    Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    ago?

    Bud H

    Bud H, Jan 2, 2012

  2. On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
    > I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
    > with a Windows XP CD.
    >
    > My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
    > Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
    > entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.
    >
    > Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
    > Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    > ago?
    >
    > Bud H

    home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
    (or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
    machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). dell pcs that do not come
    with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
    using your blank dvd+/-r media. also dell has a page where you can
    order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.
    https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

    Christopher Muto, Jan 2, 2012

  3. Bud H

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bud H wrote:
    > I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
    > with a Windows XP CD.
    >
    > My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
    > Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
    > entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.
    >
    > Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
    > Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    > ago?
    >
    > Bud H

    I have nine Gateway laptops and they all came with a Recovery DVD.
    Although they are between 4 to 5 years old. So maybe things are
    different nowadays.

    And to add to RnR comments, there are companies that sell Recovery discs
    for major manufactures. Most of them generally run about 25 bucks for
    the OS, drivers, and the applications that came with the machine. One
    that I have dealt with is:

    http://www.RestoreDisks.com

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 2, 2012
  4. Bud H

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 1, 11:18 pm, Christopher Muto <> wrote:

    > home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
    > (or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
    > machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex).  dell pcs that do not come
    > with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
    > using your blank dvd+/-r media.  also dell has a page where you can
    > order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/...

    Thanks Chris, I sent for mine and they came in 2 days.

    Bob_Villa, Jan 4, 2012
  5. Bud H

    Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:18:03 -0500, Christopher Muto
    <> wrote:

    >On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
    >> I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
    >> with a Windows XP CD.
    >>
    >> My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
    >> Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
    >> entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.
    >>
    >> Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
    >> Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    >> ago?
    >>
    >> Bud H

    >home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
    >(or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
    >machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). dell pcs that do not come
    >with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
    >using your blank dvd+/-r media. also dell has a page where you can
    >order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.
    >https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

    Why only in the USA? Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
    world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
    computers to countries other than the USA.

    , Jan 13, 2012

    <> wrote:

    >On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
    >> I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
    >> with a Windows XP CD.
    >>
    >> My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
    >> Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
    >> entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.
    >>
    >> Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
    >> Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    >> ago?
    >>
    >> Bud H

    >home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
    >(or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
    >machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). dell pcs that do not come
    >with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
    >using your blank dvd+/-r media. also dell has a page where you can
    >order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the
    >usa.
    >https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

    Why only in the USA? Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
    world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
    computers to countries other than the USA.

    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/1434.aspx

    See Step 3 for options.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Jan 14, 2012
  7. Bud H

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Jan 14, 7:03 am, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
    <> wrote:

    > Why only in the USA?  Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
    > world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
    > computers to countries other than the USA.
    >
    > http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_o...
    >
    > See Step 3 for options.

    I did read somewhere (and I can't find it) you need to contact support
    (phone) to obtain disks when not in the USA.

    Bob_Villa, Jan 14, 2012
  8. On 1/13/2012 2:13 PM, wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:18:03 -0500, Christopher Muto
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/1/2012 10:10 PM, Bud H wrote:
    >>> I have a 5 1/2 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer and it came
    >>> with a Windows XP CD.
    >>>
    >>> My two year old Gateway desktop did NOT. A recovery partition only.
    >>> Which I REALLY hate since I want a Windows CD to be able to wipe the
    >>> entire hard drive clean and install Windows myself.
    >>>
    >>> Now I am in the market for a new Dell laptop (XPS 17 or Inspiron 17).
    >>> Does Dell still supply an actual Windows CD as they did five years
    >>> ago?
    >>>
    >>> Bud H

    >> home and home office computers do not come with recover cds from dell
    >> (or any other major manufacturer that i know), but the small business
    >> machines do (vostro, latitude, optiplex). dell pcs that do not come
    >> with media have a way for you to burn your own copy of the windows dvd
    >> using your blank dvd+/-r media. also dell has a page where you can
    >> order recovery media free of charge, once per system, if you are in the usa.
    >> https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form
    >>

    > Why only in the USA? Obviously the first answer is cost, but the
    > world is much larger than the USA, and I'm sure that Dell sells many
    > computers to countries other than the USA.

    not sure why dell has this policy in the usa but not other countries.
    it probably has to do with legal licensing agreements with microsoft.
    the eu and microsoft have a very strained relationship and their
    business decisions are probably made mostly by their lawyers in those
    countries.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 14, 2012