Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck The Destroyer, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    My question is:

    Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

    The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    motherboard.

    I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

    If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

    They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    transfer ???!!!???

    Or are there other safety concerns ?

    Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))

    What your toughts on that ? :p*

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    english please :)

    Skybuck The Destroyer, Jun 1, 2007

  2. Re: Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too?

    Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

    Static electricity travels very well through air. In the early 80's I
    watched people in an office that had just installed shag carpet "launch"
    bolts of static electricity several inches to the terminals. This made
    a great show of jiggling on the screen and probably didn't help their
    lifespan any.

    > The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    > motherboard.
    >
    > I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
    >
    > If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
    >
    > They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    > transfer ???!!!???

    Exactly how do you prevent "bad" electricity through a wire but not
    "good" electricity? What might have happened is that your static charge
    traveled to the metal connector for the USB port and from there through
    the computer.

    > Or are there other safety concerns ?
    >
    > Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))
    >
    > What your toughts on that ? :p*

    If you want to cut down your static risk use a fabric softener like Dawn
    and spray the carpet around the computer. It won't eliminate it
    completely but will make a difference. Otherwise place the computer in
    a clean room with Tempest shielding.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Skybuck The Destroyer

    mpm Guest

    On Jun 1, 3:19?pm, Skybuck The Destroyer
    <> wrote:

    The metal part you are talking about is probably connected to ground.
    And discharge through ground should not affect the motherboard.

    Yes, a static current flowing in the ground circuit (fault) is not
    ideal, but I don't know that it would damage a motherboard directly?
    Are you the individual who posted recently that you had (2)
    motherboards die? If so, I am wondering if something else isn't
    wrong?? How many motherboards would it take? Are you building /
    upgrading the PC yourself? Are you using static control measures
    while handling the boards and semiconductors?

    Just a few thoughts to ponder. mpm

    mpm, Jun 1, 2007
  4. On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:19:22 -0700, Skybuck The Destroyer
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >My question is:
    >
    >Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?
    >
    >The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    >motherboard.
    >
    >I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
    >
    >If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
    >
    >They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    >transfer ???!!!???
    >
    >Or are there other safety concerns ?
    >
    >Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))
    >
    >What your toughts on that ? :p*
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    >P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    >english please :)

    Het is eigenlijk heel simpel.
    Een ESD veilige ruimte is in de meeste thuis situaties niet altijd te
    realiseren, maar je kunt daarentegen heel eenvoudig je apparatuur
    voorzien van randaarde. Een ESD ontlading zoekt altijd de weg van de
    minste weerstand en dat is de randaarde.
    Mocht je nu aan je PC willen knutselen, dan zorg je voor een
    anti-statische mat die je vervolgens met de juiste middelen aan de
    randaarde koppelt, je plaatst daar je PC op (het netsnoer laat je
    zitten tot het moment dat je apparatuur daadwerkelijk op de mat staat)
    en je verbindt jezelf met een daartoe geschikte polsband aan deze
    anti-statische mat.
    De anti-statische mat is dus je virtuele aardpunt.
    Als je nu ook nog beschermende koolstof kleding draagt tijdens de
    klus, dan hoef je nergens meer over in te zitten.

    JK

    Jaap Knasterhuis, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Skybuck The Destroyer

    mr deo Guest

    "mpm" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 1, 3:19?pm, Skybuck The Destroyer
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > The metal part you are talking about is probably connected to ground.
    > And discharge through ground should not affect the motherboard.
    >
    > Yes, a static current flowing in the ground circuit (fault) is not
    > ideal, but I don't know that it would damage a motherboard directly?

    No, it shouldnt..

    I know that all stages of the PSU share a common ground, and I think that
    common ground is return'd to the Earth/Ground of the plug.

    mr deo, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Skybuck The Destroyer

    mr deo Guest

    > Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    > P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    > english please :)

    Hi Skybuck
    I have been following your problems and I know what the problem is..

