    seconds at times. Meanwhile, the HD light is on continuously. I have 1
    gig of RAM. Do I need more? If so, how do I do it?

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 14, 2008

  2. John Navas wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:25:18 GMT, Angelo Campanella
    > <> wrote in
    > <Ora1l.202896$>:
    >>I have had this T43 for almost two years and these days, it takes i a
    >>long time to load programs and to switch from one to the other, maybe 20
    >>seconds at times. Meanwhile, the HD light is on continuously. I have 1
    >>gig of RAM. Do I need more? If so, how do I do it?

    > As I wrote that first time you posted:
    > More [RAM] is always better, but 1 GB should be enough unless you've got
    > lots of crap getting loaded in your system when it starts up. I suspect
    > you've been infected with a virus, worm and/or spyware. Do some serious
    > anti-virus checking.
    >
    > Look at Commit Charge down at the bottom [of Task Managler]. If it
    > exceeds the amount of physical memory, then you're swapping; otherwise
    > you aren't.
    >
    > Possible hardware fault, but I suspect malware.
    >
    > Please do check thoroughly for malware before posting again.

    For some reason, my previous post and all your previous answers did not
    show up in my message cache. I waited a day in hopes of seeing anythins.
    Just the messages here over the past hour have shown. I apologize for that.

    To answer other respsnes:

    1- My task Monitor "Commit charge" is at this istant 805M/200M whatever
    tht means. It has been like that over the past hour and maybe more, I
    can't tell.

    Admittently, I'm a work hog, leaving several half-done tasks up in RAM
    simply because that's the way I work... Life is never perfect.

    2- What I need is a procative way to monitor this situation so that I
    know when to off-load some secondary tasks.

    3- I am running a Norton AV scan now. It's chugging slowly... it has to
    get up to couple of hundred thousand count before it's done.

    Sincerely,

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 14, 2008

  3. John Navas wrote:
    > Look at Commit Charge down at the bottom [of Task Managler]. If it
    > exceeds the amount of physical memory, then you're swapping; otherwise
    > you aren't.

    Correction, the latter Commit figure is 2013M, not 201M.

    Does that mean I have 2 Gig of RAM? or what.

    The physical memory show 522M total, 56M available, 225M system cache,
    Kernal 163M, paged 86M, notepad 77M. (All afer I unloaded Firefox which
    often goes over 100M).

    T do the Startup Load investigation, I should use the TU2009TrialEN-US
    package i just downloaded?

    > Possible hardware fault, but I suspect malware.
    > Please do check thoroughly for malware before posting again.

    The only toools I have for such are Ad-Aware and Norton AntiVirus.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 14, 2008
  4. Angelo Campanella

    Ernie B. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:03:53 GMT Angelo Campanella wrote:

    > The only toools I have for such are Ad-Aware and Norton AntiVirus.

    I would suggest adding the following to your arsenal. Download, install,
    update and run:

    Superantispyware, <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
    Spybot Search & Destroy, <http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html>
    Malwarebytes <http://www.malwarebytes.org/>

    All of these are free to download.
    --
    Ernie B.

    Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
    without distortion.
    Ernie B., Dec 14, 2008
  5. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Angelo Campanella" typed:
    >>Correction, the latter Commit figure is 2013M, not 201M.
    >>Does that mean I have 2 Gig of RAM? or what.

    > It means that your system wants, and can easiily benefit from 2GB or more.
    > Commit charge is the figure that is called for, in your case what you don't
    > have as physical RAM gets paged to HDD.
    >>The physical memory show 522M total, 56M available, 225M system cache,
    >>Kernal 163M, paged 86M, notepad 77M. (All afer I unloaded Firefox
    >>which often goes over 100M).

