

    > Tried that, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't work.

    I've looked through the manual for the Versalink.
    Unfortunately, it looks as if it's tied to the ISP
    more closely than other types and there doesn't
    seem to be the built-in administration userids and
    passwords.

    I think you'll have to call Verizon. Sorry.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

    Marten Kemp, Jan 22, 2006
  16. CJ

    > CJ wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Hill" <> wrote in message

    >>>Try admin and leave password blank, or use admin ad password and leave
    >>>username blank. Sometimes that will work.

    >> Tried that, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it didn't work.

    > I've looked through the manual for the Versalink.
    > Unfortunately, it looks as if it's tied to the ISP
    > more closely than other types and there doesn't
    > seem to be the built-in administration userids and
    > passwords.

    Yeah, that's what I figured when it didn't let me in yesterday when I tried
    it. Seems like the instructions they provide in their documentation are for
    when a person purchases the modem separately and isn't provided it by the
    ISP like I was. I've read on a web site board that Verizon seems to be
    making a lot of people mad with slowdowns and dropped connections within the
    past week or so. I've seen a few posts from people in my area of VA so
    perhaps it's a widespread Verizon problem here in VA. I am concerned about
    seeing the wireless light blinking sometimes within the past week though.

    CJ, Jan 22, 2006