    It's user error. I suggest you box up your dream pc, your static flip flops
    or whatever, and go buy a dell laptop.

    mr deo, Jun 1, 2007
  7. Skybuck The Destroyer

    default Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >My question is:
    >
    >Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?
    >
    >The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    >motherboard.
    >
    >I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
    >
    >If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
    >
    >They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    >transfer ???!!!???
    >
    >Or are there other safety concerns ?
    >
    >Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))
    >
    >What your toughts on that ? :p*
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.
    >
    >P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    >english please :)

    Static can go through some plastics - usually ones the manufacturer
    takes steps to make them conductive. Static can pass through wood if
    reasonably moist. Static will always travel via metals - but not
    necessarily metal oxides.

    Static can build up on the surfaces of insulated conductors,
    insulators, and semi conductive insulated pieces.

    Have a negative ion generator in the room? That's is asking for
    trouble.

    The problem isn't the board maker - it is you. Good practice says
    that you be at the same voltage potential as the computer before you
    touch anything inside it. Easiest way is ground yourself and the
    computer, then touch things inside.

    Avoid working when the air is dry and be very careful.

    default, Jun 2, 2007
  8. Skybuck The Destroyer

    bandit Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:07:27 GMT, "mr deo"
    <> wrote:

    >> Bye,
    >> Skybuck.
    >>
    >> P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    >> english please :)

    >Hi Skybuck
    >I have been following your problems and I know what the problem is..
    >
    >It's user error. I suggest you box up your dream pc, your static flip flops
    >or whatever, and go buy a dell laptop.

    No he needs to get rid of all his PC's and do us all a favor :)

    bandit, Jun 2, 2007
  9. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Eeyore Guest

    Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:

    > I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.
    >
    > If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !
    >
    > They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    > transfer ???!!!???

    You're supposed to discharge any static on yourself before touching these
    things.

    Better still, avoid wearing the kinds of clothing that 'generate static' (in
    other words wear pure cotton only - no synthetic content) and also treat any
    carpet in the area with an anti-static spray to avoid generating static
    electricity when you walk across it.

    If you broke something with static it was only your own stupidity and ignorance
    that was to blame. It is impossible to make the internal components of a PC
    totally Skybuck The Idiot proof.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Jun 2, 2007
  10. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Ty Guest

    Re: Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too?

    Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

    static and or electricity seek ground. plastic is normally an insulator
    but can be persuaded to conduct until a vaporized/magma state is
    achieved. This type of situation beyond the norm, like natural purple
    hair sticky.

    Ty, Jun 2, 2007
  11. On 2007-06-01, Skybuck The Destroyer <> wrote:

    > P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    > english please :)

    En wat nu als we dat niet doen? Gaan dan al die Engelsen in paniek raken ofzo?

    --
    Ruben

    Misfortune, n.: The kind of fortune that never misses.

    Ruben van der Leij, Jun 2, 2007
  12. Skybuck The Destroyer

    victor Guest

    Ruben van der Leij <> schreef in nl.comp.hardware:

    > On 2007-06-01, Skybuck The Destroyer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    >> english please :)

    > En wat nu als we dat niet doen? Gaan dan al die Engelsen in paniek
    > raken ofzo?
    >
    > --
    > Ruben
    >
    > Misfortune, n.: The kind of fortune that never misses.
    > -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

    Maar gelukkig heb je wel een indrukwekkende Engelse sig.

    --
    mvg, victor

    victor, Jun 2, 2007
  13. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Skybuck Guest

    No just one, the other died many years ago.

    Using no measurements, except: touching the heating/radiator.

    Someone once said that helps get rid of static electricity ? ;)

    But I probably didn't do that when I connected the mouse.

    Also I wonder if it really helps and how much do I get rid of it ?

    Because I was probably heavily loaded with static elec...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 2, 2007
  14. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Skybuck Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:33 pm, Jaap Knasterhuis <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:19:22 -0700, Skybuck The Destroyer
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >My question is:

    > >Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

    > >The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    > >motherboard.

    > >I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

    > >If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

    > >They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    > >transfer ???!!!???

    > >Or are there other safety concerns ?

    > >Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))

    > >What your toughts on that ? :p*

    > >Bye,
    > > Skybuck.