    > It looks like you may have had 2 x 512 and one of them had either died or
    > needs to re pulled / reinserted as it's not registering. That's probably why
    > you noticed the slowdown so much, a sudden drop from 1GB to 512MB. Usually
    > when it's just bloat it's not so noticable, being gradual.
    > If it were my machine I'd get 2 x 1GB PC2-4200 SODIMMs and install them. (I
    > believe that's the max your machine can run.)
    >>The only toools I have for such are Ad-Aware and Norton AntiVirus.

    > Forget the software for now. Even squeaky-clean it's going to be slow on
    > 512MB.

    Misfit might get the cigar.

    I shut down and open the RAM cover. 512M RAM! But there is a 2Rx16 in
    the nomenclature, and my Control panel System screen say 1 gig of RAM.
    The next thing for me to try is the re-seating exercise. I'll be back...

    There is no room in the slot for aything else. I have to swap plug-in
    RAM chips, I think. The nomenclature on this RAM chip is

    512 MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200S-444-11-A0

    The receptacle says 57xPB.

    Do I buy one of greater capacity at Micro-Center? or what?

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  6. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Angelo Campanella" typed:
    >>The physical memory show 522M total, 56M available, 225M system cache,
    >>Kernal 163M, paged 86M, notepad 77M. (All afer I unloaded Firefox
    >>which often goes over 100M).

    > It looks like you may have had 2 x 512 and one of them had either died or
    > needs to re pulled / reinserted as it's not registering. That's probably why
    > you noticed the slowdown so much, a sudden drop from 1GB to 512MB. Usually
    > when it's just bloat it's not so noticable, being gradual.

    OK. Final roundup.

    After I sent the last message, I looked again at the Systemmcomponent
    count to see that, after disturbing the RAM socket, the tally came up to
    one Gig. So Misfit does get the cigar.

    The tally for memory is now
    Physical Total 1046M
    Availabe 479.
    Cache 610M
    Commit 411M/2459M

    > If it were my machine I'd get 2 x 1GB PC2-4200 SODIMMs and install them. (I
    > believe that's the max your machine can run.)

    when posible, I'll see wahat microcenter wants for the 2 gig.

    Thanks, fellows, it's been real (nice)

    Sincerely,

    Aangeo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Cool. Even if you just get a 1 gig SODIMM and replace the easilly acessable
    > one then 1.5 GB will run quite well.
    >
    > This is a good resource, it has a link to the relevant hardware maintainence
    > manual so, if you decide to go with 2 gig then you can access the second
    > SODIMM slot. (It's easy, it's just under the keyboard.):
    >
    > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T43

    I looked t that, but the photos shows components in place and I thought
    I should see an open slot.

    So you say that there is a second place to insert a fresh RAM? I think
    I see one there....

    I just called Microcenter here. They say that the 4200 is obsolete and
    that they have a 5600 that is backward compatible. Does this make sense?
    also he said the price was $30 for a 2 gig RAM. Am I misunderstanding?

    Finally, I have not had the keyboard of this T43 yet so i don't know
    how to do it.

    Comments?

    Thanks,

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  8. John Navas wrote:
    > I don't think adding 1 GB RAM will solve your problem.

    On re-seating the RAM, the count came up to a gig, and things are going
    faster now.

    But, on a Search (using search for words in documents), it became
    really slow again. I think the Explorer's text search is a lot slower
    than the filename search...

    I agree that I should search for malware; I have yet to do that sort of
    search. I'll try to work it in over he next several days.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  9. John Navas wrote:
    > What kind of search? Windows Desktop Search is very fast once indexing
    > is complete.

    OK, so I looked it up.. it's apperently a paid software. I nosed about
    and found a free download, but my XP turned up its nose at it, claiming
    it to not ne a valid win32 app. Who'd a'figgered? It might be just an
    update.

    > Standard search in Windows XP and earlier is very slow no
    > matter how much RAM you have because the scanning is done in real time.

    The search i now use is that bundled with "Windows Explorer".

    >> I agree that I should search for malware; I have yet to do that sort of
    >>search. I'll try to work it in over he next several days.

