    Fred Moore Guest

    I presume Doze can use Java too. Does anyone know if any variant of
    Flashback affects that OS? If not, why not? TIA

    Fred Moore, Apr 9, 2012

  2. Fred Moore

    nospam Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > I presume Doze can use Java too. Does anyone know if any variant of
    > Flashback affects that OS? If not, why not? TIA

    the vulnerability was patched months ago on windows.

    nospam, Apr 9, 2012

  3. Fred Moore

    David Empson Guest

    Lloyd <> wrote:

    > In article <090420121335028031%>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I presume Doze can use Java too. Does anyone know if any variant of
    > > > Flashback affects that OS? If not, why not? TIA

    > > the vulnerability was patched months ago on windows.

    > So has there been a more recent patch?

    No, there hasn't. Java 6 Update 31 is the current version.

    > If not, Windows Java is at risk again.

    What gives you that idea? If there _had_ been a more recent Java patch
    then new vulnerabilities would have been announced, which means _Mac_
    users and Windows users who have not installed the latest Java update
    would be at risk of new variants of malcious software.

    If Oracle has not released a more recent Java patch then they also
    haven't announced any new known vulnerabilities, so the malware authors
    would have to expend more effort to find previously unknown security
    issues and exploit them. (Announced vulnerabilities give the malware
    authors a much more targetted area to probe.)

    Oracle released Java 6 Update 31 in February. It took Apple about two
    months to release the Mac version, which gave malware authors a
    reasonable window in which to locate and exploit a published
    vulnerability, and to get widespread distrubution to Macs, a high
    proportion of which were vulnerable and had no Java patch available to
    fix the problem.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 10, 2012