    > >P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    > >english please :)

    > Het is eigenlijk heel simpel.
    > Een ESD veilige ruimte is in de meeste thuis situaties niet altijd te
    > realiseren, maar je kunt daarentegen heel eenvoudig je apparatuur
    > voorzien van randaarde. Een ESD ontlading zoekt altijd de weg van de
    > minste weerstand en dat is de randaarde.
    > Mocht je nu aan je PC willen knutselen, dan zorg je voor een
    > anti-statische mat die je vervolgens met de juiste middelen aan de
    > randaarde koppelt, je plaatst daar je PC op (het netsnoer laat je
    > zitten tot het moment dat je apparatuur daadwerkelijk op de mat staat)
    > en je verbindt jezelf met een daartoe geschikte polsband aan deze
    > anti-statische mat.
    > De anti-statische mat is dus je virtuele aardpunt.
    > Als je nu ook nog beschermende koolstof kleding draagt tijdens de
    > klus, dan hoef je nergens meer over in te zitten.
    >
    > JK- Hide quoted text -

    Wat is dat randaarde ?

    Is de verwarming/radiator verbonden met de aarde ?

    Ik snap daar geen hol von.

    Doei,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 2, 2007
  15. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Skybuck Guest

    On Jun 2, 3:15 am, Eeyore <>
    wrote:
    > Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
    > > I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

    > > If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

    > > They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    > > transfer ???!!!???

    > You're supposed to discharge any static on yourself before touching these
    > things.
    >
    > Better still, avoid wearing the kinds of clothing that 'generate static' (in
    > other words wear pure cotton only - no synthetic content) and also treat any
    > carpet in the area with an anti-static spray to avoid generating static
    > electricity when you walk across it.
    >
    > If you broke something with static it was only your own stupidity and ignorance
    > that was to blame. It is impossible to make the internal components of a PC
    > totally Skybuck The Idiot proof.
    >
    > Graham

    I disagree, static electricty, ground, and things like that are beyond
    the understanding of everyday people that use computers.

    My sister, my mother, my brother, your uncle, anybody could connect a
    mouse and damage a piece of hardware.

    It's the hardware designers job to try and prevent that from happening
    as much as possible =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck, Jun 2, 2007
  16. On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:45:09 -0700, Skybuck <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 1, 10:33 pm, Jaap Knasterhuis <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:19:22 -0700, Skybuck The Destroyer
    >>

    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Hello,

    >> >My question is:

    >> >Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or plastics too ?

    >> >The back of the pc has a metal (?) brace which is part of the
    >> >motherboard.

    >> >I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

    >> >If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

    >> >They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    >> >transfer ???!!!???

    >> >Or are there other safety concerns ?

    >> >Maybe metal is good ? (Don't think so though ;))

    >> >What your toughts on that ? :p*

    >> >Bye,
    >> > Skybuck.

    >> >P.S.: Posted to dutch newgroup too, hope that's ok :), reply in
    >> >english please :)

    >> Het is eigenlijk heel simpel.
    >> Een ESD veilige ruimte is in de meeste thuis situaties niet altijd te
    >> realiseren, maar je kunt daarentegen heel eenvoudig je apparatuur
    >> voorzien van randaarde. Een ESD ontlading zoekt altijd de weg van de
    >> minste weerstand en dat is de randaarde.
    >> Mocht je nu aan je PC willen knutselen, dan zorg je voor een
    >> anti-statische mat die je vervolgens met de juiste middelen aan de
    >> randaarde koppelt, je plaatst daar je PC op (het netsnoer laat je
    >> zitten tot het moment dat je apparatuur daadwerkelijk op de mat staat)
    >> en je verbindt jezelf met een daartoe geschikte polsband aan deze
    >> anti-statische mat.
    >> De anti-statische mat is dus je virtuele aardpunt.
    >> Als je nu ook nog beschermende koolstof kleding draagt tijdens de
    >> klus, dan hoef je nergens meer over in te zitten.
    >>
    >> JK- Hide quoted text -

    >Wat is dat randaarde ?
    >
    >Is de verwarming/radiator verbonden met de aarde ?
    >
    >Ik snap daar geen hol von.
    >
    >Doei,
    > Skybuck.

