    Ron Krebs Guest

    TIA,

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Ron Krebs

    Paul Guest

    In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    <> wrote:

    > TIA,
    >
    > Ron

    Yes. 32 pin PLCC.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core2duo-e6300/board.jpg

    If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
    have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
    go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 5, 2006

  3. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Ron

    > Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core2duo-e6300/board.jpg
    >
    > If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
    > have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
    > go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
    >
    > Paul

    Drats. Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I have a 4Mb ROM BIOS
    Saviour now and want to use it in my new system. I would simply have
    reflashed it while it was in my old motherboard and then after power down,
    extract it and install on the P5W. Do you think IOSS will accommodate us
    soon? Thanks Paul

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Ron

    > Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core2duo-e6300/board.jpg
    >
    > If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
    > have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
    > go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
    >
    > Paul

    Hmmm, from looking at a close up picture of the P5W DH board, it looks like
    the PLCC chip is integrated into the mobo and not set into a socket. Looks
    like it won't be possible to use the BIOS Savior anyway. Oh well, the system
    is only near perfect now. heh thanks again,

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Ron Krebs

    Paul Guest

    In article <TrpLg.1874$I71.698@trnddc01>, "Ron Krebs"
    <> wrote:

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <D8kLg.4770$ub5.1805@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > >
    > > > Ron

    > > Yes. 32 pin PLCC.
    > >
    > > http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core2duo-e6300/board.jpg
    > >
    > > If you are thinking of buying a BIOS Savior, I don't think they
    > > have one suitable for an 8 megabit EEPROM. IOSS product only
    > > go up to 4 megabit EEPROMs.
    > >
    > > Paul

    > Hmmm, from looking at a close up picture of the P5W DH board, it looks like
    > the PLCC chip is integrated into the mobo and not set into a socket. Looks
    > like it won't be possible to use the BIOS Savior anyway. Oh well, the system
    > is only near perfect now. heh thanks again,
    >
    > Ron

    In the Xbitlabs photo, there is a brown socket for the PLCC.
    So that one can be removed. If you zoom into this photo on
    the product page, you might also be able to see the socket.

    http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

    I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
    selling enough to continue development of the product or
    something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
    carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
    I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
    I wouldn't try that.

    It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
    since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
    now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
    it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
    line and ask.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
    > selling enough to continue development of the product or
    > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
    > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
    > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
    > I wouldn't try that.
    >
    > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
    > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
    > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
    > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
    > line and ask.
    >
    > Paul

    Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb ROMs.
    But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I count
    six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message

    > In the Xbitlabs photo, there is a brown socket for the PLCC.
    > So that one can be removed. If you zoom into this photo on
    > the product page, you might also be able to see the socket.
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

    Would that be the socket in the lower right corner?

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Ron Krebs

    Paul Guest

    In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    <> wrote:

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
    > > selling enough to continue development of the product or
    > > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
    > > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
    > > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
    > > I wouldn't try that.
    > >
    > > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
    > > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
    > > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
    > > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
    > > line and ask.
    > >
    > > Paul

    > Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb ROMs.
    > But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I count
    > six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
    >
    > Ron

    Are you talking about this link ?

    http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/SelectionSheet.html

    In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
    right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
    that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
    were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.

    If you have another link, post it.

    As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
    the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
    PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
    with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
    pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
    coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
    center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
    from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
    picture.)

    http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg

    A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
    The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
    which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
    and 32 pin PLCC.

    http://www.chingistek.com/resource_center/docs/Pm49FL008 V0.5.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2006
  9. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > > > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
    > > > selling enough to continue development of the product or
    > > > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
    > > > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
    > > > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
    > > > I wouldn't try that.
    > > >
    > > > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
    > > > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
    > > > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
    > > > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
    > > > line and ask.
    > > >
    > > > Paul

    > > Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb

    ROMs.
    > > But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I

    count
    > > six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
    > >
    > > Ron

    > Are you talking about this link ?
    >
    > http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/SelectionSheet.html
    >
    > In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
    > right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
    > that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
    > were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.
    >
    > If you have another link, post it.
    >
    > As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
    > the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
    > PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
    > with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
    > pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
    > coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
    > center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
    > from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
    > picture.)
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg
    >
    > A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
    > The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
    > which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
    > and 32 pin PLCC.
    >
    > http://www.chingistek.com/resource_center/docs/Pm49FL008 V0.5.pdf
    >
    > Paul

    Paul, is that BIOS a Winbond chip?

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Ron Krebs

    Ron Krebs Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <tfxLg.4907$ub5.4903@trnddc07>, "Ron Krebs"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > > > I don't understand the thinking at IOSS. Perhaps they weren't
    > > > selling enough to continue development of the product or
    > > > something. One problem was fewer and fewer retailers were
    > > > carrying it, so maybe there was virtually no way to sell them.
    > > > I know a few people have bought directly from IOSS, but
    > > > I wouldn't try that.
    > > >
    > > > It looks to me like they won't be making an 8 megabit product,
    > > > since 8 megabit motherboards have been out for some time
    > > > now. If they were going to do it, they probably would have done
    > > > it a couple years ago. I suppose you could always drop them a
    > > > line and ask.
    > > >
    > > > Paul

    > > Paul have a look at this site. It sure looks to me that they have 8Mb

    ROMs.
    > > But would one of them be compatible with the ASUS P5W, who knows. I

    count
    > > six 8Mb ROMs in the RD1 category.
    > >
    > > Ron

    > Are you talking about this link ?
    >
    > http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/SelectionSheet.html
    >
    > In the selection chart, every time there is an "8M" entry, the
    > right hand column has a "-" indicating no product to support
    > that chip type. That is how I concluded in the past that they
    > were not interested in doing an 8 megabit version.
    >
    > If you have another link, post it.
    >
    > As for the picture, the socketed PLCC EEPROM is right next to
    > the middle one of the three PCI slots, on the bottom side of the
    > PCI slot. You can see the white paper label stuck on the PLCC
    > with the BIOS release info printed on it. This image is 450x450
    > pixels. If you use an image viewing tool with cursor
    > coordinates (0,0) in the upper left hand corner, the
    > center of the PLCC is at (88,237). (I.e 88 pixels over
    > from the left edge, 237 pixels down from the top edge, of the
    > picture.)
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/100/images/products/1198/1198_l.jpg
    >
    > A rough guess, is IOSS could use a chip like this for the job.
    > The PMCflash 49FL008 works with LPC or FWH, and autodetects
    > which kind of system it is connected to. It is 8Megabits
    > and 32 pin PLCC.
    >
    > http://www.chingistek.com/resource_center/docs/Pm49FL008 V0.5.pdf
    >
    > Paul

    Oh OK, I see it. The socket has the two slots for the removal tool at one of
    the diagonals.
    And looks just like the one on my old ASUS P2B SCSI board.

    Ron

    Ron Krebs, Sep 6, 2006