    > Make it a priority. Seriously. You can run Windows Live OneCare Safety
    > Scanner in the background while you do something else.

    You guys spiel off all these softwares as if they;re part of the bed
    linen. Some is. Some is not...

    Anyway, I need to settle how to upp to 2 gig RAM.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  10. John Navas wrote:
    > See the Hardware Maintenance Manual, link in my other post.

    OK.. downloaded manual, and for the keyboard it says to pull a few
    screws on the underside and then finesse the keyboard off the top... I
    think I can handle that.

    >> So you say that there is a second place to insert a fresh RAM? I think
    >>I see one there....

    > One on the bottom; one under the keyboard. See my other post.

    So, which of the following two items is true:

    1- The dimm I see on the bottom labeled 512M 2P is really two 512s on a
    single board, and that the top slot in question is now empty. -or-

    2- The dimm I see on the bottom is one of two dimms, being itself 512M.
    The other slot on top now has another 512 dimm in it.

    (I know I'm paranoid, but I have been twiddling with electronics gear
    since the 1950's, and I have been burned by odd semantics more than
    once... I like to get things clear. This aspect - misundersandings - has
    only been geeting worse...)

    >> I just called Microcenter here. They say that the 4200 is obsolete and
    >>that they have a 5600 that is backward compatible. Does this make sense?
    >>also he said the price was $30 for a 2 gig RAM. Am I misunderstanding?

    > Compatible parts are:
    > DDR2 PC2-4200 - CL=4 - Unbuffered - NON-ECC - DDR2-533
    > DDR2 PC2-5300 - CL=5 - Unbuffered - NON-ECC - DDR2-667

    OK I can handle that. I just need claraifaicarions about the onezys and
    twozies

    > If you're going to ask questions, please have the courtesy to read all
    > the answers more carefully.

    I'm trying.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 15, 2008
  11. Angelo Campanella

    Ed Guest

    From what I've been reading here lately, it would appear that the
    anonymous Jerk who calls himself "NEWS" has proclaimed himself the Chief
    Determinator of what NNTP servers are 'good' and what areas of the planet
    don't need Thinkpad Newsgroups ( everything outside North AMerica,
    apparently ).

    At least, that's the perspective given from his posts.

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 16, 2008
  13. "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:40:25 -0500, News <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >John Navas wrote:
    > >
    > >> Your news provider still doesn't seem to be getting my posting...

    > >Try using the REAL thinkpad newsgroup: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad

    > The real and official newsgroup is comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad
    > ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad is rogue, not carried by all news providers.

    Like an old biker friend of mine used to say, you run what you brung. When
    I went looking for relevent newsgroups on my ISP's news servers after buying
    my R51 series, ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad was all I could get. Now, I also get
    comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, but I had to wait for it. Since both groups give
    me good info, I use both.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)
    Tom Rutherford, Dec 16, 2008
  14. John Navas wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:42:28 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote in <-privat.org>:
    >>Somewhere on teh intarwebs "News" typed:
    >>>Apparently. None of which are relevent to North America. But there
    >>>you are.

    >>Indeed. Here I am.
    >>Only a North American person with a very limited outlook or a problem with
    >>their ego/penis length ratio would think that North America was the be-all
    >>and end-all of usenet. The Chinese basically own the US, it might pay you to
    >>start thinking globally, in case they call in their debts. You could end up
    >>working in a rice paddy, (assuming that you're of sound mind and body).

    > That may be an unwarranted assumption. ;)

    EVERYBODY!

    Grow up!!!!!!!.

    This (Newsgroups/google) is a very useful medium. don't waste bandwidth
    quibbling like 10-year-olds.

    But I sincerely appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

    Ang. C.
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 16, 2008
  15. ~misfit~ wrote:
    quoting
    >>His problem was due to a SO-DIMM not seated properly, cutting real
    >>memory from 1 GB down to 512 MB, below the committed amount of memory,
    >>thus causing severe swapping and system slowdown. With the SO-DIMM
    >>seated properly the full memory is restored, and the system is back to
    >>running normally. That's point #1.