    Dat is intussen wel duidelijk geworden!

    JK

    Jaap Knasterhuis, Jun 2, 2007
  17. Skybuck The Destroyer

    default Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:46:57 -0700, Skybuck <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 2, 3:15 am, Eeyore <>
    >wrote:
    >> Skybuck The Destroyer wrote:
    >> > I touched it, and maybe could have damaged the motherboard that way.

    >> > If so, then ofcourse it's the designers, in this asus, own fault !

    >> > They should use material which do not allow static electricty to
    >> > transfer ???!!!???

    >> You're supposed to discharge any static on yourself before touching these
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Better still, avoid wearing the kinds of clothing that 'generate static' (in
    >> other words wear pure cotton only - no synthetic content) and also treat any
    >> carpet in the area with an anti-static spray to avoid generating static
    >> electricity when you walk across it.
    >>
    >> If you broke something with static it was only your own stupidity and ignorance
    >> that was to blame. It is impossible to make the internal components of a PC
    >> totally Skybuck The Idiot proof.
    >>
    >> Graham

    >I disagree, static electricty, ground, and things like that are beyond
    >the understanding of everyday people that use computers.
    >
    >My sister, my mother, my brother, your uncle, anybody could connect a
    >mouse and damage a piece of hardware.
    >
    >It's the hardware designers job to try and prevent that from happening
    >as much as possible =D
    >
    >Bye,
    > Skybuck.

    Computers and the Internet are beyond the understanding of everyday
    people that use computers, that doesn't stop them.

    OK NEW RULE: no one is allowed to buy a computer without first
    demonstrating complete mastery of the computer.

    More seriously:

    All engineering is compromise. You learn to make the best choices
    operating within the scope of what is possible, and practical. All
    solutions to problems contain the seeds of other, different, problems.

    I think the manufacturers do plenty to make computers resistant to
    static discharge. The problem is that when conductors and insulators
    are measured in angstroms, there just isn't enough conductor or
    insulating material there to withstand high potentials.

    Insulation resistance is measured in volts per mil. Large scale
    integrated circuit fabrications are orders of magnitude thinner.
    Static discharges are thousands of volts.

    The problem is intrinsic to the parts themselves. Use other parts?
    Can't - - - or can but then the computer takes up a lot of room,
    becomes slower, costs much more, and can't run the graphical software
    your sister,mother,brother,uncle,et al can use.

    Remember the old UNIVAC? sucked down tons of power, you had to learn
    machine language to program it, no memory to speak of, not user
    friendly, unreliable as all get out, but static electricity (short of
    a lightening strike on the mainframe) wouldn't damage it.

    Perhaps when the technology changes and photons become logical
    elements or biologic self-repairing computers come along, it won't be
    a problem. Until then this is the state of the technology available.

    You are the one having the problem - it isn't as universal as you
    probably think. Most of us know about it and how to work without
    destroying the stuff.

    Cost is still a factor too. A 100% metal shell keyboard, would be
    better, heavy and costly. Connectors could be made that make the
    ground connection before internal works are exposed to static, they
    may be so large, and costly, as to be impractical.

    There's no such thing as idiot proof. You wouldn't expect your car to
    go without oil or coolant, is that a weakness in the design? Could
    cars be designed to work without oil or coolant? Probably - low
    thermal coefficient high temperature ceramics, increased pollution due
    to wider tolerances, and a cost no one could afford.

    Until the technology changes, why not just learn how to deal with the
    limitations? It is the only choice, and griping about it won't change
    it.

    Why do you have so much trouble in accepting that you did something
    wrong? Learn from it, stop doing it, and move on.

    Your question: "Does static electricity travel via metal only ? or
    plastics too ?" speaks volumes of your own lack of understanding. It
    isn't a weakness to be ignorant about something, it is a weakness to
    be unable to learn because of one's bias.

    default, Jun 2, 2007
  18. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Ben Doedens Guest

    Skybuck wrote:

    > Wat is dat randaarde ?
    > Is de verwarming/radiator verbonden met de aarde ?
    > Ik snap daar geen hol von.

