Do you care about the H.264 hardware decoding function in the ATIdisplay cards?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 18, 2009.

  1. Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 18, 2009

  2. Re: Do you care about the H.264 hardware decoding function in theATI display cards?

    First of One wrote:
    > Just installed CoreAVC v1.9.5.0 in the link (previously I was running
    > v1.8.5.0). Looks like they put in an option for CUDA acceleration. For what
    > it's worth, CPU utilization dropped by half compared to the numbers I gave
    > below.

    CUDA? That's not ATI stuff.... ?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.9

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 19, 2009

  3. Re: Do you care about the H.264 hardware decoding function in theATI display cards?

    > To answer your question, I don't care about H.264 hardware decoding, because
    > well-optimized software decoding with CoreAVC is fast enough (even without
    > invoking CUDA on my Geforce 285).

    DO you know whether Arcsoft TotalMedia could make use of it?
    I am using it to watch HDTV broadcast in Hong Kong (format
    DMB-TH).

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.9
    ^ ^ 18:09:01 up 15 days 5:28 3 users load average: 2.85 1.52 1.23
    ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 19, 2009
  4. Re: Do you care about the H.264 hardware decoding function in theATI display cards?

    First of One wrote:
    > TotalMedia is a packaged app that does scheduling, TV recording and viewing,
    > right? I don't know if TotalMedia has an option to use other codecs besides
    > its own.
    >
    > If you use another app like Media Player Classic to play the recorded shows,
    > then CoreAVC can be used.

    OK. Thanks

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.9
    ^ ^ 11:01:01 up 15 days 22:20 3 users load average: 15.87 12.36 6.77
    ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 20, 2009
  5. Re: Do you care about the H.264 hardware decoding function in theATI display cards?

    > You might find this interesting:
    >
    > http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/press/09_0415.html
    >
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/04/16/tmpgenc-supports-spursengine/1

    Any results for OpenCL?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.9
    ^ ^ 20:39:02 up 1 day 6:07 0 users load average: 2.29 2.23 2.19
    ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B), Apr 23, 2009
  6. Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    >"Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)" <> wrote in message
    >>> You might find this interesting:
    >>>
    >>> http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/press/09_0415.html
    >>>

    > http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/04/16/tmpgenc-supports-spursengine/
    >1
    >>
    >> Any results for OpenCL?
    >>

    > They have it working with CUDA now, so I would think they
    >would be likely to adapt it for OpenCL. It would be interesting
    >to see how well the card's processors are open to "OpenCL"'s
    >use. The Plug-in should be quickly and easily made to work
    >with OpenCL, in place of CUDA, it may even allow for some
    >sort of optimization of the hardware encoder and supporting
    >"Filter" operations using both technologies.
    >
    > This is all speculation at this point, though.
    >
    >Luck;
    > Ken

    Pretty retarded to only support the proprietary CUDA when OpenCL is the
    standard.

    GMAN, Apr 24, 2009
  7. Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    >"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, "Ken Maltby"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Man-wai Chang ToDie (+MS=V32B)" <> wrote in
    >>>message

    > http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/04/16/tmpgenc-supports-spursengine/
    >>>1

    >>> They have it working with CUDA now, so I would think they
    >>>would be likely to adapt it for OpenCL. It would be interesting
    >>>to see how well the card's processors are open to "OpenCL"'s
    >>>use. The Plug-in should be quickly and easily made to work
    >>>with OpenCL, in place of CUDA, it may even allow for some
    >>>sort of optimization of the hardware encoder and supporting
    >>>"Filter" operations using both technologies.
    >>>
    >>> This is all speculation at this point, though.
    >>>
    >>>Luck;
    >>> Ken
    >>>

    >> Pretty retarded to only support the proprietary CUDA when OpenCL is the
    >> standard.
    >>

    > Not any more so than all the programs that use some other 3D graphics
    >engine, instead of OpenGL.
    >
    > I haven't done more than glance at either CUDA or OpenCL, but it may
    >be that they are not totally incompatable. It may be that you could have
    >OpenCL manage the overall parellel processing effort and it interface with
    >CUDA to make use of the GPU processing functions. This new card's
    >multiple processors may be accessible to OpenCL when they are not
    >needed for their normally dedicated encoding processing, there is no way
    >CUDA has any access to them now or in the future.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Even Nvidia has stated that cuda is more the hardware layer and the OpenCL
    standard will run on it. As i stated , Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI are going
    forward withe the OpenCL standard.

    Old but info on AMD's OpenCL support
    http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Adopts-OpenCL-10-Specification/

    http://www.appleinsider.
    com/articles/08/12/10/nvidia_pioneering_opencl_support_on_top_of_cuda.html

    OpenCL vs CUDA?

    When asked how NVIDIA's CUDA compares with OpenCL, and if NVIDIA is planning
    to support both in its future products, Hegde explained, "This is probably
    better put by saying how does C for CUDA compare with OpenCL – this is a
    language to language comparison."

    Hegde added, "The answer is that the two share very similar constructs for
    defining data parallelism, which is generally the major task, so the code will
    be very similar and the porting efforts will be minor.

    "As OpenCL is another method of accessing the GPU, we wholeheartedly support
    it. Its sits seamlessly on top of our CUDA architecture and as such,
    developers using NVIDA hardware have a choice of language and programming
    environment.

    "With regards to product support, we plan to have OpenCL supported on the CUDA
    architecture which means that any NVIDIA GPU built upon the CUDA architecture
    will support OpenCL. This means every GPU (including GeForce, Tesla and Quadro
    lines) from the GeForce 8 series onwards will support OpenCL. This gives
    OpenCL developers an installed base of more than 100 million GPUs."

    GMAN, Apr 25, 2009