    True.

    > Yeah, any added memory might "only" be used for caching. However, it's many,
    > many times faster than caching to disk so therefore _will_ have a big, nay
    > *HUGE*, impact on performance.

    True.
    > I'm quite happy to say that, if you hadn't created this group then Angelo
    > may not have got the answers he needed so readilly. Is that enough for you?
    > Angelo, please thank John for setting up this group. It seems he has a
    > pressing need to be the alpha here.

    I do indeed do that..

    [A decade or so ago I, too, started a newsgroup,
    alt.sci.physics.acoustics
    because I wanted to rap on the subject for my benefit as well as others
    around the globe. It's worked out fine despite some horrific storms of
    interlopers, including a personal visit to one when the opportunity
    arose. I just kept sending out periodic reminders of the purpose (lofty)
    of the newsgroup and the history of the newsgroup. It has worked for
    more better than more worse... It's still running. Let's hope you all do
    as good as or better than that . With that newsgroup, we developed an
    FAQ file that is available for download:
    http://www.campanellaacoustics.com/faq.html
    It's been translated at least into Dutch and into Chinese.

    Back to my issue, I suspect my problem to be more RAM than malware, but
    I agree that maalware existence needs to be checked out. Right now, my
    system is stable enough to keep my work going.

    I checked with Microcener again. This time they said the 4200 is $60
    for a gig and becoming obsolete, while the 5200 is really cheap at &20
    to $30 a gig. They also said the 5600 is faster, but may not be
    compatible with a remaining 4200. which means I have 2 options; buy one
    4200 at $60, or buy two 5600s and then tackle the work of pulling the
    keyboard. I've had lab tops opened up like that before... there is
    always a 10% chance of (my) breaking some plastic in the process....

    I'm mulling it over.

    On another matter, I downloaded The Windows SEARCH program and mounted
    it. The installation becomes all but finished when a MAPI32.dll file
    "was not found"... What's installed really won't work The shell program
    mounts and can do some things, but cataloging of the HD does not occur,
    so searches always produce nil. The companion cataloging program won't
    work at all.

    I suspect the MAPI32.dll hiatus signals something deeper..

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 16, 2008
  16. John Navas wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:56:57 GMT, Angelo Campanella
    > <> wrote in
    > <JZR1l.79755$>:
    > With a bit of Google searching I found "Windows Desktop Search Help,
    > mapi32.dll missing"
    > <http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=901712&SiteID=1>

    In that (apparent discussion) group it was suggested to simply run
    "FIXMAPI", which I did. I releaoded SEARCH again and this time the error
    message did not show. I then tried it on several key words, and the hits
    began to show after a while... not perfect to use since I place my task
    bar vertical on the right edge to save vertical head room. But I can hit
    it up for some better quck answers than I was able to get with Windows
    Explorer Search alone.

    Thanks.

    > Search is configured by default to search Ouchlook and Ouchlook Express
    > email. You don't use them and it seems that a missing MAPI32.DLL is
    > being referenced by one of them, probably Ouchlook. Uncheck the email
    > indexing & searching options and I think all will be well.

    I find that I do have Outlook installed but I never use it... still
    having several older sofwares on board that first filled thoee needs
    perhaps a decade ago.

    > Otherwise, have you checked to see if you actually do have the file,
    > perhaps just in a different location? It's normally located in
    > c:\WINDOWS\system32, but might also be in c:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\System\Mapi\1033

    It was ther, but not any of those places.... just where is that
    screwdriver when you need it?

    > If you do have the DLL file it may not be registered. Search Help and
    > Support for "register dll" to find info on Regsvr32, which is used to
    > register DLLs.

    Don't ask. Don't tell.

    >>I have Lavasoft Ad-Aware installed and I se it regularly,

    > AdAware is only effective against spyware, and likewise far from perfect
    > -- again, have you run a complete scan?

