    on a card or hub?

    Thank you.

    Mike

    JB, Dec 6, 2005

  2. JB

    Venom Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have one USB2 card installed and need to either add another card or a

    hub.

    > Will adding the card take more system resources than adding a hub?
    >
    > Do the resource requirements go up as more usb ports are populated whether
    > on a card or hub?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Mike

    A powered hub would be the better idea unless you had a real ballsy power
    supply in your computer.

    Venom, Dec 6, 2005

  3. JB

    JB Guest

    "Venom" <> wrote in message

    > "JB" <> wrote in message
    >> I have one USB2 card installed and need to either add another card or a

    > hub.
    >>
    >> Will adding the card take more system resources than adding a hub?
    >>
    >> Do the resource requirements go up as more usb ports are populated
    >> whether
    >> on a card or hub?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > A powered hub would be the better idea unless you had a real ballsy power
    > supply in your computer.

    The PS would make no difference. You get a max of 500MA from the usb port.

    My question had to do with system resources..IOW IRQs and memory allocation.

    JB, Dec 6, 2005
  4. JB

    JB Guest

    Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    > The PS would make no difference. <

    I take that back. It could make a difference but in my case it would not as
    I have enough slack in the available current to take care of what I have in
    mind.

    JB, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    >> The PS would make no difference. <

    > I take that back. It could make a difference but in my case it would not
    > as I have enough slack in the available current to take care of what I
    > have in mind.

    The external hub w/power supply certainly can make a difference with
    higher-draw external devices, and can protect the system itself from
    instability caused by too high a draw on one port (I've had this happen when
    connecting a 1Amp laptop drive to a port; the hub locked up, but not the
    system. When this was done on a laptop port, the laptop crashed badly
    enough to require removing the battery and resetting the BIOS).

    As resources, the controller chips and ports are going to be found, drivers
    loaded and resources allocated regardless of whether they physically are
    located externally or internally, so resource use should be very similar if
    not identical.

    Then, there's the convenience factor of having the external hub placed a
    little closer to hand or just a bit closer to where the gear actually goes.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Dec 7, 2005
  6. JB

    Bushy Guest

    Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    speaking of current draw through a usb port, does an externally powered usb
    hub provide power to the peripherals attached to it (assuming this is how
    they get their power) even when the computer is turned off? I ask with
    relation to the ipod i have just ordered, which doesn't come with an ac
    power cord, but must be charged through a usb port. Unfortunately, with a
    regular motherboard usb port, i am led to believe the usb port will provide
    no power when the computer power is switched off, and so the ipod will only
    charge if/when the computer is turned on.

    Any ideas? For the record i bought the AC power adapter 'accessory' as well,
    but it pains me that apple doesn't provide a means of charging the ipod as a
    part of the package.

    Bushy

    Bushy, Dec 7, 2005
  7. JB

    Paul Guest

    Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    In article <6Czlf.13779$>, "Bushy"
    <ex(underscore)> wrote:

    > speaking of current draw through a usb port, does an externally powered usb
    > hub provide power to the peripherals attached to it (assuming this is how
    > they get their power) even when the computer is turned off? I ask with
    > relation to the ipod i have just ordered, which doesn't come with an ac
    > power cord, but must be charged through a usb port. Unfortunately, with a
    > regular motherboard usb port, i am led to believe the usb port will provide
    > no power when the computer power is switched off, and so the ipod will only
    > charge if/when the computer is turned on.
    >
    > Any ideas? For the record i bought the AC power adapter 'accessory' as well,
    > but it pains me that apple doesn't provide a means of charging the ipod as a
    > part of the package.
    >

    > Bushy

    On older motherboards, there is an option header called USBPWRxx,
    where the xx is the number of the port pair. Selecting the +5VSB
    option will leave the USB ports powered when the computer is sleeping.

    Some of the newest Athlon64 motherboards, which have a large number
    of USB ports, no longer have those headers. I can only guess that
    all the USB ports are already set to +5VSB, because I don't see any
    additional power management devices on those motherboards.

    Plugging a USB mouse that has LED illumination on it, can be
    used as a quick means to see if a port has power. I presume the
    Ipod has a charging indicator as well ?

    No idea on a USB hub. You'd have to test it. Most likely to work
    if the USB hub is self-powered with its own brick power source.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 7, 2005
  8. JB

    Venom Guest

    Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    > > Any ideas? For the record i bought the AC power adapter 'accessory' as

    well,
    > > but it pains me that apple doesn't provide a means of charging the ipod

    as a
    > > part of the package.
    > >

    > I bought a very small 4 port USB2 hub the other day and it didn't come

    with a power adapter either.The hub packaging states it has the power supply
    included but the dealer said to re read the advertisement as it clearly
    states no adapter. Bastard. How expensive could a 5v AC adapter cost? It
    doesn't help that I am having trouble locating one locally. I am tempted to
    plug a 6v supply into it.
    I took the USB cable out of the old USB1 hub with the adapter still plugged
    in and a memory stick flashed it's led at me so I guess that might charge
    your iPod.

    Venom, Dec 7, 2005
  9. JB

    Bushy Guest

    Re: Does a an Extra USB PCI Card Take More Reources than Adding a Hub?..correction

    sweet, thanks for the help people.

    once i gett eh ipod i'll test it out, but i get the feeling that the USB
    ports on ym a7n8x deluxe aren't powered on when the computer is off. I don't
    have an optical mouse to test this on, but the scanner wil re-initialize
    every time the computer is turned on with it plugged in. I fancy this is an
    indication that the scanner is powering up. I could be wrong though. Thanks
    again

    Bushy

    Bushy, Dec 8, 2005
  10. JB

    "Venom" <> wrote in message

    >> > Any ideas? For the record i bought the AC power adapter 'accessory' as

    > well,
    >> > but it pains me that apple doesn't provide a means of charging the ipod

    > as a
    >> > part of the package.
    >> >

    >> I bought a very small 4 port USB2 hub the other day and it didn't come

    > with a power adapter either.The hub packaging states it has the power
    > supply
    > included but the dealer said to re read the advertisement as it clearly
    > states no adapter. Bastard. How expensive could a 5v AC adapter cost? It
    > doesn't help that I am having trouble locating one locally. I am tempted
    > plug a 6v supply into it.
    > I took the USB cable out of the old USB1 hub with the adapter still
    > plugged
    > in and a memory stick flashed it's led at me so I guess that might charge
    > your iPod.<

    Look closely at the specs and see if it claims rates of 480mbps which is the
    USB2 "hi-speed" rate. If it does not, it probably only supports 12mbps
    which is USB2 "full speed". That is the same rate as USB1.1 and it's not
    worth spending additional money on IMO.

    JB, Dec 8, 2005