    Waar ben je grootgebracht? In Engeland spreken ze nml niet over randaarde,
    maar over live (bruine draad), neutral (blauwe draad) and ground
    (geel/groene of grijze draad) en hebben ze driepolige stopcontacten en
    stekkers.

    In Nederland gebruiken we het begrip "randaarde" omdat de aarding aan de
    rand van de stekkers en contactdozen zit. De aarddraad van
    woonhuisaansluitingen bestaat uit een koperen pijp die enkele meters de
    grond ingeslagen wordt. Bij grote woningbouwblokken komen zelfs
    ringleidingen voor die op meerdere plaatsen met een pijp in de grond, dus
    met "aarde" verbonden zijn.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,
    Ben Doedens

    Ben Doedens, Jun 2, 2007
  19. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Skybuck Guest

    On Jun 2, 2:57 pm, "Ben Doedens" <> wrote:
    > Skybuck wrote:
    > > Wat is dat randaarde ?
    > > Is de verwarming/radiator verbonden met de aarde ?
    > > Ik snap daar geen hol von.

    > Waar ben je grootgebracht? In Engeland spreken ze nml niet over randaarde,
    > maar over live (bruine draad), neutral (blauwe draad) and ground
    > (geel/groene of grijze draad) en hebben ze driepolige stopcontacten en
    > stekkers.
    >
    > In Nederland gebruiken we het begrip "randaarde" omdat de aarding aan de
    > rand van de stekkers en contactdozen zit. De aarddraad van
    > woonhuisaansluitingen bestaat uit een koperen pijp die enkele meters de
    > grond ingeslagen wordt. Bij grote woningbouwblokken komen zelfs
    > ringleidingen voor die op meerdere plaatsen met een pijp in de grond, dus
    > met "aarde" verbonden zijn.

    Is allemaal leuk en aardig maar ik snap er nog geen hol van ?

    Ik heb een plastic vloer, is die verbonden met die metalen pijp ?

    Of alleen verwarmingen ?

    En ook de eletriciteits stopcontacten ?

    Wat is er precies verbonden met die pijp die de grond in gaat ?

    In mijn stopcontacten zitten maar 2 gaatjes en niet 3.

    Dus dat vind ik zo vreemd.

    Hoe weet ik nou of mijn computer geaard is of niet ?

    Hij staat op het hout ?!

    Mensen zeggen, raak de kast van de computer aan, maar heeft dat wel
    zin als die niet geaard is ?

    Doei,
    Skybuck.

    P.S.: Ik zal het ook even voor die engels mensen zeggen

    Skybuck, Jun 2, 2007
  20. Skybuck The Destroyer

    Skybuck Guest

    On Jun 1, 10:26 pm, mpm <> wrote:
    > On Jun 1, 3:19?pm, Skybuck The Destroyer
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > The metal part you are talking about is probably connected to ground.
    > And discharge through ground should not affect the motherboard.
    >
    > Yes, a static current flowing in the ground circuit (fault) is not
    > ideal, but I don't know that it would damage a motherboard directly?
    > Are you the individual who posted recently that you had (2)
    > motherboards die? If so, I am wondering if something else isn't
    > wrong?? How many motherboards would it take? Are you building /
    > upgrading the PC yourself? Are you using static control measures
    > while handling the boards and semiconductors?
    >
    > Just a few thoughts to ponder. mpm

    I don't think my computer is grounded.

    It's on a wooden table.

    The outlets only have 2 holes not 3.

    Suppose I am correct and my PC is not grounded, then the tips of you
    or maybe others are useless:

    Touching the computer case does not allows get rid of static
    electricy, so it's unreliable advice.

    That's just my point I wanna make ;)

    I need something reliable or nothing at all... because half-half I
    don't like that all ;)

    Thanks to all anyway,
    Bye,
    Skybuck.