    Yes, With AdaWare and with Norton AV.

    > Where are you coming up with "rookery"?

    Perhaps not the right word... several spywares were cited here as
    appropos....

    > RegCure is scamware.

    I won't ask.

    > Use free Microsoft Windows OneCare Live Safety Scanner instead of
    > RegClean (or any other Registry cleaner)

    I tried that. gott bogged down in a skirmish with my pop-up blockers
    and other sundy fences that successfully foiled Microsoft.

    Thanks... next, more memory when I muster up the courage and the will
    to drive 10-15 miles each way to microsoft.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 17, 2008
  17. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > IMO buying one 5600 is still an option. At the worst case scenario you might
    > have to buy another if, for some bizzare reason it doesn't work with your
    > existing module. <shrug>

    Happy to say that I sprung for a 5300 DDR2 this evening for $18,
    installed it and it works OK... 1.5 gig up and running. It seems to run
    about as quick as I ever have seen it run... This may be enough RAM for
    now without pulling the keyboard.

    Thanks to ALL, it's working OK now.

    I even have Windows Search up and running. I have to get used to its
    categories for where to search, as I still come up with blanks at
    times... but that's no big deal.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 18, 2008
  18. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>Happy to say that I sprung for a 5300 DDR2

    > D'oh! 5300, that's what I meant.

    And th second one today for 2 gig total.

    The keyboard remove was not quite the way they explained.

    Screws came out OK after a little coaxing. I think they put chewing gum
    of the esnds of them..

    On top, proper release of the keyboard top is not as they show it. I
    struggled trying to emulate what their dawings said, but it did noy
    work. It works better if the 1/2"x5" sub-bezel around the several round
    buttons is coaxed off first. Then it's clear how well the keyboard shift
    away from you is proceeding. it only takes a millimeter or two of that
    shift to free the end edges of the keyboard.

    Cheers,

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 18, 2008
  19. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > It then goes on to say to always use new screws and a whole bunch of other
    > screw-related things. However, I always re-use the screws. <shrug>

    The dirty little secret is that as often as not, the loc-tite is so
    good that the Phillips slots get chewed up pretty bad on getting the
    screw out that's it's foolish to try to re-use it. I was lucky in that
    my messings were slight so that the scerws could be re-used.

    > Not to cause friction but I've pulled a few ThinkPads to bits now, always
    > using the service manual, and have found several places where it's been
    > incorrect, where I've had to work things out for myself. However, that said
    > the manuals are great. I find that they're right about 95% of the time.

    That's about right. The precise sweet spot is not evident in the
    figures. Theyy imply pressing the bezel. In reality, the sweet spot is
    addressed by applying a horizontal force to the keypad surface edge.
    When I popped out the little 1/2"x5" sub-bezel, it wa clear that the
    keypad plane can move and clear where the force could be applied, and
    then it was intuitive.

    ngelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 20, 2008
  20. Angelo Campanella

    Ed Guest

    > The dirty little secret is that as often as not, the loc-tite is
    > so
    > good that the Phillips slots get chewed up pretty bad on getting the
    > screw out that's it's foolish to try to re-use it. I was lucky in that
    > my messings were slight so that the scerws could be re-used.

    A little known bit of information that might be useful here is that not
    all Phillips head screws are created equal. Phillips head screws usually
    found in Japanese electronic equipment ( Land Mobile Radio and Computer,
    in my experience ) are slightly different than Phillips head screws made in
    the West. I went to some lengths years ago to get a set of Phillips screw
    drivers specifically made for these Japanese screws. Their slots are
    somewhat thinner, and the angle of the cut is deeper... using most US
    Phillips drivers tends to fit poorly and cause damage to the head.

    Unfortunatly I am traveling for some time and unable to provide more
    detailed information here on the drivers I use, their source, or more
    specifics on this subject. Will try to do so next year if I can remember.

    Ed
    Ed, Dec 20, 2008